1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Power supply for SCN5

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by RonK22, Jul 4, 2009.

1. RonK22

RonK22 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is my first post and I would like to say hello to all..my name is Ron Kelly (Ronk) and I live in Cincinnati, Ohio just a stones throw from bvillersjr if you look at the world map..I purchased a used Obutto Cockpit four months ago and spent much of that time adding things to give it a more relistic feel..while on youtube looking for new ideas for my sim I saw a frex for the first time... after a bit of searching on the Internet I found your site.. with all this sites information and all your helpful Members I felt secure enough to start my own motion sim project..well the easy part the frame work is now complete so on to the fun stuff the SCN5's...guess I should get to the subject of this post... the power supply I have is a SOLA SDN 10-24-100 is this a suitable power supply to power both SCN5's or do you for some reason need two separate power supplys?..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    any data sheet?

regards
  3. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Welcome to X-Sim!

From what I can see at this page http://www.sola-hevi-duty.com/support/inactiveproduct/Power Supplies/sdn.htm, the SDN 10-24-100 power supply has overvoltage protection and an adjustable output of 24VDC-28VDC. The SCN5 acuators should be fed exactly 24VDC. You should measure the output of your power supply with a meter and ensure that it is adjusted properly before connecting your actuators! With regard to amperage, each SCN5 actuator requires 2amps. The web page above claims that your power supply is capable of 10amps, so you should have no problem using it to power both actuators.

Your power supply retails for $348.00 according to this site! An acceptable power supply for SCN5 actuators can be purchased for $24.00. If you have the option of returning the SDN, you may want to consider it.
  4. RonK22

RonK22 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks egoexpress and bvillersjr for your replys I will make sure and include a data sheet or link to the hardware in question...I got the SDN at a fleamarket for $10 while looking for laptop type power supplys it is puting out just over 24v acording to my cheepo meter I will test it with something better and adjust the power if nessary to exactly 24v...I need to get the RS485 to RS232 adapters, Serial cable and RS232 to USB adapter cables ordered this week...is there a tryed and true RS485 to RS232 adapter I'm looking at these on ebay anyone know if these will work they look to be the same as used in the Mr. Burns project..Thanks again Ron

http://cgi.ebay.com/9-PIN-RS-232-to-RS- ... 7C294%3A50
  5. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    I am aware of several people who were unsuccessful with the Hexin adapters. I am not able to recommend these adapters.
  6. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,958 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    I had no problems at all with the hexin ones. They work fast and well. But you should use the right USB/RS232 adapter to bring them up without problems.