1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Pololu Jrk 12v12

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by Frakk, Sep 29, 2010.

1. shannonb1

shannonb1 Well-Known Member

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor, Arduino, JRK, 4DOF
    Thanks Eaorobbie,
    I knew what the POt's were, thought I read in a post to attach them to a motor and figured I was going to need a special motor for that. The power supply, I will most likely find and then post to make certain I am getting the righ tthing. I dont want to play around with the part that I will use to Fry everything!lol. Thanks for the feedback. what guage steel did you use for your frame? Do you find it flexes or is it pretty solid? Looks to be inch or inch and a half square steel tubing.
  2. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    No worries mate. Pots on my first unit were attached with leavers and pins second with the boat winches I found a small rc helicopter gear that had the same teeth and attached the pots to the motor lever, look at some the other builds and ya will see different ways of attaching them, either links, gears or directly on the axis measuring the chair position.
    I should have put a bit more detail in my post a little of subject - 25mmx25mmx1.6mm shs. No noticable flex, next time I will use 35 shs, alot of guys use a 40 mm ali profile - recommended.
  3. shannonb1

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  4. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    With a power supply like you posted you have to make your own 11V connector and wires and put it in a safe place.

Just use a regular ATX power supply from a computer. It will also give a 5V supply for other things..
  5. shannonb1

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks Frakk, any certain wattage I should go for with the PC power Supply?
  6. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hello all, I am near to make my first experiments with a Jrk12v12!

These are my items:
    1) Jrk 12V12
    2) car winch DC 12v 2000lb pulling capacity motor
    3 ) DC 12v 20A wiper motor ( to test the Jrk)
    4 ) Potentiometer mod 534 (10 turns)
    5 ) amperometer (0-50A)
    6 ) DC Battery 12V 50Ah 420A
    7 ) AC to DC converter power supply 12v 20A (for recharge the battery)
    8 ) power disconnector switch (main power on/off)
    9 ) 6mm diameter cables
    10 ) A-Bmini USB cable
    11 ) as eaorobbie tell, I am in search about a little gear (eaorobbie use an electric RC helicopter gear) to make my pot connected to the motor gears.

I am reading the Jrk manual and I hope tomorrow I will make my first experiments.. :)

A little question about the connection between Jrk, motor, pot and battery :
    Look at the pic I had posted, the wiring is correct?

I would to thank again and again you dudes for the total help of this forum! :cheers:

Attached Files:

7. Technic

Technic New Member

Balance:
    300Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Why he need 11V and for what we can use 5V ? By the way, is there some parts on Pololu that need to be cooled ?
  8. Deleted member 4666

Deleted member 4666

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    • 12V for driving the motor/s
    • 5V for powering LEDs, LCDs, ... anything that just needs 5V ... ;)

Actually the 12v12 needs a 5V input voltage to drive.
  9. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Aldoz ya wiring alittle out most pots wire to 1 - ground, 2 - signal(feedback) and 3 is 5v.
    Buk jrk12v12 draws its 5volts from usb connection so the 5v for the card is not needed unless you are using another card to communicate to it which defys what the card was designed for a usb motor controller with feedback control. ?
  10. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hi aeorobbie, mmm I don't sure I understand you at 100%.
    Please tell me if I understand:

1) I have to connect my pot with jrk in this way:
    POT pin 1 -------> jrk GND
    POT pin 2 -------> jrk feedback input FB
    POT pin 3 -------> jrk 5V

2) the wire to the jrk 5V is no needed. cause JRK draw already these 5V from the USB connection.

Please tell me If i am wrong.
  11. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Sorry Aldoz thats is exacty what i stated and yes unless you are using a radio controller or microcontroller to run the jrk from the pc then 5v connection is needed.

In case read this
    Locate the terminals on your potentiometer. Looking at the pot with the terminals facing toward you, note the three terminals from left to right as 1, 2 and 3.

Solder one end of a piece of wire to terminal 1. This will act as your grounding wire and ensure the pot can be tuned to zero signal when turned all the way down. Solder the other end of your ground to the chassis of your application or other piece of metal outside of the circuit.

Attach a wire from the output of your circuit to terminal 3 and solder it into place. This will be the wire that carries the signal into the potentiometer. For an electrical guitar, as an example, this would be the output wire from your guitar's pickup.

Solder a wire to terminal 2. This is the output signal from your volume pot. Wire it to the appropriate place in your circuit to complete the signal path. In an electrical guitar this output signal would either be routed to a tone controlling potentiometer or to the output jack on the guitar.

Test your circuit by placing one lead of a voltmeter before the pot and the other after the pot. Turn the potentiometer and the voltmeter should register a change.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5517164_wire-potentiometer.html
  12. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Thank you mate! Please take a look on the image attached and confirm me if the wiring is correct!

The Pot terminal 3 can be NOT wired as I use the Jrk connected to my PC via USB, right?

Sorry If I repeat myself but my damned english it's a really bad and ugly creature :(

And thank you!

Attached Files:

13. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    no connect pin 1 from pot to gnd pin on jrk. Then we got it 8)
  14. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Mate, thank you so much! :cheers:

Today made the weldings in the Jrk, my first real experiment is near!
  15. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    First experiment with Pololu Jrk 12v12 +XSIM

Hello again, today I made my first experiments with the jrk12v12 connected to my winch motor using X-SIM!

I made an axis with Output 1:1 (Gforce) math plugin with max value = 1000 and minimum value = -1000

I was using the test tablet (slider 21) to move my motor :

* With the slider 21 set to -1000 I had my motor stopped

* moving up my slider 21 so my motor start to move slow clockwise

* moving up much more my slider 21 so my motor accellerate, always clockwise

* So I obtain a propotional accelleration of my motor when I move up my slider 21 and I obtain a proportional deceleration when I move down my slider 21. always clockwise.

Now, my question:
    How can I set this :

*slider 21 at + value ---> motor proportionally accellerate clockwise when my + (plus) value get higher
    *slider 21 at 0 ---------> motor stopped
    *sliider 21 at - value ---> motor proportionally accellerate anticlockwise when my - (minus)value get bigger

In other words I would my motor accellerate proportionally clockwise when the slider 21value start from +1 to +1000
    and I would my motor accellerate proportionally anticlockwise when the slider 21 value start from -1 to -1000. Obviuous, when the slider 21 value is 0 so my motor must be stopped.

And last question :
    How can I set the limits of the motor movements (rotation)? I would to obtain my motor NOT going in an infinite loop. Now when my slider is at a + value so the motor have a precise speed but have NOT a limit for his rotation, the motor rotor always rotating (since I have my slider not a -1000, because actually the -1000 value = motor stopped).
    for example, I would that after 2 complete rotation (clockwise or anticlockwise), my motor rotor stop his rotation. I hope you can understand me.
    Maybe I need to use my Pot for this? It's maybe a feedback matter?

PS. From my Jrk configuration utility, I can move my motor clockwise and anticlockwise without problems.
  16. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ok Aldoz I will try to explain simply for ya.

Sounds like you have most of the connection right. But the Jrk12v12 needs the pot to be connected to the motor arm so that the card knows where the arm is positioned. Example : in your case 1000 would represent the arm being at its highest point and -1000 being at its lowest point.

So once the feedback pot is connected to the motor arm either by leaver or gears you will not get proper movements.

[​IMG]

as in this example as the arm moves down it rotates the pot, which in turn tells the jrk12v12 were excatly the arm has moved to. once setup like this the card controls the speed of the motor, if value changes quickly motor moves with 100% duty cycle but if the value moves slowly the duty cycle is lower. therefore no complicated maths the card does it all for ya.
    if ya can post a pic of how ya have it set, from there i can guide ya.
  17. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hi eaorobbie!. In these days I made many forward steps, I follow your and the other dudes directives and now I can move my motor using X-SIM!.
    But now the situation get serious..! :)

So:
    Yes I would that!
    1000 = highest movement point
    -1000 = lowest point
    we will speak later about the speed and accelleration variables.

So I need my pot connected to the arm motor if I want to obtain the correct start and end point of the motor arm movement (and the intermediate movement positions too)

Ok eaorobbie, for now I haven't my Pot connected to my arm motor. I am waiting my RC heli gear (I think it will arrive me on monday).
    however I show to you my photos about actual situation so you can make an idea (really sorry for the bad photo quality).

Attached Files:

18. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    All looks good mate.

Just one test ya can perform without the gearing,

is to wire the pot to the jrk12v12, as described before. This will allow you to set the feedback values on the pololu software which will enable you to test motor direction and speed. For example once the pot is wired set the maxium forward to the pot turned all the way to left and maxium backward to the pot turned all the way right. Once saved to card, start the motor and because ya pot is still turned all the way right your motor should spin fast to the left.(make sure in the first folder in pololu config is set to serial and the postion is set to middle and automatic.)Then by turning the pot slowly to the left the motor should slow down and eventually stop, this is the middle or the level position, then keep turning left and the motor should slowly increase in speed turning right (the other dircection) once the pot is at its limit to the left it should be spinning at about the same speed as it started but in the opposite direction.

Secondly i found when opening the motor i found a restistor on each terminal earthing them both to the body of the motor, they need to be removed from the motor or the outside of the motor is live and when placed in a sim chair the whole chair is live resulting in destruction of anything earthing to your frame, i discovered this by blowing up my g25 wheel, ouch that hurt the pennys, sorry should have told ya eariler. This can be tested with a multimeter. Plus i removed the relay and inline fuse from the winch and connected the terminals of the motor directly to the jrk12v12 or the motor only goes one way.(ah ha)

Again looking very promising and wow what a small world that winch almost looks identical to mine, half a world apart, wow. :thbup:
  19. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    :) Thank you so much mate, your help it's really apreciated!

So:
    Yeah, I detach all the components you'r telling, (see the pic 1) PIC_1.JPG and now only the 2 main cables exit from my motor (see pic 2) PIC_2.JPG .
    Over, I have to remount some iron components to my winch because when I was removing the iron cable, so I disassembled these iron components and now I have to remount they correctly.. but this is an another story :)
    Sure I am sad for your G25 wheel, these are the things can be happen when we make these electrical/mechanical experiments!.. :? :)

Ok, now the interesting thing.
    I trying to follow your instructions but I loose somethings.

These are my steps:

1) I wire my POT as the PIC 3 showing. PIC_3.jpg

(real life schema on PIC3B :) )
    PIC_3B.jpg

2) I run the Jrk configuration utility, and I went to the INPUT page.
    (PIC 4) PIC_4_Input_page.jpg
    You can notice that I can't to modify the scaling section of the input page. I don't know whether it is right way or not.
    However when I rotate my pot so I can see (in the plots of variables) the scaled feedback line that go up or down, depend the direction I am rotating my pot. So I know that my pot is wired correctly. See it on PIC 4B:
    PIC_4B_Jrk_config_utility_scaled_feedback_line.jpg

But here the problem. I don't understand when you say that :
    When I set my pot all rotated left and when I set my pot all rotated right I need to save, ok, saved. And I repeat I can see the scaled feedback line moving, but how can I attach the scaled feedback line with the target line? (I supose the target line is the line of the movement of the arm (clockwise or anticlockwise)

But when I start the motor I can move it (clockwise or anticlockwise) just with the manually set target bar (if the bar slider is in the middle position, my motor is stopped). And if I push the automatically set target button, the story don't change. I can move the motor only with this slider, not with my pot!

Please take a look at my PIC 5 to see my JRK config utility feedback page
    PIC_5_feedback_page.jpg

and look at my PIC 6 to see my motor page
    PIC_6_motor_page.jpg

Thank you mate! really. :thbup:
  20. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Done mate! Now I can move my motor with my POT!
    I needed to set the PID page for that!

About the discussion of your destroyed G25 wheel, please, teach me, I need to dismount other things for avoid your problem?