1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Rift CV1 - pixelation:(

Discussion in 'VR Headsets and Sim Gaming - Virtual Reality' started by Martyn, Apr 6, 2017.

1. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    The screen door effect on DLP projectors and televisions (what I currently use) was really bad in the beginning too. Really, really bad when you used a projector with a very large screen. This was latter resolved though by adding what is called wobbleization. When an image is projected with wobbleization there is a slight shifting in the light projecting mirror which then projects light over the black grid lines too that were caused by the mirror being laser cut into over 2 million micro mirrors. Unfortunately that kind of tech won't work on led /lcd etc. type screens but they will solve the issue some day.
  2. Bastiuscha

Bastiuscha Active Member

Balance:
    750Coins
    Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    After many hours playtime, i don't see the pixels/screendoor much. Of course, i want it still better. But the 110 degrees display and the cable, disturbing me much more, a the moment.
  3. Andrew M

Andrew M P_H_O_3_N_I_X

IT Chief Programmer / CTO
    Balance:
    585Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    We are all still waiting for a 4K gen. of VR,[ but then GPU would need to be upgraded as well - now my CV1 is toasting a 1080 with SS 2.0 on DCS, ProjectCars, only AssettoCorsa is holding 90 FPS all the time ].
    so untill 4K arrives you can only use SuperSampling - which improves a lot, [ if not enough performance then nvidia ATW and ASW by CTRL + 1-4 ].
    When I had a DK2 I also had mounted a ScreenMatte protection for a display [ must dissassemble the HMD ] -> it was also a big improvement with SS, but haven`t tried this on CV1.
    I actually even tested a PS VR which has much worse resolution [ something around 1080P, but offers almost unnoticable SDE - so the problem seems to be this AMOLED display [ with diamond pixels ].
    If I would have a free money then would try something which is called: Pimax 8K [ strange marketing name, because they use 2 * 4K screens ]...
    But personally I won`t sell my CV1 [ only exception is to change for a better 4K option ] because it gives the IMMERSION - you need, and honestly I can no longer play on flat monitors, or TV - especially on flight sims like a DCS - I just am so addicted to that feel of freedom that only VR offers [ trackIR is not as good as VR - so even with issues like SDE is OK, I also don`t see this after some time - or see only if want to see ] !
  4. Bastiuscha

Bastiuscha Active Member

Balance:
    750Coins
    Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Yes i heared about the pimax 8k, but the display is supposedly not so good.
  5. Fluke

Fluke Member

Balance:
    822Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    another one to keep an eye on is the DPVR E3 (or Depoon E3) that is supposed to have a far better screen than the Rift or Vive and 120 field of view. I almost bought it pre-order from GeekGear, but am now waiting for the reviews before I jump on it.

BTW - I have a Rift and dont notice the screen door when I get stuck into a flight or racing sim.
  6. Andrew M

Andrew M P_H_O_3_N_I_X

IT Chief Programmer / CTO
    Balance:
    585Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    They used some LED displays, [ but still another small step to the 4K future ] at least their first model, called 4K had a LEDs, but also lack of positional tracking and HDMI in version 1.4 [ so in practice - no real 4K option - those guys didn`t thought about it really... incredible :) ]
  7. Bastiuscha

Bastiuscha Active Member

Balance:
    750Coins
    Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hm, i heared, that the pimax 8k is LCD 60hz. Yes the 4k version, i already know. This one had perceptible latency:
  8. Bastiuscha

Bastiuscha Active Member

Balance:
    750Coins
    Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I'm in the same position, but i wait... i'm sure, in the next time, we will have a lot of new hardware. And 120degrees... sounds not like, the future. :)