1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Poor Man's 24 Volt Power Supply

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by EvanF, Feb 22, 2008.

1. EvanF

EvanF Member

Multimedia Producer
    Balance:
    423Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've noticed a growing interest towards 24 volt actuators and the subsequent supply of power for them. I personally use 4x 12V SLA batteries paralleled and in series with a dedicated 24V regulated trickle charger that can crank out 6amps itself if required. This setup gives me more than enough V/A to power 3 actuators.

However I also do have a backup bench power supply which is the topic of this post and may be of interest to questors of alternative power supplies.

I bought this on Trademe for $30 and after a quick search yesterday saw a number on EBAY at very reasonable prices. So yes they are available and just waiting for people to pick them up cheap. It is an untapped goldmine for the likes of us.

It is an AC 24V isolating transformer used for outside lighting. It is rated at .5KVA which works out to be around 24V at 20Amps! After throwing on a bridge rectifier the DC reads 32volts RMS. Perfect for running through an H-Bridge as long as you don't have a common ground with whichever micro controller you choose to run with.
    I had some 6amp diodes handy so instead of just buying a $10 bridge rectifier I couldn't help myself and had to make my bridge rectifier board look bullet proof!. Notice the thick tracks under the vero :eek:

Happy hunting!

poor-mans-power-supply-01.JPG poor-mans-power-supply-02.JPG poor-mans-power-supply-03.JPG poor-mans-power-supply-04.JPG
  2. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi EvanF

Great alternative for 24v power source! Do you have any schematic of the vero board bridge rectifier circuit?

Regards, Thanos
  3. EvanF

EvanF Member

Multimedia Producer
    Balance:
    423Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi Thanos, this is what I worked to, with my diode wiring conversion in pen above the schematic diagram. The highest value elect cap I had was 1000MFD so that's what I used! The resistor is just to bleed the cap of stored volts when it is powered off.
    bridge-rectifier-schematic.JPG

EvanF