1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Pololu Jrk 12v12

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by Frakk, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    This has nothing to do with the Pololu controller. If you can get data from the game, the motors will be running.
  2. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Have you tested this with load, does it get hot and have you found a way to mount heatsink?

Fred
  3. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    yep, sim plus 120kg guy me biggest friend poor guy broke a real sweat after an hour and when finished i had to help him out. about a 4 hour nascar run. His sim will be the Aliminum unit Im to build nexted.

heat small stick on heatsinks plus a 12v minicpu fan attached. On a 32c day here with no aircon inside hasnt faulted yet. Plus a motor only draws full amps if it has to race from top to bottom in a split sec.
    with wiper motors only about 4amps recorded no problem for card she gets a little warm to touch but runs fine.

Sorry frakk a lot of the subject before.
  4. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hello dudes and hello eaorobbie!

Take a look to this pot:
    http://www.etisystems.com/mr46.asp

Seems ok but i would to wait your answer before buy it.

* 50K resistance value
    * Bushing mount
    * 5 turns (or over)
    * NO Limit Switches
    * NO O-Ring Shaft Seal
    * NO Sealed Body

Are all correct? Can this pot works fine with the Pololu Jrk 12v12 using a brushed 12V 20A motor?

Thanks
  5. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Well heres the one I used http://www.vishay.com/product?docid=57065&query=535 535 is the one i used.

[​IMG]
    Mount with a Rc Helecoptor main gear from http://www.centuryheli.com part#CNE510A which just happened to match the gearing perfectly to gain just under 5 turns in the motion range i wanted.

[​IMG]

But with experimenting ya will find what pot and how ya set it is best to use for your situation.
  6. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Yes dude, I think maybe.. now I need to do some some experiments! pololu Jrk12v12, power supplies, winches already ordered.. now it's the easy to find 5 turns potentiometers turn and when I'ii have all.. the fun will start!..I hope more fun than disperation.. waiting your guide!

Thank you again for help!
  7. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Sorry eaorobbie, just another thing.. (the last dude! ;) )
    My winch is a 280watts motor. Yours is the same?
    I remember your words about the pots (with 12v 20a a maximum of 240watts motor..) so can you confirm me your winch is 280watt too?

And if not, could I still use my winch with reduced watts? (not the 280 but just 240 watts?)

Thank you
  8. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Always love a question it helps to remember things.

The Jrk12v12 can peak to 30amps but cant keep it there for too long as it produces too much heat. Just means ya motors fastest speed will be down alittle ,proberly not noticeable. The units I've got had a inline fuse for 25amps so I thought to myself that a 20amp power supply would be ok and with measuring running amps with the sim full loaded ,two people standing in seat, to twice its inital design weight and the cards only drawed 8amps each so this was still with the 12amps the jrk12v12 can produce continuously with producing normal running temps and within the 20amps totally available to the Jrk12's.

I hope that helps, and yes thanks for the reminder must do a step by step guide to setting up and running the Jrk12v12 in X-sim.

Cheers please keep me informed of ya progress.
  9. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Yes eaorobbie, I notice that the drawed amps are pretty low for the force I need!

Current Draw of my winch:
    @ 150 lbs. Load: 4 to 6 amps
    @ 2,000 lbs. Load: 20 amps

So I think the situation about amps is under control!
    My big doubt was about the watts of the motor.

This winch is 280Watts but from what I understand (I hope to understand..) the Jrk12v12 can handle up to 240Watt motor.

But from your words I think that will be really hard to have my motor running in full 280watts right?
    EXAMPLE :when my motor draw 8amps (12v * 8amps = 96watt) so it's perfectly under the limit (240Watts) of the Jrk12v12!... right?

I'am not sure I getting perfectly the situation, and sure I don't want boring you or other guys asking to teach me about the watts and amps! :blush:

Just I would to know If my 280watts motor can be handled by the Jrk12v12 without big problems!
  10. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ya alright mate my units are simular and no probs with mine. Still bounces me around and Im not a gun electrician. pretty sure watts = volts * amps.
    Maybe ya should join the pololu forum and ask the same question to the maker of the Jrk12v12, also there a lot of information there too, thats were i got the idea to use them.
  11. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Thank you very much for help and patience mate! :hi:
  12. Langan

Langan New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello and thanks for your expertise,

So to configure a joyrider setup, I need:

2 wiper motors
    Dual VNH3SP30 Motor Driver Carrier MD03A (http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/707)
    2 Pololu Jrk 12v12 Controllers
    x-sim software (How does this need to be modified?)
    The PVC joyrider body, chair, pullies, display
    and one computer

correct?
  13. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    the Dual VNH3SP30 Motor Driver Carrier MD03A are not needed as the Jrk12v12 already has the MD03A chip on board and can handle bigger motors than the wiper motors.
    Xsim software does not need to modifed, It can talk directly through the uso to the command port of the Jrk12v12 plugged into the pc via usb.

Apart from this all ya need.
  14. tmod2441

tmod2441 New Member

Fabricator
    Balance:
    455Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello. I too have switched to using the Pololu jrk 12v12 controller. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely not taking anything away from Thanos as he has done a remarkable job. It's more the fact that I suck at troubleshooting electronics and mathematical formulas. After reading the posts made by Frakk, I was convinced that perhaps it might be easier for me to go to something a little more Dummie friendly. I am trying to use this for FS2004, FSX and IL2

Anyhow, here is what I have
    two 12V wiper motors from here http://monsterguts.com/index.php?act=vi ... roductId=4
    One 14VDC Power Supply
    Two Pololu jrk 12v12 motor controllers
    Two 100K Pots from here http://www.alliedelec.com/search/produc ... KU=7542054
    X-Sim 2.1.0.3
    Pololu's configuration utility for the JRK 12v12

I connected everything with the help of Frakk and Eaorobbie's post found here pololu-jrk-12v12-t2697-10.html
    I noticed that when I use the configuration utility the motors function properly using the pots. However in the Profiler it seems that my pot calibration gets out of wack and centering the pots does not stop the motors. When I fire up FSX the motor will turn very slowly in the pitch down and does nothing in the pitch up. I’m not sure what settings to adjust to correct the problem. I’m very pleased to have gotten this far. I hope I have provided enough information. Thanks for any help that can stir me in the right direction.

Below are screen shots of my setup

Attached Files:

15. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    well mate i havent tried the cards in a flight sim setup but have found in the uso's with the v2 ya have to replace ~~225~ with ~~221~. And in ya maths plugin ya need to use + and - in the pitch if ya only use + the motor only turns one way.

Plus i see ya only connected one jrk12v12 to test.
    Mate have messenger and teamviewer if needed.
    P.s one test is to move the slider in maths pluggin to test movement plus this can be done in xp with the pololu config. running with graph output to see what data xsim is sending. plus what are the setting u using in this. Plus also noted in pololu forums the config programme can sometimes conflict with other programs trying to use the card i havent found this an issue under XP.
  16. Technic

Technic New Member

Balance:
    300Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone I found this forum 3 days ago and I just love it !

I want to make my first project on Polulu- trouble with eletronic..

Can you explain me why you can't run Dirt ? My fav game is Dirt 2 and that's the biggest reason that I want to make my motion simulator.

I don't know why I need pot's- what are they for (maybe some link). I'm trying to read as much as I can - but I'm from Poland and my english isn't very good).

Someone here say that need just 1 amp- it's possible ? We need to have 2 pololu (2dof), so we need 2 amp ? Maybe I read to much and nobody say that ? :)

By the way where can I buy P12v12 with good price (in Europe) ? On the Pololu site there is 0 at stock/@ e-bay also only in USA - for me it's +23% tax

Really nice to see that ppl from forum are so friendly and wanna help other...
  17. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    ah dirt2 worked with the supplied game pluggin but I only tried Dirt quickly but swapped back to Dirt2.
    Mainly use Rfactor Aussie V8 SuperCars is my pashion.

On the amps side of things correct me if Im wrong Frankk, All depends on size of motor and how much force ya need.
    As if how much force is needed to move the whole weight sim around.
    Example I went for a high amp units 20-25amp Motors, and once balance the sim properly the motors only draw half the amps available with max speed movement basically i have weight room to build with,means i can add a lot more weight and still obtain good speed movement.

Yes for 2DOF Sim chair would require 2 Jrk12v12s as well pots are linked or geared to the motor arm or spindal to relay the position of the arm/motor so the Jrk12v12 knows exactly where it is. Plus i found a good quality pot ($30-$40) make a vast improvement to how the card reacts.The dearer one has nice smooth motion and razer sharp positioning and the cheap one works but a little jerky and not very good at finding an exact postion fast tend to overshoot a little. So really money spent right at the start leads to a nice running setup.
  18. Deaks

Deaks New Member

Freelance Editor
    Balance:
    388Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have found a supplier in the UK (close to where I live) that has the 12v12 in stock @ £72.74 (GBP)
    http://www.active-robots.com/products/m ... html#motor

I have pretty much decided that I will use these controllers rather than trying to build my own and frying the mosfets.
    Electronics is not really my thing.
    I plan on using 3 12v12 for my race simulator, the third motor will simulate rear traction loss similar to the scn5 based simxperience setup.
    No idea how to create the profiles for rfactor just yet, but I am still building the chassis at the moment.

Hope the info helps

Deaks
  19. shannonb1

shannonb1 Well-Known Member

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor, Arduino, JRK, 4DOF
    OK, this is awesome but a few questions....

1. Where do I connect the POTS, I would assume the Pololu, but is that not correct?
    2. Im in the US, I need the correct power supply to use with 2 of these, what should I get?
    3. Any certain wiper motor work best?
    4. Are there any diagrams out there that show wiring and where to connect motors and power source?

I was going to go the route of the k8055, but this sounds like its about a 200$ investment for the boards that will replace the need for a k8055 and a h-bridge.

Thanks Gang, good work!
  20. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Welcome Shannonb1,

1.Pots are wired back to the pololu controllers. And are needed to supply feedback on where the motor is positioned.

2.Basicly a 12volt DC power supplys need with about a 20amp supply needed.

3.Perferably new wiper motor or a 12volt DC geared motor with a ratio between 40 to 60 :1. I used a 12 volt Boat winch
    motor.

4.Take a look at my post servo-driven-2dof-t2869.html should just about explain most things.

Any further questions just post and we will get back to ya as soon as possible.
    Happy Simming.