1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Pololu Jrk 12v12

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by Frakk, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The 3 controllers will be on 3 different COM ports, COM4 COM5 COM6 for example. You have to add all 3 to the list, then edit their commands individually. One will have (~221~~a01~), the other (~221~~a02~), etc..
  2. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Thank you!
  3. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,490Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,318 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Hi sirnoname
    are you actually still working on a plugin or is it even already available? (I hope I didn't overlook it…)
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Value1, just use the current set of USO commands in the USO output section for the time being. No need to be a programmer.
    ~221~~64~
    ~221~~a01~
    ~255~

Enter those in and away you go.
    And thank Eaorobbie for those commands.
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  6. christianr3

christianr3 Member

Balance:
    531Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    hello friends, and got connected to configure all cards jrk 12v 12, but I think I've damaged the card :( , do not understand much as shape and I would like to know if they can help me, thanks
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Did you read the pololu PDF file relating to the card?

Are there any lights showing, if so which color and are they flashing fast , slow and or steady?
    here is a list to check off
    Hi, here the light description of Jrk12v12:

green static and red =
    1) jrk connected to USB
    2) jrk not choosed in jrk config utility or not communicating
    3) motor disconnected or no powered

green flashing and red =
    1)jrk connected to USB
    2)jrk choosed in Jrk config utility or x-sim - jrk communicating
    3) motor disconnected or no powered

green static and yellow flashing =
    1)jrk connected to USB
    2)jrk NOT choosed in Jrk config utility or not communicating
    3)jrk connected to the motor and to battery and waiting command

green flashing and yellow =
    1)jrk connected to USB
    2)jrk choosed in Jrk config utility and communicating
    3)the motor should move if you give the right command in jrk config utility or X-SIM and if the cables are connected right

Check carefully the cables to the jrk and the weldings.

Read page 6 of the PDF file for error lights, and page 37 to set certain error responses on the card.
  8. christianr3

christianr3 Member

Balance:
    531Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    :) thanks for the info, I thought I could do without using test x-sim, the truth I tried to install x-sim and I fail, I searched a tutorial to install x-sim and only with the installation in window vista and not in xp :no: , I'm very confused, I have come as far as I can build the simulator, and the most important thing is to install the software I have not even been able to do :blush: , if someone can help me thank you, greetings friends :hi:
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You can test to see if the motors are set up in the jrk utility program, you need to set feedback anyway and PID and then test the running of the motors with the test slider in jrk utility.
    If the motors work well, then go to the next step of x-sim set up.
  10. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This could cause issues depending on the motor used. I know in JRK utility there is an option to increase - decrease ms rate for jrk to think . 5ms is fine for wipers, I needed 25ms for my big motors.
  12. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, and introduces reaction delay too... I had that problem before... PID adds on the delay too since it uses fixed timing of 1 ms PID period. So the fastest response will be about 5ms or 25ms or whatever you choose for delay, plus the time that the motor needs to stop and change direction and speed.
  13. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    The only way I ever got down past 15ms delay was to run the jrks in servo mode. You can use a usb servo controller which are capable of recieving the at 2ms and hook the signal from it to the jrk via the Rx pin. This enables you to alot more in the jrk software setup. But the only issue i had was finding a reliable servo controller but before I could I worked out that I could communicate directly to the jrk. At these rates I have never noticed any lag in motion or large errors in position, ie when running the jrk software graph while testing I managed to fiddle with the pid and pid period to minimise my total error to just under 2ms .This is what the software allows fine tuning of the pid ,live and in action. Takes a bit to nut out and every dc motor is different. But with basic setting begineers should be able to set a basic pid that give a decent rate of motion in time with software.

But controlling of the jrk directly from USO any where from 33-20ms doesnt cause any motor errors to occur and really if you can see or feel a 33ms difference I would truely be amazed. Another note you need to match the same pause as set in xsim as in you set in Jrk config.
  14. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, for example, most USB joysticks with force feedback, have about 10ms response delay to recreate the feedback effects to the stick or the wheel. I sure noticed that delay while using my logitech momo wheel!!
  15. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    I would have to agree with that, what I think i was trying to say is that the feel of the motion doesnt feel delayed when you kiss a kerb and pop the front end up its as you expect it, punch the accel the frame pitchs very quickly and follows your feet motion perfectly, even notice the road dips and hope specially at fast speed. Been on CKAS 2DOF systems and that threw me for a six could not get any of the feel my system gave almost an embarising drive. Motion lagged behind the video movements badly.
  16. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    I ll be able to test the difference once my new amc 1.6 board turns up from the usa, its in production then 2 weeks by snail mail. All the parts have nearly arrived, take out the board costs its cheaper tham the jrk but still need a motor drive to run the motors. Have a pololu plus sparkfuns Monstor Motor Driver which has simular specs as the jrks execept it can run 2 motors at 30amp peaks.

So in turn I look forward to be able to test the new firware for the amc1.6 when it becomes ready, thanks.

Ps cost wise by the time i finish the amc and and cost of the motor driver, I could have nearly bought two jrks of the shelf and just plugged in, set limits, and build profiles. So I feel for a cheap system for begineers who can t build electronics its has my vote on ease of use and versitity, But for building your own board nothing comes close to the amc. Thanks.
  17. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My intentions from the beginning of the AMC project was to make something that fits to the motion simulation world we want. Back then, when I started, there was no jrk12v12 around and almost no other commercial solution available that could be used with x-sim. Not in realtime atleast. And still I aim to keep my project directed for motion simulator use, not just a general controller. Fast, Responsive and still able to work with a wide variety of motion simulators. I bet I could use my AMC to drive a AC driven motor system, with more accurate and fast response, than CKAS 2DOF.
  18. kubing

kubing Member

teacher, Industrial electronic programmer
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i dont have a chance to play with jrk12v12. what is the main problem? lag? slow respond?
  19. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

there is nothing wrong with the jrk, it is a great board if you are not electronically minded to make your own.
    They will handle 30 amps continuous and 40 amps peak with cooling, are very adaptable to different motors. The PID is easy to set and the uso commands are simple. They are very fast and reliable.
    As for ms reduction, 1 second = 1 million ms, so if you can tell the difference between 5 and 25 ms in motion during a game ,id like to know how.
  20. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    *1 millisecond = 0.001 seconds*

For 5ms period you get 200Hz or 200 new positions per second.

For 25ms period you get 40Hz or just 40 new positions per second!!! :lol:

Not that it make too much difference if you are using cheap motors but if you have good motors with no slack, you sure can get better detailed motion curve...

1ms period = 1000hz = 1000 new positions per second. Just like that!!! :rofl: