1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Questions - Help - 3DOF AC Platform IT Begins -

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by cthiggin, Feb 16, 2014.

1. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    I did a little reading to test myself and I did find that...
    And I found a more technical answer than saying magnetism repels the electricity...
    And a better explanation on the effects of grounding it...

• Informative Informative x 3
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  2. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    BlazinH,
    GOOD stuff...
    Will put 14-3 w/g and foiling INSIDE flex conduit. Will put shielded pot cable on outside of flex conduit, zip tie........
    To me, maybe overkill, but should not have to explore that component of the build as a problem area.......
    Of course, the 14-3 will be earth grounded - will NOT ground the pot cable.

Thanks to you and all,

Tom
  3. telfel

telfel Active Member

Balance:
    4,735Coins
    Ratings:
    +118 / 3 / -0
    Hi
    you can use CY flexible cable, comes in various size's and number of cores, you still need an earth core as well as the screen. Then you can zip tie your CAT6 cable to the CY.

I do not think home made screening earthing / methods are suitable for HV wiring,
    If your are not familiar with HV wiring methods and practice I would recommend you get an electrician to check it out.
    Mains voltage especially at high frequencies is a killer.

regards Terry
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Also don't mix up a signal ground and a electrical ground/earth. Be aware also of signal earth loops.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    I like the idea of zipping your pots cable to the outside of your flex cable. For home security systems, experts recommend keeping its cable a distance of at least 2 inches from household wiring to avoid problems. But they said short runs are less likely to cause interference. So, the bottom line is you will just have to try it! If your pots do give erroneous results, it will be easy to cut the zip ties and reroute them with them being on the outside.

Also, heed SeatTime's warning!
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  6. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hello Gentlemen,
    THANKS so much for your advice and wealth of information.
    I now have a workable "game plan" and will proceed forward.....
    With your information, hopefully I can do this ONE TIME and not have to be worried with interference.
    I have, will, do understand and heed your warnings.

Have a blessed one,

Tom
  7. Tags..(VR)

Tags..(VR) Member

Balance:
    - 6Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    inside my motors , i have no wire brush touching the inside side of the motor. i haven't cut and soldered because i haven't been able to figure out which is the earth ground wire. but what if i were to run a ground wire from the casing on the motor to the ground of the terminal thats on the power supply unit and ground it that way? anyone try that?