1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Replacing potentiometers with Hall effect sensors

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by Dave T, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Dave T

Dave T New Member

Balance:
    95Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I just finished a full scale test after replacing the potentiometers in one of our controllers both steering and pedals with Hall effect sensors. The results show that they perform just as good or better than the high quality pots very steady with no glitching and very consistent through out there travel. We tested them with 8 bit, 10 bit and 12 bit processor chips. They will only work if the circuit board uses three wire potentiometers which all of ours do. The only thing I found out you can't do with the HES's is have combined axis, this where both pedals are on the same axis. There are only a few very old sims that require this so it's not really a problem. They are a little harder to set because they don't have any mechanical stops at the ends of there travel. The ones we used have slotted shafts which makes it easier to set them and you can also set them in any calibration routine that shows raw data value. The HES's we are working with have a 10,000,000 life cycle rating with a 8oz. side load and since they are non contact unlike potentiometers and in our application there isn't any side load I'm hoping they never have to be replaced just like the optical encoders we use in digital models. The HES's we are using are part number 6127V1A360L.5 available in stock from DigiKey electronics. I would suggest anybody with a joy stick or racing controller that uses 3 wire pots and needs them replaced check into HES's. If you have had any experience with them please let me know.

Thank You,
    Dave T:)
    www.thomas-superwheel.com
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Andy B

Andy B New Member

Machinist
    Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    While searching for information on converting potentiometers to Hall effect sensors, I ran across this post. I've been having issues lately with my pedal set going out of calibration and acting funny.

I decided to order the HES's that Dave suggested in this post. I made the necessary modifications to get them mounted correctly and did the install. During the calibration process, I was getting no movement to the on-screen slider and was concerned that they wouldn't work with the Bodnar adapter I use.

I contacted Dave to get his thoughts on the issue and he quickly responded with several things to check. After going over my wiring diagram that I made, I realized that I had mixed up the power and ground wires in my notes and that was causing the issue. I switched everything to there correct position and now things are perfect.

Thanks Dave for all of your help with this.

Andy