1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

questions before made a frex sim with scn5

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by nicky, Jan 24, 2009.

1. nicky

nicky New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

I want to build a frex like sim with SCN5

1/ Can you help me, my weight is 93kg.I want to be sour that the actuators are reactive and will be not overloaded.
    2/ How to determine the angles for the actuators, as well as the centering of the seat for not to have more 10kg force to apply on the actuators?
    3/ would advise me you to take 100 mm or 150 mm? and why? (or SCN6 much load capability?)
    4/ Exist there a detailed plan of a structure frex?

Sorry for my bad english

Thanks a lot
  2. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    I weigh 225lbs and have no issues with the 150mm actuators. However, you sim will have to be PERFECTLY balanced to use 150mm actuators if you weigh over 200lbs.

Because 100mm actuators will not move your weight as far off of the pivot point, I would suggest them for anyone weighing over 200lbs.

My personal belief is that the SCN6 actuators, while slower than the SCN5's would be fast enough for a 2DOF simulator. However, this is not yet proven or tested. I will be testing this on my next project.

So my recommendation for you is 100mm actuators.

With regard to the frame, you may choose to build either from aluminium or steel. This will make a big difference in your overall cost, rigidity and what type of plans you will require. IMHO, if you are able to weld, or know someone who can, you will get a better result for less money. However, if you are unable to weld, you can still get a good result with aluminium and the SimForce GT design.

Once we know how you are proceeding with regard to materials, either egoexpress or myself should be able to help you with dimensions, parts, etc..
  3. nicky

nicky New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much for the answer! It is sympathetic.
    I can weld without problem.
    I thought aluminium was needed absolutely for reduce the weight of the structure.
    Are you know if the actuator sold at frex are usable (programmable) with x-sim? Because it are less expensive (614 euros for 2 prewired with carriage costs included!)
    Thus d' after your councils I will take 100mm + metal construction.
    I think started bought the material for the structure initially. I' have already a seat. I' will buy the actuators a little later in advance of the structure.

I' have look the curves speed of the SCN5 and 6. It is noted that for a load of 5kg the SCN6 are faster!
    But how to know the weight to be moved before made the structure? Because according to the weight to move the SCN6 could be faster than the SCN5.
  4. nicky

nicky New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    Someone would have a structure plan for Frex in steel?
    Thank you in advance
  5. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    I still haven't had the time to make drawings of mine. I've been hard at work on a menu system for X-Sim.

Here is a link to Mr. Burns simulator, which was built of aluminium but would have similiar dimensions. http://www.x-simulator.de/wiki/Racing_Simulator_by_Mr.Burns

Here is a link to my thread which was built of steel. http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/simxperience-ii-2dof-driving-simulator-with-scn5-s-t1182.html

With steel, you are limited only by your imagination. Also, someone else may have steel drawings to offer up, and if you are stuck on a particular dimension, you will find many discussions of almost every angle / dimension by searching these forums.

Sorry we don't have a properly compiled list for the SimXperience frame yet.
  6. nicky

nicky New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks.
    I will consider other options for the movement.
    Which offers the most sensation?
    (motor, pneumatic, scn5 ...)
    I will read a little deeper into the forum.
  7. nicky

nicky New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    I have order 2 x SCN5 100mm.

Does someone can give me the ideal angle of installation, as well as the method for determining the central pivot of the seat?
    I will make a steel structure, be against it by using aluminum for the seats to reduce the structure to be moved by the actuator?

Thanks