1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Lesson Preventative Maintenance, THE Necessity

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Brett Horton, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Brett Horton

Brett Horton Active Member

Program Manager / Pilot
    Balance:
    118Coins
    Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    Hey guys,
    Just a public service announcement...
    I was in the process of installing some custom CNC Pot brackets this morning and when I disassembled the old brackets it was very evident that my POT's (Bourns) while would turn, were very tight. I cleaned and lubed them lightly with a synthetic oil and it free'ed them up just fine. I also at this time lubed all pivot points and rod ends for good measure.
    So.... when things are working great for months at a time, please do not forget to spend the time and perform some PM... Your machine and your wallet will thank you later!

Oh forgot...
    Here is a picture of my POT brackets
    Pot Brackets.jpg
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Tim McGuire

Tim McGuire "Forever a work in progress"

Electrical/Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,158Coins
    Ratings:
    +313 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor
    I can second this, one of my hall effect pots bound up on me recently, killing one of my drivers and bending the connecting rod. After cleaning it out and re-lubricating the shaft it's all back to normal.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Andy Booth

Andy Booth Active Member

Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    My regular preventative maintenance is to check and re-tighten the grub screws of the flexi links between the pot and the motor.

While I'm sure these connections shouldnt come loose, I have lost the link between the pot and the motor causing the motors to drive hard over to the extremes of movement.

But I hadn't thought of lubricatingthe pots. I have some spray lube and contact cleaner somewhere at home. Better pull that out and give each of the pots a little squirt.

Andy
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Brett Horton

Program Manager / Pilot
    Balance:
    118Coins
    Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yeah, I was surprised at how tight the little pots where, almost could not turn them by hand.... Cleaning and lube got them going perfect again.
  5. Slider

Slider Active Member

Irrigation
    Balance:
    1,130Coins
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    They are the sexiest pot brackets i have ever seen. I assume you made them? Be a good product to offer to the public... aka me :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Brett Horton

Program Manager / Pilot
    Balance:
    118Coins
    Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    lol.... Thanks, Yes I drew them and had a machinist at work cut them for me.
    They would be expensive .... They where hard to hold in the machining jig while cutting.
    I certainly can post the .stp files though, see attached

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 1