1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SCN5 / SCN6 Hardware Thread

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by egoexpress, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abe1911

abe1911 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: SCN5 Hardware Thread

You mean a resistor between T+ and T- ? In fact that's right i've no resistor ... my mistake. Putting such a resistor will solve my problem?
    I've made another improvement : I've link T+/R+ and T-/R-. With this modification I've no echo in Hyper terminal mode, but SCN5 is still no recognize by Profiler.
  2. abe1911

abe1911 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Unfortunetly, I've read the post after buying my converter....
    So I've to buy other ones. Hope not to make an other mistake. Which one is the best (cheapest, greatest, easyest, ...) ?

Thanks again for answers ...

Rgds
  3. toktiny

toktiny Member

Balance:
    - 20Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi there,

I have just completed my moton platform and find when I start Force-Profiler I am getting exactly the same problem as was described in a previous post here. My platform is as follows ;
    COMPONENTS USED :

Two SCN5,s
    Two Daventech USB-RS485 Modules
    Metap IM151C24-1M – 6.4 amp – 24V

I have discovered that nether of the SCN5,s are being detected by the Force-Profiler. Idiscovered this when I found that they were not been shown in the “Interface Settings” section.

By using the “debugmode” I followed the sequence of directions in the Force-Profiler at the start of the program where it looks for information from the SCN5’s.
    COM 3 and COM 4 had been set up in my PC to handle the platform. Now it went through the scanning like this :

1. “Try to scan SCN5 #0 on COM 3”
    2. “Response from SCN5 #0 on COM 3”
    3. “Response is not correct from SCN5 #0 on COM 3”

4. “Try to scan SCN5 #1 on COM 3”
    5. “Response from SCN5 #1 on COM 3”
    6. “Response is not correct from SCN5 #1 on COM 3”

This continued until SCN #15 on COM 3 and then moved onto exactly the same procedure for COM 4 with the same results.
    I have checked the wiring a dozen times and it is exactly as shown in the diagrams below. This wiring is a combination of what I have found other members are using (Connection to Power supply not shown but is standard).
    Below you will find details of COM 3 and COM 4 from “Free Serial Port Monitor”

Most grateful for any help

Attached Files:

4. toktiny

toktiny Member

Balance:
    - 20Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So sorry I think I put the last post in the wrong thread - hardware instead of software. My aplogies.
    I have corrected it.

Attached Files:

5. abe1911

abe1911 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi,

I've just received my news converters. It seems they work find : profiler well detects the actuator. But I still have a problem, Profiler says that ilk pin is not connected to 24V but in fact it is. I've try my other actuator thinking first one has a problem, but it's the same. Ilk pin is connected directly without any resistor or diod. My actuators are Frex one and 24v is not connected on wires from the first big plug (like your drawing) but from a little one with 3 wires (black, red, grey). Wires on the big plug corresponding to your drawing are already cut. Is it possible that the grey wire I've connected from the little plug is not the good one?

Thanks for your answer.
  6. abe1911

abe1911 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hello,

Finally I've solve my problem with PC tool from Dyadic. By putting Ilk pin on ON position. It seems that Frex actuators have modification compare to normal one : I saw that another user has had same issue as me.
    So now my actuators are well recognized by Profiler but I've no Ilk security
    If someone has same problem, don't hesaitate to MP me and I'll send PC tool software.

To be continued...
  7. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

toktiny has been able to solve the issue by swapping the RS485 data wires. (Never invert VCC/GND btw!)...

Regards

Attached Files:

8. knubs

knubs New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

HELP!! I'm a complete newbie and have read this thread at least five times and get more confused on each read...

I'm not sure which cable to choose...I want to be able to use my USB ports though.

If you have the time I would be so gratefull if you could help me out as to which adapter works best for someone like me with very little knowledge...

RS485 to RS232:

http://www.rs232-converters.com/RS232_to_RS485_Converters/RS232_to_RS485_Converter.htm

http://www.rs232-converters.com/RS232_to_RS485_Converters/Industrial_RS232_to_RS485_Converter.htm

USB to RS232:

http://www.rs232-converters.com/single_usb_to_rs232_converter.htm

USB to RS485:

http://www.rs232-converters.com/single_usb_to_rs485_converter.htm

Would it be best simply to purchase the ADP-1 adapter set from the SCN5 manufacturer and use a USB to RS232 with it?

If none of these will work...what are some that you have purchased that work for you? Links would be great!

Thank you in advance for your help!

knubs

Attached Files:

9. Gordo

Gordo New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Most excellent for the complete novie. Now I am not afraid to try!
  10. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Knubs: Go on ebay and type rc232 rs485 usb. Even earlier in the threads it shows that adaptor from ebay is good enough. They are not expensive.
  11. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

CAUTION: There are many adapters on eBay. Not all were successful in our early tests! In one of the pages of this post SirNoName lists several criteria (5 I think) that an adapter should have. For example, do not buy a full-duplex adapter!
  12. ribban

ribban New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi, i´m new here. First of all ,Thanks to all of you in this forum for all the tips and hints . I´m started my x-sim project for about 3 weeks ago and it´s starting to shaping up. :)
    Have a question- Must i use both connectors when i have power/IO cable from Miraiintertech ?

Thanks, ribban

Attached Files:

13. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

Welcome ribban

I believe that you will still need to connect the smaller cable as well. The smaller cable is for data communications and gets connected to your USB<-->RS485 adapters. Have you made it through the suggested reading for those building an SCN5 based simulator? Below is a link to my suggested posts. It's alot of reading but once your done, you'll fully understand what's going on and possibly avoid some costly mistakes.

http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/post18609.html?hilit=resources#p18609
  14. ribban

ribban New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi,Thanks.
    Yes,i have done that. It´s much for a newbee to learn. :) i thought it was needed to use both connectors but i was not 100% sure. Thanks for quick reply.

regards ,ribban
  15. Zhuravlik

Zhuravlik New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  16. sn4il

sn4il New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  17. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I've got these adaptors and when i;ve tested the actuators as I have not got a full sim setup done i get 110 up to 150 updates. But thing is one of them sometimes does 110 updates and the other would be 130 updates. I do not know if this is dangerous. I thought both would have to be identical in readings at all times. Once I have set my sim up I;ll just do a test and see how they feel. If it is rubbish then I will just buy some that bvillersjr is making. He says you can get up to 250 updates on his ones. mmm hard choices :)

Attached Files:

18. sn4il

sn4il New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Does he offer these for sale?
  19. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

Hi, I assume that you are talking about the SimXperience adapters that I am working on. These adapters will be made available for sale. However, before I complete their development and invest in an inventory of them, I will first be offering up an DIY Motion Starter Kit For SCN5 Users. You can read more about it here http://www.simxperience.com/Simulat...eries/MotionStarterKit/tabid/245/Default.aspx if you are interested. The kit which includes all cabling, two 150mm actuators, electronics, etc... will sell for $1200 USD. This kit will begin shipping in 6-8 weeks. X-Sim community members will receive a $55.00 discount.
  20. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

That adapter works well.

@Fahim- You should be able to get better performance than that with these adapters. You might want to check your settings and cables.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.