1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SCN5: 150mm vs 100mm

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by Fahim, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Dear sirs,

So everybody lets review the 100mm & 150mm actuators:
    100mm
    The positive: Longer lasting
    The negative not much tilt

150mm
    The positives: Better performance
    The Negatives: expensive, angles have to be precise.

:) Anybody want to help me out and add to this. :)

Kind Regards.
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    There are way more members with 100mm SCN5, so there will be more 100mm game profiles as well.

And as far as I remember, BvillersJr is thinking about switching to 100mm as well.

Personally I think 150mm is too much movement. It does move your body too much in relation to wheel and pedals.

Regards
  3. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Dear sir,

Stunning news, mmm I was just about to order the 150mm right now. I will have to think again for the 100oth time. :) for which size. Such a close call.

Kind Regards.
  4. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I was just thinking:

Would not the perfect solution be:

150mm actuators with a set limiter that would make the maximum stroke 100mm :) (33% limiter)

Then that means it will be like FREX but with just a safety barrier.

So bascially you are paying the extra money for safety :)
  5. dre99gsx

dre99gsx New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I actually prefer the extra movement of the 150mm, especially in the fore/aft direction. The 150mm just gives you more flexibility (and safety), but depending on your angles and chair setup, the 150mm can actually make up some differences that the 100mm would not be capable of.
  6. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Dear sir,

I've ordered the 100mm actuators even though for 4 months I've been thinking about the 150mm.

I just feel if heavy people were to come to my house, that the 150mm would struggle.

I spoke to Shige from frex once and he told me that they did intensive research into the actuators and they found the best solution.

100mm with 15%-20% limiter would be great, but I suppose 25% limit is what people will use.

I think it was Bvillersjr who said that for the 150mm, you have to have your actuator more acuratley placed. I think with my setup I would not be able to have them placed like he has on his simulator. There for 100mm I have ordered.

I just hope one day the software is changed so we can lower the safety limit to around 15%. Something that 150mm users do not need to worry about.
  7. mrpio

mrpio New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does the scissors tool in math editor effectively limit the range to the desired amount? Is it an alternative for the 25% limit on the actuators setup?