1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Sabertooth, Kangaroo2, Encoder issues 2DOF

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by PaulB, Mar 14, 2018.

1. bruce stephen

bruce stephen Hammer doesnt fix it, must be electrical

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,238 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    You might want to try 1kohm pull up for your encoder. See the manual for a detailed example.
  2. PaulB

PaulB Titanium2dof

Balance:
    723Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Rig is now working great. Thanks for all the help.
    Preliminary Rig setup at about 60% When I get this dialed in it'll rock!
    • Like Like x 2
  3. PaulB

PaulB Titanium2dof

Balance:
    723Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Motion platform, 6DOF
    This is what's working for me setting up: encoders, ttl-usb, kangaroox2, 2x32 Sabertooth, limit switches and 24volt wheelchair motors.
    I'm no electrician. So don't hesitate to correct any of this. : )
    Or add what I left out.

I started using 24 volts. Tuning Rig shorted out one HP600... Trying to get rig to work. Both had the mod (for a while:)
    Never reconnected the replacement, so I'm still using it at 12Volts running two 24 volt wheelchair motors. Works fine as you can see. Might go back to 24v if required.

Well here goes:
    Plug in Sabertooth, micro usb only. Set ramping to (.136) I have a lg1000 projector I wanted to protect. Increasing the ramping slows down the live test tune time, but reduces the shaking while tuning. (thing really wallows : )) I use my rig at the .136 and adjust smoothing using the axis Assignments filters in simtools. (Ramping the Sabertooth2x32 isnt required but it really saves my projector, or projectors if I add 2 more. Then again I might switch it out for 3 monitors.

I'm using 1 computer for everything! Works fine for me. 2 are probably better if you doing more tuning.

Plug everything in. Check everything. Walk away. Do it again. 24 v can hurt you!!

"Shielded" wires on your limit switches (should should be reading 0V closed, and 3.3V open)
    Don't switch polarity on your motors to reverse motor direction. Use simtools (There not slot cars :) Man I'm old!

Ensure encoders can't overrun the 80,000 count at ant time. Did that too!

Run DEScribe:
    [All inputs] Db 5%,Exp 0%, Rev Never, Speed Limit Use Pot1/Pot2, SR Dis.
    [Serial] 128, 115200, 128, 9600
    [Positioning] I run my home speed at 400 might be real slow for some.
    Do the live test Tune DEScribe. Check with Live position same tab. (reboot,save settings......)
    remember Save settings :)!

Simtools:
    COM#,BPS 115200,DB 8, P None, SB 1,OBR 12, Decimal,

1,start<13><10>1,home<13><10>1,units4095=8292<13><10>2,start<13><10>2,home<13><10>2,units4095=8222<13><10> 5ms

1,p<Axis1a><13><10>2,p<Axis2a><13><10> 10ms

1,powerdown<13><10>2,powerdown<13><10> 10ms

Sort out your Axis Assignments one at a time. If you want to have some fun and be confused, like I did. try 4 dofs and both axis all at once. Remember [save]

Get axis testing to work at 60% axis limit.

Get LFS working 1 DOF at a time. My Assetto Corsa tuned better than LFS for me. Don't know why. Both work fine though.

Everything should be working to the point of just tuning.

Hope this helps any of the other noobs out there.
    I nearly stopped my build, because of the numerous problems I created. Kudos to all people who help along the way. without there help I'd just have a pile of c--p in my house not the Rig that's helping my friends get ready for Pikes Peek and racing at Mosport park (Can). Nice to see your buddies with a kids smiles!

Update on the Rig: Tuning has increased travel from video, about 30%. one more upgrade to get another 20% I hope. Be in about a month or so.

P.S. Don't hesitate to improve, add or correct! to this post.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. bruce stephen

bruce stephen Hammer doesnt fix it, must be electrical

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,238 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Nice work @PaulB, ty for sharing. Glad to see you enjoying your work:thumbs