1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Pneumatic basics

Discussion in 'Pneumatic equipment - outdated' started by DannyT, Mar 12, 2013.

1. DannyT

DannyT Rider

Balance:
    219Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hi there,
    a year ago I started to build a flight simulator. The main problem was the weight of around 300 kg. Therefore I used carjacks. Worked ok for me. Unfortunetly the movement is too slow and the jack too noisy.
    Now I decided to use Pneumatic cylinders. I could learn here that I need the cylinders, valves, a compressor and my velleman 8055 board. Is that right, that the velleman drives the valves similar to relay? What kind of cylinders do I need, as often there is no hint how many Newton they can push. Only how many air pressure? Is there somewhere a tutorial how to manage to operate the velleman with Pneumatic?

Thanks for help in advance..

Dennie
  2. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,463Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,318 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Hi Danny
    Yepp, pneumatic valves are either on or off, like a relay. There is no ¼ or ½ on.
    Have a look at the pneumatic cylinders from Conrad, for example this one. Under Dokumente & Downloads you find the pdf documentation.

You can calculate the force from the pressure by multiplying the pressure [1 bar = 100'000 N/m²] with the working surface area, i.e. the surface area of the piston [m²]. The referenced cylinder has maximum pressure of 10 bar [= 1'000'000 N/m²] and a piston of Ø 63 mm = 0.063 m, therefore a resulting working surface of 0.0031 m² → The resulting force is 1'000'000 N/m² * 0.0031 m² = 3'117 N (≈ 318 kg). So this cylinder is just about capable of pushing the required 300 kg, provided you have 10 bar available.
    There is also a table in the data sheet where you can read the forces of the different versions of this cylinder at different pressures.
    I think there are not many people here who have built their sim with pneumatic cylinders. Nevertheless have a look around the forum. There are some projects here and AFAIK the Rock'n'Ride chairs are also driven by pneumatic cylinders.

value1
  3. xtech007

xtech007 Member

Balance:
    22Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi all!
    If my Advice can help, I suggest heavier Motors or perhaps servo motors with gearing reduction.
    I have tested many Pneumatic systems, valves,and controller cards.
    Sadly the Outcome has been Undesirable. :(
    Due to the nature of Pneumatics, air do Compresses and even in you are able to control the speed and direction a separate Close loop PID will be needed to maintain Position.
    5 Port 3 way valve help with holding momentary position (closed center)
    but if piston is above or below center position due to the surface area and volume piston will advance toward the less pressure side.

Hydraulics is a whole different animal!
    if you have $$$$ to spend this is the desirable system.
    keep in mind a system includes:
    PUMP, SERVO VALVES, PIPING, ACCUMULATOR, COOLER, ACTUATORS. do a quick search of any of the components and see the pricing

With that said here is a video of my Rig.

good Luck
  4. hayabura

hayabura New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0