1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Sabertooth resistors

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by joel043, Jun 1, 2018.

1. joel043

joel043 New Member

Automotive Engineering student
    Balance:
    137Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone,

I am in the process of creating an electrical schematic for my simulator and something seemed quite odd.
    I have purchased a sabertooth 2x32, which has 2 included power resistors (5,1 Ohm & 10W each).
    When using the calculator on their website, it says that I should use 3 Ohm resistors for each channel, with a whopping 192W. I am using 24V motors. Since these are way bigger and more epensive than the inluded ones, is it advised to just buy the more expensive resistors, or should I be fine with one 5,1 Ohm 10W resistor per channel? Using a battery to absorb the regenerative current is not an option.
    I have seen some people use the resistors, but this huge difference between the value they advise on their site got me wondering..

Thanks in advance,

Joël
  2. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    If your input values were correct then their calculator gave you the resistor value they recommend. But you can always try what you have already. Worst case is you will get a smoking or possibly burning resistor. Therefore maybe have a fire extinguisher handy if you give it a go.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  3. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Old post but i've been looking a bit on this myself. I didnt buy any resistors when i got the sabertooth 2x32 as i had no clue what my wiper motors were in wattage or in power output. On a side note this is a G seat and i have about 10-14 amp max draw on the motors under my butt. When i measure both of these combined from the actual P1-P2 channel on the sabertooth i get a spike of about 0.4 amps and 0.2-0.3 average which gives me a result of 30hms at 4.8 watts so just divided that and went for some 40 ohm resistors to be a little on the safe side as i saw some very rare spikes of 0.3 on a single channel. Its in the ballpark anyhow

As i'm not an electrician in any way i'm not sure this is correct but it makes a lot more sense than the expensive 2 ohm and so on. It does not say specific what kind of braking forces we are talking about in the manual but i'm leaning more towards cars and things of that nature.

What do you guys think?