1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Rear Projection and a Curved Screen

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Brightonuk, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    This may be a dumb question but if I do get the curved screen to work how do I get the extended FOV to display in a game? As I will only be outputting one view? (One projeted image)
  2. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Got the demo Sol7 from immersaview will be testing it out in the coming weeks.
    I have received a request from Andy at immersaview if anyone wishes to try this software to contact them at:
    andy@immersaview.com

If this works it does open up some great possibilities but the cost is $450 aussi bucks.

Thanks
  3. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Well the Sol7 worked as it should and the results have been very favorable.
    I will post a short video on YouTube tonight of the screen vs. the three monitor set up.

I do have a question I am using a 60 X 48” whiteboard as my screen test material and have it bent in a smooth 180 degree curve.

The focus is acceptable across the screen but how do I get a wider FOV from the car on the screen the PJ is putting out a 6 X 9 ratio but I can only see the windshield and not the side windows.

Thanks
  4. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Ok got a quick video of my triple monitor setup as well as my ideas for using a curved screen.

The screen works better than expected although you cannot see the depth in the video Sol7 worked great but for $450 I need to find an alternitive.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkdVRXgb674

I am now trying a different approach and hopefully have some video up later tonight
    The emersion factor is so much better than using monitors although the image is far from perfect stick your head in the screen and you have a view inside a the cockpit

Sorry deleted the video from Youtube and do not have a backup
  5. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Thats a good start. Keep at it.

:cheers:
  6. njracer

njracer Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey man the screen looks good. Try increasing the fov in the game to give you more in the car. from what i've seen with curved screens this works very well. it really puts you in the car like nothing else. take a look at these videos to get an idea of what i'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b16OMsjI0KA

please keep us posted. i'm curious to see what your final version will look like :D great job so far
  7. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Where do I find the value to increace the FOV in the car?
    Thanks
  8. njracer

njracer Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Brightonuk. go to c/program files/rfactor/userdata/your player name/ and open up the file in there that says your game name, its a plr file. open that with notepad

once you got that open scroll down to the graphics section and they'll be a line on the top few lines somewhere that says vertical fov, change that number higher and you'll increase the fov.

please post some more videos after you've experimented. :D
  9. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Will do.
    I already tried just bending the edges leaving the back flat but I have found the whiteboard is not flexible enough I had to jump through hoops to get a flat back and curved edges I will post the video tonight.

I did however take a suggestion from the wife (I hate it when she is right) and went to Fast Signs and picked up a 96 X 48 1/8 white plastic signage board for $25. It is super flexible and according to the sign guy I just need to score it, gently heat it and bend and it will keep that shape.
    I tried with an off cut he gave me and it looks very promising.

I need to decide do I go with a gentle bend or score the sheet and make a sharp corner bend?

What I have found is the 180 degree total curve does not work, not just the warping but loss of depth and focus on the leading edges. It is just too aggressive for a single PJ.
    I think I can go with a 30 or maybe 60 degree angle each side and retain the depth of the image and focus.
    In addition use a ratio of 40% area for the back of the screen (the front view) and 30% on each side.
    I would be most grateful for get any suggestions on what ratio to use?
    I don’t want to bend this sheet then find it is proportionally wrong, trial and error is not really an option as once it is bent you cant get it back to flat, more so if I score it to make a sharp bend it is ruined,

Another question is does a game need a PJ with 1080P as I was going to try a short throw NEC 500WS but it only gives out 720 I only have 6-7’ throw distance for the PJ.
  10. njracer

njracer Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    nah you don't need a 1080p project, hell and 800x600 would work. computer games can output any resolution. sometimes there are problems with widescreen support and such though.

i personally would go with the soft bend. i feel it'll keep the image more naturally flowing.

try the projector with the soft bend and increase the fov and see what that looks like. having a higher fov should help the distortion as in my mind its gonna really make the longer image fit on the screen. curious to see the vid. definitely interested in something like this.
  11. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    OK the second and third attempt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-kznhJKXs

I kinda know what needs to be done and the next video will be of the final design and with the screen in place.
    I will not be using whiteboard but a plastic composite that is flexible enough to shape and will hold it shape after it is formed.

I will also have the exact final cost next week, without factoring the PJ I will spend about $150 with the majority of the cost going to the 8020 built frame (The Screen is only costing me $25)
  12. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    great audio track ;-)

You could cut into 2 or 3 rectangular wooden plates the shape you want your screen to be, and then pin the white board onto. Hammer the pins then a little into the whiteboards surface, and cover it with some white wax.
  13. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Your screen looks great! Can't really help the focus on the sides, but you have to look ahead most of the time anyways. Can you give us a link or more information about the plastic composite sheet you are going to use?
  14. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    It is signage board. I went to Fast Signs just to see if they may have something and they had sheets of 4’ X 8' X 1/8 plastic sheets. (Any local sign shop should have this stuff)
    The guy showed me how to just heat and bend and it retains its shape or you can score it, heat it and bend it for a sharp edge.

It does come various thicknesses and if the 1/8' is not ridged enough I will try the 3/8”
    Worst case can use the 1/8” then shape it and lay down some 1-1/2 oz fiberglass mat on the back to give it rigidity.

At $25 for a huge sheet it is a cost effective to experiment with.
  15. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    How do you heat it? Hairdryer? Hot air gun?
  16. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    I tried on a scrap piece using a heat gun.
    It does not take much heat as the stuff is flexible to start with, I bent it round appling heat at the same time, not too much heat as you do not want to melt it, I would suggest doing what I did using a scrap piece to test.

One point I did find was that if you want a sharp angle score the place you are going to bend and use a sharp edge to bend at a right angle (edge if a table etc).
    If you score it and just bend it you end up with a soft bend.

The stuff is pretty strong I will post some photos as I go.
  17. njracer

njracer Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    looks cool dude, can you put a little cockpit view in the next one??
  18. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Ok got the 8020 Frame Extrusions and started to build the screen. Exrutions.jpg
    This was the prototype but the white board was just to hard to work with. Prototype.jpg
    I used the off cut from the 4 X 8' plastic sign board to see if I should use a 30 degree connector Set up 30.jpg
    or the 60 degree to get a good angle on the sides of the screen. Screen 3.jpg
    I settled on the 60 hopefully it will not be to extreme for the PJ.

I did not need to heat the plastic sheet as it holds in place as it tries to snap back to straight, I may try a little heat just to ease it into the bend when I use the full size sheet as I am sure it will be a little more challenging to work with.

You will need to use an angled connector for the feet as I tried using T connectors but as you see from the photo they did not work as I did not take into consideration the angle of the top connectors.
    Stand Wrong.jpg

So I used the 30 degree connectors I was going to use for the screen they worked perfect
    Floor Stand.jpg

Next step is to trim the extrusions to the correct length and build the rest of the frame to encompass the 8' X 3 screen.

I am also going to build a PJ stand instead of hanging the PJ from the ceiling as I have a fan just where it needs to go also I can position it at just at the right angle and distance by using a movable stand.

I will post a parts list when I have finished so far about $200
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    That is looking great my friend! It is going to be a really nice setup!

Keep up the good work!
  20. razzta01

razzta01 New Member

Balance:
    400Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great (+ low cost) idea! I will keep an eye to see the final version of your screen...amazing.