1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SCN5 / SCN6 Hardware Thread

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by egoexpress, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmeidinger

tmeidinger New Member

Balance:
    - 29Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    Re: SCN5 Hardware Thread

Thanks Rene'

The reason would be because it is a 4 port in one unit which actually makes it reasonable in price and nice and clean.
  2. mereni

mereni New Member

Balance:
    47Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6

Hello

Santa Klaus has been very kind to me this year, and I am now the proud owner of a first experimental SCN6-050-200AB.

I have plugged it on a HEXIN R232-R485 converter.

My cabling seems correct so far (including the ILK at 24V !).

But my SCN refuses to show up in the interface settings of the Profiler, although the debug messages and the Serial Port Analyzer give encouraging results :

Debug Messages :

open found comport : COM1
    try to scan SCN5#0 on COM1
    response from SCN5#0 on COM1
    response accepted from SCN5#0 on COM1
    now init SCN5#0 on COM1
    write 115.2 kbps data response is accepted, SCN5#0 on COM1
    write memory switch delay data is accepted, SCN5#0 on COM1
    try reading serial number SCN5#0 on COM1
    serial number from SCN5#0 on COM1 is 62000100
    now start scanning registry SCN5#0 on COM1
    registry scan done SCN5#0 on COM1
    starting COM1 parameter update
    COM1 parameter update was successfull
    COM1 SCN5#0 try to init delay again
    COM1 SCN5#0 delay set failure

Port Analysis : attached

What direction(s) should I investigate ?

Please inform if any additionnal information might help with a diagnostic, or if there is any problem with the style and format of my first intervention on this forum

Attached Files:

3. mereni

mereni New Member

Balance:
    47Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6

Adapter is on a RS232 9 pin port (not USB)

Timing setup : is the attached what you need ? I have blindly tried all sorts of combinations DTR / RTS, and tried adding a zero to the delays, without success so far.

Attached Files:

4. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

This is not a new or experiemental actuator? It is the 100mm /sec version of the SCN6-020 or 040 series that would traditionally be used by sim builders.

Your switching timeout is too low, which is probably the reason for the delay set failure. Try upping it to 120, 40 will not work.

Also uncheck all of the check boxes. You can enter the remaining timeout values as 3,3,120. If this doesnt work, try clearing the X-Sim registry section.

May I ask what it is that you are going to build with a 100mm/sec actuator?
  5. mereni

mereni New Member

Balance:
    47Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6

The actuator is a standard SCN product. I wrote experimental meaning that if I manage to get it to operate properly, I will proceed with the acquisition of the others I need. I also wrote experimental because all the litterature I see around refers to SCN5, not to SCN6 (I feel somewhat relieved when I see you write that SCN6s are traditionnaly used by sim builders).

I have just tried with a delay of 120 with all 16 combinations DTR / RTS to no avail

Project is a rather massive (non commercial) 3 or 4 DOF platform both for car and planes. I earmarked the SCN6-050 for the load factor, not so much for the speed, although it will be appreciated when trying to get some vertical negative g's

If and when I manage to get my SCN6 to work, I will finalize the on-going design (CAD) and will be glad to share it.

Regards

Charles (mereni)
  6. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

Are you using a half-duplex adapter? The full-duplex Hexin adapter does not work well. Can you show us a picture of your adapter and the wiring.
  7. mereni

mereni New Member

Balance:
    47Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6

IT WORKS !

I changed the HEXIN to the equally cheap STM485S on the left of the picture and swapped the wiring + and - , simple as that ! :clap:

Thank you so much for your tip

Best regards

Charles

Attached Files:

8. LearnDriver

LearnDriver New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  9. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

I have tested this, it performs well.
  10. clarkii

clarkii New Member

Balance:
    792Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5

Hi bvillersjr, I just bought this adapter for mouser, can you share SCN5 plugin settings you used for testing with it? Also should I need to reverse the wiring for Data+ and Data- like some other adapters in order for it to work with X-sim. Thanks!
  11. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

Hi,

All FTDI adapters that I have tested so far (including these) work well with X-Sim plugin settings of 0,0,100. If for some reason you have difficulty, use SCN5 Plugin settings of 1,1,100.

I honestly don't recall if the Trx+ and Trx- needed reversed or not with this adapter. I believe that it did, but please don't quote me on that. We only used these adapters for a very short while before I decided to scrap them and design an adapter that better suited my needs. However, of all of the adapters I have seen so far, it is the best performing off the shelf option for DIY users, barring my own of course ;-)

Let us know how your install goes.

:cheers:
  12. clarkii

clarkii New Member

Balance:
    792Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5

Hi Bernard, I confirmed that the settings 0,0,100 in SCN5 plugin works. As for the TRX+/TRX- wiring. I found that there is NO need to reverse for this adapter. Will proceed to try out the game profiles. Thanks.
  13. FAG

FAG New Member

Perm/Russia
    Balance:
    413Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

For Japan Dyadic actuator connect ILK to 0V !!! not to +24
    Dyadic.jpg
    scn5_setuzokuzu.gif
  14. bleco

bleco Member Gold Contributor

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Killswitch utility?

Hi all!,

I was looking at the scn5 connexion diagrams and was wondering if adding a killswitch was really needed??

If I understood correctly, it will stop the actuators on their current position right?

But did someone actually ever had to use this? and for what reason? after a malfonction??

Thanks!

Bleco
  15. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

I've not seen any need for the kill switch yet. Unlike Frex, X-Sim is developed in such a way that if your PC flakes out, etc.. it does not send anything to the actuators and they simply do not move. I've heard of cases where people have taken a wild ride on their Frex. In two years, I've seen no issues with X-Sim.
  16. bleco

bleco Member Gold Contributor

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Thx Bernard!

It confirms pretty much what I tought ...

Bleco
  17. G-ForceSims

G-ForceSims New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi guys!

We're operating a 2DOF simulator, which is converted from Frex to X-Sim. We're using the sim mostly with LFS (95%) and sometimes with rFactor or RBR. We've noticed a strange thing with the SCN5 actuators: the're getting weaker after a couple of months. They operational time is ~50 hrs in a week. Is it usual with this kind of requisition? Can we do something about it (for example changing the motor in the actuator or just simply renewing the coil)? Any help we can get would be appriciated!
    Many thanks!
  18. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

If you are still using the Frex actuator angles, then this may be your problem. They are simply not optimal.

I have a bit of experience with actuator stress testing, I currently have a 2 year old set of 150mm actuators that were subjected to a 1 month continuous stress test, were used at trade shows for for non-stop (except driver switching) for 8 hour stints multiple days in a row. Bottom line - dissasembly and examination of the actuators shows no noticable wear and they are still as strong as ever.

I have several customers with sim racing centers who utilize there 30 simulators at full capacity as well. They have reported no issues.

There is a thread in these forums about optimal SCN5 actuator angles that may be helpful to you.
  19. G-ForceSims

G-ForceSims New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thank you for the quick answers :)

We will dig deeper into the forum and try to find an optimal setup for the actuators, because they're in the original Frex position. We'll check the encoders and the mechanical parts as well, but fortunately we didn't experienced any step losses during the software test (with the X-Sim, not the original tools).
    The first pair of actuators only began to produce these issues after 4 yrs with the same setup, but with much less usage. We hope that is a solveable issue :)
    If we'll find anything unusual, we will post it.

Thanks and regards :)
  20. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

I'm surprised that they lasted 4 years for you in that configuration. The SCN5's are rated at 10,000km of lifetime travel. It's tough to predict lifespan in hours / months / years because that rate that you consume your 10,000km depends on how often the sim if used and how agressive the motion profile is.

Aside from the 10,000km limitation (which you may have hit), things that can cause premature retirement of an actuator would be extremely dusty environments, improper actuator angles resulting in extreme actuator stress, excessive radial load resulting in premature bushing wear.

X-Sim does not full report missed steps or actuator error conditions so you might want to test with the Dyadic software as well.

Good luck

:cheers:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.