1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Rear Projection and a Curved Screen

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Brightonuk, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    OK here is the finished project (well nearly it needs tweaking a little)

I picked up a NEC 500WS short throw PJ but it needs to be installed upside down (on a ceiling bracket) as the throw from the center of the lens is angled upward it works out to be 37 higher than the PJ itself so the image is way high if it sits on a surface.
    If you lower the PJ to compensate you hit the back of the driver so installing upside down works great as it shoots down over the driver head.

I should be able to post some images in a couple of day after the ceiling bracket arrives. Screen Final 1.jpg Screen 4.jpg

The dimensions of the screen are 96 X 36 I used 32 for the center 29 each side the rest is made up in the bends and the frame.
    I ruined the first board as I tried to bend it by scoring it then trying to bending without heating it first it just snapped.
    The second attempt I laid the board on a table with 30 hanging over used a heat gun up and down and the weight of the board curved perfectly and held its shape.

Attached Files:

2. razzta01

razzta01 New Member

Balance:
    400Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    pls can u post som HQ video?
  3. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    As njracer asked already. Please add some cockpit-view footage to your next video.thx
  4. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    I am also curious to see more videos and would appreciate it a lot when you give us updates. It´s a really interesting project. Thanks and best regards

René
  5. MasterYoda

MasterYoda Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Nice job... ECCI, Sparco red seat, triple projectors, I could say that I would feel pretty much home (2 years ago) driving your sim rig! ;-)

Cheers,

MY
  6. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Thanks MY
    All the gear I purchased used at RSC (RIP) and I think on this site; some members may reconize the gear they sold me I think it was Bernards Seat??

The wife will not go for three PJs so I gotta use one PJ and some correction software to compensate for the image warpage

I will have some more video up tonight of the 99% finished project (I leave the other 1% as..... enough is never enough and I am still holding out for the VcSim screen.
  7. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    OK latest Video (Try the 720 HD )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ixBjNf3TZ8

I did not really set this up as far as image from the PJ or the image config in the games just hooked up the PJ and ran rFactor and dirt.
    The only adjustment was rFactor FOV set at 100%.
    I will work on trying to improve the overall image this weekend and hopefully I will be done with the image side of things and post a more informative video.
  8. bwawryk

bwawryk New Member

Chef
    Balance:
    277Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good job Brightonuk !

Love your sim. What material did you use for your custom projector screen? Also, are the 3 Hanns G monitors still for sale?
    Thanks,
    Brian
  9. KatsushikaMatsumoto

KatsushikaMatsumoto New Member

Designer
    Balance:
    317Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the video 8)
    I was wondering what correction software are you using (SOL7?).
  10. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    I used signboard; I paid about $25-$30 for a 96 X 48 sheet I am planning to paint it with Hi Res screen paint.
    No real need to do that but always looking to get that little extra out of a project and I am getting a slight screen door” effect as the PJ is not HD, so I am hoping that by using the paint it will minimize this problem.
    Again it is not anything terrible just something you look at and think I need to tweak this
    If you go back through the thread I explain how I curved the screen.

The frame is all 8020; all in I figure the screen, frame and PJ stand cost around $150

I do still have the monitors listed them on Craig’s List today.
  11. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    I tried Sol7 lite and then the new NTHUSIM (single projector) from the same guys, it is a new home version of the Sol7 and as Sol7 is around $4000 the $250 I paid seemed reasonable.

http://nthusim.com/shop

A complaint regarding this software is it only runs on 32bit, they are working on a 64 bit platform and say some people have got it to work (Not me) which IMOO is a drawback as we all seem to be moving to the 64bit platform.

Also there is not much out there in this area and I am thinking that if enough of us get together we may be able to get some preferred pricing from Immersaview.

Andy I believe is the owner seems keen to break into the home sim market and is currently working with the guys on Mycockpit.org so a combined effort from both sites we might be offered a member discount.
  12. MasterYoda

MasterYoda Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    WOW!

I gotta say the results are much better than I expected.
    This software works well!

I am in for a group buy if it happens.

Cheers,

MY
  13. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Thanks for the update. Btw, try ingame sounds rather than that crappy music next time :)

regards
  14. Nima

Nima Member Gold Contributor

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi i want the software i have make test with the sol 7 demo and a curved screen
    is very nice.
  15. razzta01

razzta01 New Member

Balance:
    400Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    really nice Brightonuk !
  16. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    I am still refining the curved screen project, everything worked out OK except for the image quality.
    Using the NEC500ws was a huge mistake due to the lack of detail and horrendous screen door effect I am getting.

I swapped the NEC out for my HD PJ. A Panasonic AE-900U and wow great image, no screen door but the image only fills 75% of the screen, this due to space limitations and throw distance of the PJ.

I am back looking for a replacement for the NEC but am having a hard time finding a 1920X1080 with 16:9/10 capabilities and a short throw.
    It does not need to be a short throw PJ just one that offers a shorter throw distance and under $1,200

As the screen is curved, the 96 width is reduced to 68 (and 36 high) I see a few 4:3 that offer a higher resolution but do I need to project 96 or 68 image and if I only need 68 can I use a 4:3 aspect ratio?

In addition if I can use a 4:3 the 3D option comes into play as there is a BenQ MP722 ST at a price that works if I can sell the NEC (Any takers?)

I just need to make sure I do not make another mistake I have posted on projectorcentral but the guy came back with a triple $20k PJ set up that would look awesome….I am still thinking bout that one.
  17. DangerDan

DangerDan New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  18. Ferrino

Ferrino New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I noticed that with iRacing, you can display 3 different viewports - i.e when using a triple-screen setup. Apparently it also works with a single screen, splitting the screen into 3. I wonder if that would help in this setup? I took this from a discussion of displaying driving sims on a curved screen:

http://www.evl.uic.edu/pape/CAVE/panoram/angles.jpg
  19. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    OK still working on refining the total emersion idea and I hooked up with another Britt :cheers: (there a recipe for disaster) and he and I have been brainstorming how to improve on the projected image of a game.

I have had my finished curved screen (and I promise to have some video up later tonight) after about 4 months and the results are good but moving ahead one gets the feeling it could be better.
    That’s where Tony comes in, we got to chatting after he inquired about my current set up and came up with a fricking brilliant idea :adore: that he said it is not his idea but… using a skylight as a screen.

We have been feverishly scouring the web for ideas to build on this and have found various companies that sell the Dome screens but they are $$$$$ like this

http://www.eurotouchinteractive.com/interactive.htm

$19,000 so we are concentrating on using skylights.

http://www.cleardomes.com/domes.htm

The link it to just one source but the question is which one will work? Should we use a dome cut in half and mount the dome in front of the driver if so what size we figure the dome appoch we should use a 60 X 30? And should we try front of rear projection? Or go with a frex style and use an elongated style and totally encapsulat the driver.

I have contacted GOO a company that sells rear projection paint and got a small tube at 20% off to try out.

http://www.gooscreen.com/store/projecto ... roduct.asp

I was going to the Home Depot and get a clear acrylic sheet just to try it.
    (I figure which ever style of screen we need a clear acrylic for the rear projection) if this is feasible what size and what thickness.

I also have some silver high gain screen paint left over from my original curved screen idea if we choose the front projection.
    So we spray it on the half dome and shoot from the front.

If anyone has attempted this approach we would appreciate some feedback .
  20. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Searching the web we have found this site to source the dome and have settled on a 60” Dia X 30” High (Depth)

http://www.cleardomes.com/imagegallery.htm

But look at the photo of the polycarbonate street light (It has a number 10 on it) bottom left
    Anyone else see a racing cockpit?