1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Ref Best option for visual display

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by wannabeaflyer, Sep 5, 2008.

1. wannabeaflyer

wannabeaflyer Active Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    :happy: Hi Guys he's is back, with another question, what type of screens do you feel give the most visual feedback. the reason i ask is that i have seen new DLP projectors now on sale for not much more than a 22 LCD monitor .. at that price £250.00 and prices seem to be flalling slowly ,you are almost at the point where it would be cheaper to buy a new projector rather than worry about a replacement lamp (after 2000 hours lamp life use) in the past replacemnt lamp cost have stopped a lot of people looking at projectors for our hobby, so with this lower price for a brand name projector all of a sudden we have more options for displays :D so i jus wanted to get some feedback from you guys about the options sinlge LCD Monitor, Triple head to Go with 3 LCD Monitors , Plasma Screen 32 and Above Or SVGA DLP projector ?? :cheers: Check out CPC.co.uk Sanyo PDG-0su208 & ACER X1160 they even have what they call a gaming projector made by INFOCUS for £140.00 but i think the resolution and contrast are too low for our needs
  2. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Hi,

i never wanna miss my Sanyo PLV-Z3 1280 x 720 (native resolution) projector. Price for a used one at Ebay ca. 400 Euro.
    I never found any better projector for that price and picture quality. It is a lcd beamer. I don´t like the rainbow effects at DLP ones.

The best thing is that you can replace the lamp with a cheap Halogen burner and one hour of your own work. Price round about 30 Euro for the lamp, when it has to replaced. ;D

So i prefer the projector technologie! In the past i was convinced about my 22 Benq TFT but there is nothing better, than a 82 picture. :) I do not claim with it. The visual impression is much more impressive when the screen is as big as possible.

regards
    René
  3. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here is a DIY projector... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6n6jW0XIV0

Do you have old spare monitors?

And this is a more sophisticated way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLOePC3Fotc

Regards, Thanos
  4. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi Thanos ..you remeber when i said i had my finger in many pie's :lol: well i was a member ( But Now iNACTIVE ) of LUMENLAB THE DIY PROJECTOR website and i actually did one of those using a PSONE Lcd screen and it actually worked ... the downside for me was the Noise and light overspill from the projector it sort of took attention away from the action on screen :eek: .. great way to learn another bit and who know in the future i may revisit that project Thanks for the Post. :cheers: i ended up buying one of those Chinise Projectors that use 150Watt halogen bulbs and have that stuck on the workshop ceiling for the flight sim

Attached Files:

5. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I have a Benq SL705X SXGA beamer. I am not able play games anymore with TFT' or CRT' displays. I am getting tired quite fast by watching little displays.

Multiscreen setups are at least better than a single one, but I prefer bezel free screens.

Though I am quite satisfied with the SL705X, I'll replace it with a widescreen beamer, once the lightbulb is depleted. I spent unbelievable 2200Euro for it some years ago. And these days a new projector is cheaper than a spare lightbulb for it^^

Imho, it's not worth to build DIY beamers anymore, as their price is quite affordable these days, and the DIY beamers dont bring comparable picture quality afaik.

Imho not even a projection screen is needed. I do project it directly on a white wall, and I do get a very brilliant picture.

Regards
    Christian
  6. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    by watching the guy disassembling the tft - wouldnt it be possible to make your own nearly bezel free triple screens this way?
    Seems one is able to get rid of almost all bezel.

For example: make a curved frame and put a bendable transparent plastic sheet on it, and glue a see-through (10-20%) mirror foil or tint film on it.
    Then place 3 disassebled TFTs behind it.

Regards
    Christian
  7. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    :hi: Christian have to admit am seriously thinking about another projector for Christams present to myself :rofl: dont think the little lady will stretch to that as a present but you never know... still trying to convince her she will spend as much time in the new sim as me once it's up and running :happy: ( well thats how im selling it to her at the moment ) my current projector is only 800 x 600 (will check the spec later) but does have a multiplier that will boost it to Twice the native resoloution just not tried it with the car sim yet ... the light is only a 150Watt halogen bulb which is fine in a dark room but next one will be 2000 + Lumens for sure. who knows they may be even chepaer by christmas.. at the rate at which stores are dropping the prices for Plasma and LCD tv's at the moment ( some places have Panasonic 50 plasma screens for £700 ) it may work in our favour :cheers: