1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SCN5 / SCN6 Hardware Thread

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by egoexpress, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nima

Nima Member Gold Contributor

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: SCN5 Hardware Thread

hi,
    look in output sektion synaptrix on this place you overwride the scn5 pluin.any guys
    have this in the profil,you can set your velue in this place or delite the sektion.
  2. Henning Piez

Henning Piez Member

Balance:
    17Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

THx Nils,

I would never think of this connection between the value in the pluggin and the synaptrix. It's a pity that the value aren't the same size in both menus and so you have to find out with size is equal. So I will never use the SCN5 pluggin again in the future.
  3. dmatsumoto

dmatsumoto New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wow... finally got through all 43 pages of posts. I hope I didn't miss anything important. I picked up two of the recommended USB->RS485 adapters from eBay, and I received one SCN5 today. I also have the parts in my cart from Digikey to make the necessary cables, and I'm going to also add the parts for the estop circuit to the list. I don't have time to build the frame, yet, but am hoping to get going with the actuator on a test bed.

It sure looks like everyone has the tools needed to do this testing, but I was wondering if there is anything missing, as far as a test platform / application goes. Perhaps while I'm doing the testing, I can help out with something like that.
  4. EC Sim Hardware

EC Sim Hardware New Member

EC Sim Hardware - - CEO
    Balance:
    261Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Good morning,

Finally, we finished like you can see in our PRO motion Force topic, our motion simulator.
    Yesterday, we spend whole afternoon tro setup the geometry and try to get motion with Sender and Profiler but NOTHING great happens.

We are using Berney (SimXperience) starter kit wich we suposse is totally configured,

We conect actuator wire into box, alimentation wire and the last USB one.

The PC seems like didn't recognize anything about new hardware.

Also, in profiler and after set running sender software. going into SCN5 settings, didn't show any hardware in the scroll bar.

We doing all we can but for the moment, wee think need your help.

Thanks and best regards.
  5. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

I couldn't agree more.

Please send me an email so we can troubleshoot your difficulty with connecting the Plug-N-Play SX-3000 to the PC.
  6. EC Sim Hardware

EC Sim Hardware - - CEO
    Balance:
    261Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Good morning Berney,

Finally, we solve the conection issues.

It seems it was something wrong or incomplete with the SX 3000 drivers.

In control panel - - Hardware peripherals section it show great and without any update required exclamation but the conection failed.

We uninstall the drivers and install it again manually (without net conection).

All hardware parts recognize correctly and now it is working.

We go to record soon some actuators working video to show to the X - Sim community.

Thanks for your support Berney.

Best regards.
  7. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

The SX-3000 drivers install automatically when the USB cord is plugged in *IF* you have an internet connection so that the PC can connect to MIcrosoft's Windows Updates to get the drivers. Perhaps the internet connection was not functioning when you first plugged it in and Windows Updates could not obtain the drivers.

Thanks for the update.
  8. EC Sim Hardware

EC Sim Hardware - - CEO
    Balance:
    261Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You can't be more clear :clap:

It happens like you say.

Thanks you.
  9. Deleted member 4973

Deleted member 4973

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi everyone,
    Just finished reading the whole thread:)
    I have tried googling and on ebay for these parts but cannot find. Dyadic automatic RS485 adapter hardware ADP-1 .
    Does anyone know where to buy from?
    Are these the best?
    Do they work with windows 7?
  10. Deleted member 4973

Deleted member 4973

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Sirnoname,

yes i checked them out but are non capatible with windows 7 on the specs?
    After reading the whole thread people have had good and bad experience with converters.
    I am running windows 7 and would really appreciate if anyone else is running windows 7 if they could tell me exactly which converters and cables they use yhat definetly work the best and are the easiest to setup?
  11. Deleted member 4973

Deleted member 4973

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That is why i am asking . There are obviously developments since those ones. I would like to know the best ones that are available currently that people are using that work properly?
    I have found this one. What do you think?
    http://www.commfront.com/USB-Serial-Ada ... dapter.htm
  12. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    No!

The adapter you linked to is full-duplex. You need a half-duplex adapter.

I tried nearly every commercial adapter available at one point in time. Many offered poor performance or had reliability issues. Of the off the shelf adapters, I think those from Devantech (available at several robot shops) were the best.
  13. Deleted member 4973

Deleted member 4973

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  14. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Yes, I have tried that model. It had decent performance (about 220 updates/sec according to X-Sim) and was semi-stable. A few folks had problems with dead chips since and there is no fuse protection. If you happen to get a DOA unit, in the past, there were no problems with exchanges.

That said, I think it's one the best off-the shelf USB-RS485 adapters, other than the SX-3000 of course. :)
  15. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Did you have to make jumper cables to make the full-duplex into half or is there a jumper or setting for this? The link is not working above, but the only CommFront adapter I saw was full-duplex.
  16. Deleted member 4973

Deleted member 4973

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  17. Deleted member 4973

Deleted member 4973

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  18. Deleted member 4973

Deleted member 4973

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  19. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Do you see two of the same connectors on the two adapters? I don't.. which means you couldn't connect them if you wanted to. Then why would you need it?

You ask a question that was answered just before you asked it. Get some common sense and do your homework before diving into a project like this. :)
  20. tikebek70

tikebek70 New Member

Balance:
    352Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What do you guys think of this RS485 to USB adapter cable? http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documen ... CABLES.pdf
    Seems like a clean way to make the connections, the PCB is built into/with the USB housing and has stripped wires on the other end. The specs don't mention if it's half or full duplex, but one vendor told me that RS485 is always half duplex, If you need full then it's RS422. Is that the case?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.