1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Power Config for New PT 3DOF Setup

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by Globespy, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Globespy

Globespy Member

Balance:
    666Coins
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I posted a question in another thread, but to avoid it getting lost in there, I thought I would ask in a separate thread.
    I am awaiting arrival of 3x150mm stroke PT actuators for a racing rig.
    I plan to house the servo controller boxes and a power strip/surge protector/EMI+RFI eliminator in a dedicated enclosure (6U network enclosure).
    Like most homes in the USA, outlets are on 15A circuits - my basement remodel has 20A for all outlets, but I guess that most will be on 15A circuits unless they add brand new wiring/sub panels which can be a major job if sheetrock needs to be pulled out to add the additional wiring.
    I've ordered a 15A power strip as I also have a Simucube DD wheel on the same electrical circuit.

So, what are most using? Will a 3DOF system work ok on a 15A circuit?
    I can order a 20A power strip since my outlets are on 20A, but then I would need to change the receptacle to Nema 5-20R with the 'turned' post, but not sure if it's even worth it, especially when I have that additional Simucube Servo motor on the same 20A circuit?

I should have asked about all this before buying, hopefully I am not in for some bad news as I really can't start pulling out walls and ceilings to add a dedicated 50A circuit just for the 3 actuators and will likely just sell the kit if I need to do that.
    Seems Thanos just has his stuff plugged into the wall using regular UK plugs with 4 actuators so hopefully I am good to go!

Appreciate some insights and feedback!
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  2. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,700Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    These servos are efficient. You won't reach their peak current ratings, unless you manage to stall all motors at once at 300% of their rating! Usually the whole system draws 1 to 5 amp, with peaks up to 10A on rough driving profiles. But nothing to trip a 15A circuit. So you can plug the whole system into a single wall outlet without problems.
  3. Globespy

Globespy Member

Balance:
    666Coins
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Ahh!!! Thank you so much! I was worrying about having to buy $300 'power conditioners' or since I have 20A outlets, get the 20A power strip with surge protection.
    Sounds like the 15A option I chose with EMI/RFI protection and 3000 joules surge protection should be just fine!
    But I will get a 20A Nema 5-20R option to provide a little more headroom since I have 20A circuits for all my outlets in the newly remodeled basement. This has 1800 Joules surge protection and 400V clamp
    amazon.com/gp/product/B00077IS32

Plus, my new Subpanel installed in the basement has AFCI breakers which are far safer than the older breakers.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020