1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

Question Preliminary Research & Prototyping (6DOF & Linux)

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Apocrathia, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Apocrathia

Apocrathia New Member

Balance:
    35Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Okay, so I've recently started looking into building a 6DOF Stewart platform to use primarily with X-Plane. You guys have some amazing projects, and I'm still trying to make sure I understand how to approach this correctly. Right now, my plan is to build a small prototype and get it hooked into the simulation. Start small, verify functionality, then scale. However, I've got a few questions to start with:
    • From what I can tell, SimTools (which is the primary focus of this community) is solely a Windows application. Has there been any success in running it under Wine or any intentions of porting? I know it's all built on .NET, but Microsoft did just open source .NET recently. It may be something to look into as Linux gaming is becoming more and more of a mainstream thing.
    • I've noticed that the main configuration of X-Plane is done via the data outputs to get data streamed over UDP to the platform. With SimTools, this is sent from the app, to the loopback (or wherever SimTools is running), then to the actual controller. My understanding is that SimTools acts as a translation layer from the datastream to motion. Is this correct?
    • Farfetched: Could you feasibly run the simulator as a networked device, and stream motion to it via a UDP protocol? This could in turn allow you to run multiple platforms either synchronously or asynchronously (individually). Pairing a Raspberry Pi with an Arduino could allow you to have the combination of both a soft realtime supervisor and a hard realtime controller on the platform itself.
    Right now, I'm still gathering ideas, and trying to get a viable concept written down. My big requirement is it all has to run on Linux. However, it's obvious that there are people here who are way smarter than I am, so I would love to see what you all have to say.