1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Polarized stereo 3D using 2 projectors + cheap foil filters

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Skaut69, Jun 20, 2010.

1. ericRacer

ericRacer You get old because you stop playing ! Gold Contributor

Pilot
    Balance:
    989Coins
    Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    hi, i am a new bulder !
    and i am very interested about your project but, i got a question ?

What is the difference between 3d like you and collimation, i bought the vuze glasses 3d but we don't have the deep in the picture, it is only the car that is in 3d not the rest !

thank you
    Eric
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    And what are you using to keep it on your nose? Chewing gum? ;D

regards
  3. Skaut69

Skaut69 Member

Balance:
    335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    egoexpress - i`ve made it just to see what the diference will be and i am still using tape to keep it on nose. I am open to some solutions. I`ve seen some normal/reading glasess like this - i have to take a look around stores. Chewing gum.......good one.
  4. Skaut69

Skaut69 Member

Balance:
    335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    albator1968 - i have no experience with Collimated light or any this type of projections. Can you give some examples or projects which you have seen. Maybe that will ring some bells.
    Same thing in case of vuze glasses. What type of stereo projection they are ?

Sometimes setting up picture separation you can get this kind of view - car seen in 3D depth but not much in case of enviroment. If you can - play with settings to get different experience. In some games you have to go on compromise - to get correct depth arround you have to accept blury cockpit. This is all about game being converted to stereo view. It will change when developers will start making games with native stereo support.
  5. Skaut69

Skaut69 Member

Balance:
    335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This can help some of you - in case of your eyes ability to see stereo picture properly. Every humen have dominant eye. Knowing which one is yours will help you to set stereo settings correctly.

The dominant eye is the eye that looks directly at an object. The non-dominant eye is the eye that looks at the same object at a slight angle. This small difference provides depth perception.

with the both eyes open, raise your right arm and point to an object in the distance. Anything more than about 20 feet away is ideal. Continue to look at and point at the object and cover the left eye. Did your pointing finger seem to move off the target? Continue pointing and cover your right eye. Did your pointing finger seem to move off the target with your right eye covered? Your dominant eye is the eye you using when the pointing finger does not seem to move. Being right or left handed will not necessarily determine if you are right or left eye dominant.
  6. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well I hope you can get F1 2010 by codemasters running on it in 3-d. It comes out 21st September I think.

The glass without frame is good idea because you don't want to see anything in corner of eye.

And it would be great if FAG could make a profile software like he did with the GTR2 but with the F1 game. That was amazing. I would pay him or donate to this website for the same type of profile he did with GTR2.

Basically you can adjust it all and use with any car. It is great.

I've used singular profiles for iRACING and they don't feel right for some reason. So I just play GTR2.

But I am hoping for F1 to be 80% simulation.
  7. Skaut69

Skaut69 Member

Balance:
    335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am not much into F1 but i`l give it a try. I`ll buy it anyway - just want to see this new engine and how it works with stero mode. Hopefully it is integrated in game code.
  8. Skaut69

Skaut69 Member

Balance:
    335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Like i said i am giving a try with Linear Polarization. I`ve set it up and play for about one day. I am back with excitement. First things first.
    I did purhase linear polarized filters and frameless glasses from Berezin. Whole cost me 48 $ (37Euro, 30£) with international delivery. First look and you know that it is high quality product. Filters are plastic one but they looks like proper glass. They are big (100mm square), thick (2mm) and very clear. Surface is very high quality - no even small scratch on it. Glasses are plastic one as well. I bought them without frame. Construction is quite strong but you have to be careful anyway - quite fin lens (not like them foil one - they are about 4 times thicker). Quality of lens is also top one and whole glasses are very light - you don`t feel them on your nose at all (and because theirs lack of frame you almost don`t see them).

First thing about experience is that you can easy see this step forward in case of clearness of the picture. I don`t know if that because of diferent type of polarization or just filters are much better quality. Now everything is much more visible and brighter. Glasses without frame works perfect. Everybody complains about glasses discomfort in case of 3D entertainment and right here you have a solution. Like no glasses at all !

Stereo is perfect. After hours of play i`ve noticed some small adventages in case of quality like no crossing views/objects - this is because they separating left and right picture a lot better then it was with the old one. One thing exist like we knew before. If you will tilt your head to the side you will completely lose stereo effect. I went through some ridiculous tests on simulator to see if this will affect experience. It did not happened. When you drive you always try to keep your head in level (side of view horizontally) even if your body is in high angle. Anyway you really have to tilt your head more then 45 degree to lose it, thats why i am not considering this subject as an issue.

Attached Files:

9. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all this great information! The quality of your new polarizers and glasses is responsible for the improved image quality.
    In theory, it shouldn't matter what type of polarization you are using.

Also glad to see that even linear filters work with fairly high angles differences!
  10. gosmart

gosmart New Member

Balance:
    38Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi!

I read the whole thread throughly couple of times. I am impressed with ideas that people come up with on this forum.
    Thanks Skaut69!

Can you elaborate what is the purpose of anodized alu, if there is no difference? It seems in contradiction with first post.

Also, I am bit confused about projectors choice.
    You wrote that you are using Panasonic PT-AE3000. It has Native Resolution: 1080p (1920x1080), Brightness:1600 lumens, Contrast: 60,000:1.
    You also wrote
    Most cheaper projectors have better brightness and much worse contrast. Can you comment on that?
  11. Skaut69

Skaut69 Member

Balance:
    335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    To see steroscopic picture with this setup you have to use polarized screen. We know that all them have kind of metalic surface thats why i start testing with all metalic surfaces to see which one will be the best. At the moment Anodized aluminium sheet is absolutely perfect. When i did compare this alu screen to white wall i ment about the quality. You know that when it comes to screen for normal projection the best will be snow white surface - thats why i ment that there is no diference betweene them in case of quality. You can see bright, sharp picture like on great quality white screen.

In case of projector first thing is always resolution. If you will get Full HD (1920x1080) one then you can think about the rest of it. Nothing matters when you have low resolution in stero view - this can spoil all your ambitions. After go for the highes Lumens - About 1500 ANSI. It means how powerfull is your lamp and how bright picture will be. Dont bother about brightness when you will get contrast around 50000:1. this will do the job. Remember it is all to get the best quality which means a lot when you see open space on the front of you with every object in proper geometry.
    Keep in mind all that what i wrot about your room. Walls should be dark to prevent from reflections and stupid brightness arround you (distraction).

This week i will post some test and pictures about stereo glasses. I have four different ones (shape and filters).

Don`t hesitate if you got more questions.
  12. gosmart

gosmart New Member

Balance:
    38Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks!
    Do you have any experience with cheaper projectors? 1024x768 or 1280x720.
    Obviously, more is better but would it be usable? Very bad contrast compared to what you are suggesting.
  13. Skaut69

Skaut69 Member

Balance:
    335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I`ve seen 3D Vision on 720p and i didn`t like it, because of weak sharpness (total mess). Keep in mind that when you see stero picture everything looks life like and you really want to stay with it. So going for lower resolution is only messing with your experience.
    I will make small test tonight. I will drop my resolution to 1280x720 in few games and let you know what i think about it after some time of gameplay. Contrast of course has to stay as it is -........... or i have some idea how to cheat it. Will see....
  14. Skaut69

Skaut69 Member

Balance:
    335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I`ve did play for about 30 min L4D2, Darksiders, Race On, Medal of Honor and Dirt 2. I changed resolution to 1280x720 and set Eco Mode which drops Brightness (Lumen). I`ve also changed some settings to get kind of dull picture. After this all - only quality was affected, nothig happened to stero view. Everythig was like it use to be. Of course smaller area, because of smaller resolution was an issue in case of immersion but it was easy to froget about it. Actually lower resolution wasn`t that annoing like it is on flat picture. When you see all of this in this massive space before you you indented edges are hardly noticable. Even darker picture wasn`t that bad - i went really low on this and still was able to play comfortable.

I found this one with really good spec for much less.

The Panasonic PT-AE900E is a native high-definition home cinema projector that produces stunning, crisp, detailed cinema-like images thanks to a powerful 5500:1 Contrast Ratio and 1100 lumen light output.

The PT-AE900E is equipped with three 16:9 native, 1280 x 720 pixel (2.76 million effective pixels) HD LCD panels that produce a phenomenal picture quality with detailed images especially from High Definition sources.

Set up of the PT-AE900E is simple thanks to a 2X optical zoom and verical/horizontal Lens Shift. The 2X optical zoom lens allows image size adjustment to accommodate any room layout or screen size whilst a joystick-controlled optical system permits easy vertical and horizontal Lens Shift to enable the user to adjust the screen easily without having to move the actual projector, and without distorting the on-screen image.
  15. gosmart

gosmart New Member

Balance:
    38Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  16. Skaut69

Skaut69 Member

Balance:
    335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  17. gosmart

gosmart New Member

Balance:
    38Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Uh, I was not aware of this 3D Nvidia functionality. Thats a whole different story.

I chose this one because it is most affordable with such resolution.
  18. Skaut69

Skaut69 Member

Balance:
    335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  19. gosmart

gosmart New Member

Balance:
    38Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking in using two of those in polarized 3D setup, because it is the most affordable projector with such resolution on local market. I'll see how it goes. I'll try to rent first. :)
  20. Skaut69

Skaut69 Member

Balance:
    335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    You have to be aware of one things.
    If you will go for Nvidia 3D Vision you can not work with just two. Nvidia`s Surround 3D works only with three same outputs (projectors or monitors). You are ending with Huge Resolution - if you will rotate desktop for each one of them.

Ask NIMA - he is on the same idea.