1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Possible to add motors to 2DOF for better performance?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Map63Vette, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Map63Vette

Map63Vette Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Balance:
    436Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    This is more of a thinking out loud question, but I've been trying to design a DOF Reality style motion sim clone with my own motors and JRKs instead of the Arduino setup. I like the idea of the DOF Reality H3, but I already have a box of strong wiper motors, I prefer the idea of JRKs over the Arduino setup, and I have all the tools needed to be able to make one myself and tweak the dimensions to be exactly what I'd like and save money in the process.

All that said, I know wiper motors aren't necessarily as good as some of the nicer gearbox motors out there. That got me thinking, if I wasn't happy with the performance of my rig after I built it, is there any reason I couldn't add a second set of motors on the opposite side of the pivot? I would basically invert all the logic for the rear motor set, but it seems like that could get me more performance using parts I already have access to. I realize that means 2 more motor controllers and more power supply, but since I already have the motors that's a fair chunk of money I don't have to worry about. Just wondering if anyone had ever tried a 4 motor 2 DOF system.

I could see it still being cheaper to just buy larger motors, but just thought this was an interesting idea and wondered if anyone else had ever considered it.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. MarkusB

MarkusB Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    4,212Coins
    Ratings:
    +594 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    I read the same question a while ago (see here).

I still think that this will not work, because you will not be able to exactly synchronize the movements of the motors on both side of the pivot. And this in turn will cause the motors to work against each other.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. BitPull

BitPull Experimenter Gold Contributor

Service Technician
    Balance:
    98Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Yes, it is possible. But you do not need more controllers but it should be possible because the controll signal is still the same.
    I'm running 4 wiper motors ( 2 with pots and 2 as support in the oposit corner) where the second one is powered by the same motor controller. (you just have to look both are running together and not agains eachother)
    See the end of my project site:
    https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/2dof-prototype-arduino-uno-mm-wipermotors.13848/

Both motors are doing the same thing all the time so it doesn't matter if one is a little bit slower (it is just a support and under load the speed of the motors are slower on all setups depending on the weight) I use a symetrical platform where the oposite motors are mounted in the same angle and distance to the pivot. It's working great.
    I will update with a video but couldn't find time. At the moment i'm installing some gas struds to minimize the unwanted slack movement.
  4. Map63Vette

Map63Vette Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Balance:
    436Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I actually had a similar thought about trying to run both motors off of a common feedback sensor, but wasn't quite sure how that would work out. Running them off a common driver makes sense if you have the headroom for current, so that's not a bad idea. I agree with you that it shouldn't matter that much if they are perfectly synchronized as it is really more of an "assist" system similar to a gas strut in a way, though a little less passive comparatively speaking. Hoping I don't have to go that way regardless, but nice to know it's been done before at least.