1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Reduce vertical load on wiper motor = more power efficient??

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by floriske.nl, Mar 12, 2012.

1. floriske.nl

floriske.nl Member

Graphic Designer
    Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Since I might have to extend my wiper motor axle this made me think about how to reduce the extra vertical axle load this will generate because most likely my motors would wear a lot faster.

Came up with the idea of placing an extra mount with a ball bearing (e.g. from a skateboard, they are M8 just like the motor axle) to support the axle extension:

Motormount with bearing.jpg
    fig 1: Standard / fig 2: extended axle with extra support with bearing

Logically this will move the vertical load (from the weight of the sim) from the motor to the bearing..

Am I correct if I say this would result in the motor's power being used more efficient since it only has to rotate and not carry the weight as well?
    So less power is lost in having to cope with the vertical load.

Hope the above makes sense ;)
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it should work, only one way to find out! Build it and see.
    I know my springs on my sim reduce load for the motors lifting, but an extra bearing may save the gearing, maybe help reduce power consumption for load lifting.
    Give it a whirl, thats the fun behind creative ideas here on this forum.
  3. floriske.nl

floriske.nl Member

Graphic Designer
    Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    I'm gonna do it anyway, but just thought I'd share my thoughts overhere and see what you guys think of it.

It might just be a cheap solution for more efficiency on wiper motors.
  4. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,541Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    it,s better to use that bearing, but youre system ceapes the same efficiency.
    Mechanical losses are comming from worm and wormwheel and not from axis!
    regards Ad
  5. floriske.nl

floriske.nl Member

Graphic Designer
    Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    I thought it would result in this:

The vertical load on the motor axle puts more strain on the motor which results in the motor having to work harder and thus more current draw.

The bearing takes over this vertical load resulting in less current draw / more current available for rotation = more efficiency.

Edit:
    A bit like turning in to a corner with a car: more acceleration = less friction available for turning
    In this case: more power needed for compensating the vertical load = less power available for rotation
  6. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,541Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    The vertical load is taken by the 2 existing bearings allready,and a tirth bearing takes only stresses from the 2 bearings out.
  7. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,541Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    The only thing youre having is a better shaft support
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What the Heck, build it and see, nothing like some experimentation. I had people say that springs would make no difference - proved them wrong.
  9. floriske.nl

floriske.nl Member

Graphic Designer
    Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Lol, just figured out a way so I don't have to extend my axle, simple but effective and feel pretty blonT for not thinking of this earlier :tape:

If I replace my bolts with countersunk hex socket bolts I win approx. 10mm due to the head no longer sticking out.
    Adding a sinlge extra nut on the axle gives me enough extra clearence so the arm can't hit the motor.
  10. jyrki.j.koivisto

jyrki.j.koivisto New Member

Balance:
    314Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It's a common practice (and a good one) not to use motors bearings as load carrying devices. I did not check for what kind of motors you're using but if it's somesort of plastic housing for the gear box, then the load on the axle can twist the shaft out of alignment and the result would be premature wear and not so good power output.
  11. floriske.nl

floriske.nl Member

Graphic Designer
    Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Hmm, good point!

Ah, what the ... I've ordered enough aluminum for the sketched solution so I'll go for that anyway.