1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Project cars 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by f1iceman, May 15, 2017.

1. f1iceman

f1iceman Why So Serious ? ( The Joker )

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    well i finally bought pc2 in the black friday but still ran it yet mind ! lol
    even buying it im still not too botherd about it.
    next on my list is after xmas is
    build the wind setup.
    buy simtools 2 full version to do my bit and get the wind working.
    poss iracing sub for 3mths.
    sell the kids to buy another actuator.
    sell actuator as kids will be brought back on grounds (not as described). lol
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Andy Booth

Andy Booth Active Member

Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    f1iceman, seriously, give it a try.

I was skeptical when I bought it but I have not really been running any other sim since.

I did run identical cars on identical tracks on PCars 2 and Assetto Corsa last night and I did notice traction loss feels better on Assetto Corsa but generally speaking I think PCars 2 is a really good sim. I especially like running the Lotus 49 round the historic tracks that are available in PCars 2, Classic Silverstone, Classic Monza, Classic Spa and Hockenheim. Just wish there were other F1 cars to race against the Lotus 49. While there are similar tracks available in Assetto Corsa (some of which are official tracks made by the Italians), those mod tracks don't have the quality feel of those tracks in PCars2.

I miss Grand Prix Legends. I wish there were more classic tracks and a selection of cars to run. But I digress.

I really think PCars 2 is up there with the rest of the sims around. Obviously each sim has features that are better and features that are worse than the other sims but I do think PCars 2 will not disappoint.

And as for Simtools and Wind. I have a solution, save the money, keep the kids and get them to fan you as you drive. I'm sure there must be a little bit of affection for the kids and want to keep them really even if it is only someone to fetch and carry for you (and fan you if you go with my solution).

Andy
  3. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    well i have just tried project cars 2 and i must say i can see it could be good if i can be botherd now to mess with it as its really crap atm, theres defo some good in it but atm its not worth me launching it :) !!!!

its eating my pc and the vr experience is crap.
    45fps and im not hammering the settings at all.

pc
    asus ix formula mb
    i7 7700k proc 4.4 to 4.9ghz depending if need oc
    m.2 fast nv ssd 500gb
    32gb top gskill ddr4
    posidon asus gtx1080ti gpu
    rift

i do have the helmet cam on and i have got settings from race department mostly

track
    spa

cars
    formula A or porsche gt

latest nvidia drivers.

the vr looks poop, supersampling set at 1.3 only.

why the hell do we have to mess about so much.
    this is what put me off project cars it was a mess, and so is this one to me.
    i have gave up tonight now and if its owt like when i got project cars i will prob never launch it again its not fun anymore.
    i built a new pc that should be ideal.

theres not much on my rig pc now.

my old rig has all the stuff on as i run a room vr with another rift as well so this is purley for motion sim so i cut down on the crap on it.

if anyone has any help on this it would be good.

i can always set it back to default and try other out see if its my pc or the game or what ever it might be, i can not be the only one having issues its what i expected and why i never bought it ! lol
    i want to give it a real chance this time.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  4. Andy Booth

Andy Booth Active Member

Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    That's a real shame.

I guess its the high resolution that's killing it for you. Im running an i5 with a 980Ti but just projecting at 1080p and the picture quality is as good as it's gonna get without investing really heavily.

Can't run VR for one reason or another but I do have a very big projected image and motion so I'm fairly happy.

Andy
  5. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    yeah! i can see a normal system with screen might be great but i struggle to entertain any motnitor playing since vr gaming, the only game i can play on a monitor is vrcpro thats about it.
    its such a sahme to hear about poss issues with vr for ya self mind.
    daft thing is i just took my triples off compacted my sim and mov ed it so i get more space as i never switch my outer monitors on since vr and its looking lik it was the only way for project cars 2 to run right ! lol
  6. Andy Booth

Andy Booth Active Member

Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I had the Rift DK2 some time ago and I knew then the potential was there. Unfortunately, my left eye is a bit screwed so whenever information was only displayed on the left of the screen I couldnt see it and it meant me taking off the headset, putting on my glasses, removing the two lenses ans peering through the hole at the tiny image.

Add to that, because it was the DK unit, I would struggle to get software to run properly. One minute I could get game XXX to work, next time I tried, I couldnt get the thing to work. While I know enough to cover most normal pc stuff (I did build my pc and sort of know how it's all supposed to work), I just had too many issues and gave up with the thing and sold it.

Being long sighted didn't help much either. Glasses were really uncomfortable with the DK2 and add on lenses were not around then.

Ah well, we all have our crosses to bare.
  7. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    but have you trieed the cv1 tho andy see if any bthing has changed but th min it really feels like when i had the dk2 thing not running right always messing than playing and then it suddenly stops working after updates and glitching.
    spent ages last week trying to get bit to run a game smoothly turn out the afterburner was causing it issues and power monitor on it made it glitch. did about 10 test as found it on oculus other had same issues and was narrowed down to them issues. and alot more could be done too.

but i just dont get theres a standrad these gpus can do so should have it in game as setting for certain gpu and already be base set on the settings if it vrs supported corerectly it would also take out ioptions that you dont need or notice atm in vr.
    too much fiddling and not enough playing is the problem i got so my new rig was built and it runs great on assetto corsa found alot easyer to configure, but project cars yet again your searching for setting and stuff to basically just run the game reasonable.
    thats before the wheel settings extra.
    i know its a personal thing but when most just goto say jack spades setting then run them with a thumbs up why are these not even been found by the devs they must know whats good.
    personally i think its about time a racing game was developed just for vr as that is what makes vr shine if you ask me, and i con only imagine a vr only driving sim would cut alot of stuff out and make it work better in the long run and be more efficient and optimised.

sod it im getting my atari out ! lol
  8. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    You mention the model of CPU, GPU, and RAM, but don’t say speeds. Have you done anything with your motherboard settings?
  9. Andy Booth

Andy Booth Active Member

Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    No software house is going to put time and effort into a VR only racing sim.

Lets face it, we sim racers are a small community so the profits for a developer would be none existent. Then you limit that target audience to lets say half of all sim racers out there who use VR and then half it again to those VR using sim racers that have a pc powerful enough to run this VR only game smoothly and you are talking such a tiny number of sales.

It's just not going to happen.

But we can dream

Andy
  10. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    Gpu small over clock.
    Proc is 7700k oc to 4.7 can goto 4.9.
    Running water on proc but not on the gpu yet.
    I have had a play with mb setting but not sure what im on now.
    I might have set back to default as nothing seemed to make much difference.
    But that was for other things like gittches i was suddenly getting.
    But solved that now and it was running brill in assetto last week not ran it since tho.n don't anytjink has changed.

Nothing is eating up power anywhere on windows monitor.
  11. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
  12. Andy Booth

Andy Booth Active Member

Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    This idea of overclocking is great in principal and I have got some pretty good water cooling on my GPU so I can do that. Not done it yet because the ambient temp here in Malaysia is so high and even with a 360mm rad my cpu runs around 46 deg c.

But overclocking adds what, 5 to 10 frames per second if lucky. Is it really worth the extra stress.

Saying that my GPU sits at 70 deg c + and I really need to cool that down. Looking at a NZXT G12 adapter and 280mm rad and water block to get my GPU temps down.
  13. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    Price of good pc stuff cheaper to move to cooler country

Its freezing here in the uk frosted over ! Booooo

I don't use over clock unless i have issues tbh.
    Its like a get out clause when you set the game up. Its the percentage it can give then if theres a track it dont like, you can just go click n problem solved with the overclock.
    If you get me.
    So setup my games with no overclock then any issues i hope a click solves it with no other changes needed.
  14. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    Only thing that seems to get stressed is bloomin me
  15. Andy Booth

Andy Booth Active Member

Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Been out of the UK and those cold temps for 8 years now. Came back to see friends over summer and had to wear a coat all the time.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    He he he ! Yup like that every summer now just about if you want to feel warm.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Zed

Balance:
    5,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    VR is an odd duck. @Brett Horton posted an excellent video of his sim but there is something else in his video that is perfect for showing this effect:

https://youtube.com/watch?&v=jq_db8_cAKI

He left his frame counter visible and if you watch closely it stays mostly at 90 FPS. But it occasionally drops to 45 FPS. Nothing in between.

His system is obviously capable of 90 FPS most of the time but when it drops below, VR kicks into reprojection/space warp and takes the last frame to warp into an approximation of the new frame that it ran out of time to render. That makes it run at 45 FPS. As a guess, his system was probably only dropping down to something in the 80s judging by the amount of time he spends at 90 but even if it was lower, the difference in performance to hold a solid 90 FPS probably isn’t all that much.

That’s the thing about VR. Miss a frame just barely and it’s like missing it by a mile, but just a minor increase in performance can totally change the experience. Similarly, decreasing graphics settings by just a little can also make the same difference.

But if you aren’t on the edge, then it takes more performance or bigger changes in graphics settings. The best way to know where you are is looking at the frame timing on your system. There are a number of apps that do that. Nvidia has a free one. (https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/fcat-vr-download-and-how-to-guide) There you can see how close you are to best performance and running at a native 90 FPS.

The point of all this is that it can easily be that extra 5-10 FPS makes the difference. You won’t know until you try it and even better if you benchmark it. Also, if your GPU is hitting 70C, are you cranking your GPU fans? You might be getting close to throttling which can really hurt performance too.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Andy Booth

Andy Booth Active Member

Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hi Zed,

Fans are running at about 75%. But yes, that's why I'm looking at water cooling the GPU. Problem is, it's not as easy to get the bits I need and the costs are crazy. Everything is imported and the Malaysian Government want's their envelope stuffed with cash so everything costs.

For example , my car, a Hyundai Santa Fei cost me best part of RM200,000. That's nearly $49,000. I suspect that's probably twice as much as the US. But hey asian food is cheap and it's sunny most of the time (when it isn't pissing down with rain).

Sorry, off on a tangent again. Yeah, my plan is to cool the GPU and then start to overclock both of them and see what I can get. Currently with my GTX 980Ti on a 1080p projector with two additional screens Im seeing 200fps + most of the time with most options maxed out, so I have room I hope for VR but just waiting to see what next gen has to offer. PiMax looks promising.
    At those fps's I'm still only seeing high 70 deg c so I hope I have quite a bit of room.

I suspect however my 4th gen i5 4690k processor will be the limiting factor.

Andy
  19. Andy Booth

Andy Booth Active Member

Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Love your picture by the way Zed. Watched the movie again only a few weeks ago. Watched it and then did some runs in Assetto Corsa on all the tracks in the film. It's amazing to watch a film like that and then be able to run the tracks and imagine being there.

Andy
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Zed

Balance:
    5,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    One of my all-time favorite movies! Steve McQueen's Le Mans too. And rumor has it the 917K is coming to PC2 next DLC! Should make fun races with GT40s. Just need the Ferrari 312 to go with the Lotus 49 now. :thumbs