1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Power demand for my project

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by Justin_2, Apr 1, 2022.

1. Justin_2

Justin_2 New Member

Balance:
    77Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Alright. I researched this but cannot find a proper schematic of a similar set up. So I sketched one to see if thats correct. But before finishing that: what is the purpose of the relays in this case?
  2. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I was also trying to find a way to more power for my sim room. VR-capable computers can really eat into the power budget.

The solution I found was fairly expensive but besides giving you more power, they may save your refrigerator contents in a power outage - which are getting more likely and frequent anyway. I got a battery backup/inverter box. It charges at configurable rate from the wall and then provides four 20A (total) capable outlets at 120v. There’s also a 30A outlet on the unit I got. Battery capacity on a full charge is 3.6 kWh. No extra wiring needed.

The battery unit is the size of a small ice chest and a number of companies make them. They use LiFePO4 batteries which are much safer than Li-Co (like are in most electric vehicles). LiFePO4 batteries can also take daily charge/discharge cycles for up to 15 years without much capacity loss. They don’t burn like Li-Co batteries but are slightly heavier and slightly lower capacity for the volume.

If you are constrained by house wiring, your only options are live with it, run an additional circuit, use extension cords to other circuits (not recommended), run a generator, or time shift power on the same circuit using a battery. Some also build their own battery/inverter combos.

Two companies I’m aware of are Bluetti and Ecoflow. The units are intended for emergency power and portable power much like a generator but trade fumes and noise for needing to recharge. Some states are now banning the use of generators on public lands (fire danger/noise) but these units are allowed. Recharging is generally by plugging in but various units have built in MPPT solar panel controllers/chargers, can charge at EV stations, from DC, etc.

I’ve got my Ecoflow Delta Pro tucked in behind my rig and powering it. It will pull power from the outlet it’s plugged into to supply the load if it can so I have to charge it when not simming and then unplug it when simming but that reduces the power load in the sim room to just the computer. The battery is enough to run my 2DOF sim for 4-5 long sim sessions. I do have to remember to recharge the battery occasionally but I’ve got a full on backup battery supply for emergency use or camping too.

Anyway, it’s another way to power hungry sim rigs that doesn’t need an electrician or permanent modifications. The units are fairly expensive but you get the whole emergency/portable power capability thing as a bonus. It’s not a solution for everyone because of the expense but it may be a solution for some.

https://ecoflow.com/
    https://www.bluettipower.com/
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. Justin_2

Justin_2 New Member

Balance:
    77Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much for this detailed description. I have never heard of those devices. I will keep them in mind for my decision making, although they are indeed pretty costly. But its always good to have options.
    Almost thought this project is dead before it even started when heard of those tiny house wires. Laying down my thoughts in this forum already paid of.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Justin_2

Justin_2 New Member

Balance:
    77Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have researched a litte more now and now this

"I used a set of 24v 200A relays to each motor driver - an emergency stop button can cut the power to the drivers."

makes more sense to me. I didn't bring the relays into relation with emergency stop before but now I have read about this. Thats what you are doing here right, using them as an E-Stop? I mean you kind of clearly wrote it - but it just didn't make sense to me but now it does :D
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2022