1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Porsche 986/996 Project

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by BHawthorne, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Mexwall

Mexwall New Member

Balance:
    345Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's the only way to get your setup done :D
  2. BHawthorne

BHawthorne New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hehe, true enough. Well, I'm packed and ready to fly to Vegas in 8 hours. Sleep time for me. If I get a chance I'll post a pic or two of sim related stuff from CES if I see any. :)
  3. fastdruid

fastdruid New Member

Balance:
    57Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I beg to differ. Its almost undoubtedly easier than trying to bypass the aircore / steppermotor driver.
    Downside is you need to know the CAN bus ID's (or do a *lot* of probing).

These are totally unmodified RX-8 clocks, I've got near full control[1] over them via CAN bus from an Arduino.
    [​IMG]

[1] Fuel gauge and seatbelt warning are hard wired, I could also rig them up to the Arduino but I haven't yet.
  4. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Oh my goodness. This is going to be good

Also to add. I got a Saburu dashboard from the scrap yard and couldn't do the electronics to make it work. So i just bought the rev motor boards from symprojects and did some DIY by drilling and cutting, mounted them on the back and used them to power the needles.

The maker of symproject is now also making boards to make the water and fuel gauge work.

diy-ferrari-dial-t3064-10.html
  5. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    How you find out the CAN bus ID´s of your RX-8 Displays? Search and Try, or did you find some ressources about it?
    I would like to see more details about your project. I also looked at Ebay for some RX-8 gauges, but they are very expensive > 200 Eur

Br, René
  6. fastdruid

fastdruid New Member

Balance:
    57Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I'd already found details on the internet about what some of the ID's were (and some for the Mazda3 which is similar).
    I then took a capture of all the bus traffic with a cheap (<£10) ELM327 and a laptop then fed each of the CAN ID's in turn into the clocks to see what did anything.

I paid ~£25 for mine and looking at ebay now, in the UK they are going from £45+delivery which is about ~50EUR (item 170671868432)
  7. Mexwall

Mexwall New Member

Balance:
    345Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, yes and no. The most instrument clusters I know have security build in. Most of them need to be programmed with dealer diagnostics equipment to even work in a car. They need to program it so that it recognises the antitheft sercurity that is programmed in the car. If you don't have that or can pass it by, then it would be easier.