1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

polycarbonate

Discussion in '3D Printing' started by bruce stephen, Feb 24, 2016.

1. bruce stephen

bruce stephen Hammer doesnt fix it, must be electrical

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,238 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I picked up .5kg of poly to try out as the picture shows it has a very high working temperature. I ended up at 245c to get it to flow and stick well. I reprinted the parts for my pot mount and I am impressed. The original parts were printed in ABS. The ABS printed good with resolution better than I could obtain with PLA. The poly printed with a lot more detail and much less curl at the edges than the ABS. This material was almost double the cost of ABS, but the parts are more detailed. The polycarbonite finished part is almost as hard as PLA but not as brittle. When the printer finishes a job the extruder lifts leaving a little stringy piece of plastic, this can be seen in the second photo. Normally I just knock it off with my fingernail. With the poly i couldn't i had to cut it off, it seems way more durable than the other two types of plastic I have been using. So in the end I believe poly though more expensive is easier to work with and turns out a better and more durable part.
    20160223_183519.jpg
    20160223_184541.jpg
    this bracket was printed at .2mm layer height
    20160224_082313.jpg
    these were printed at .1mm layer height abs left poly on right
    20160224_082902.jpg
    The ABS is prone to curling/shrinking as it cools. the poly did not do this. ABS left Poly on right
    20160224_082750.jpg
    The three finished parts in poly
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  2. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,287Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    hey @bruce stephen thanks for the heads up with the new material , few more bits to print off just pushing the times and parts size a bigger and times little longer with each model , will have to try this material at some stage just to compare how the machine holds up . Cheers
    • Like Like x 1