1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Resolved Plugin issue after opening simhub

Discussion in 'SimTools Plugins' started by Nicki9knuckles, Jul 19, 2023.

1. Nicki9knuckles

Nicki9knuckles Active Member

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Motion platform
    This issue is occuring for me on multiple games, but I will describe it specifically for WRC Generations.

The problem:
    Plugin no longer works and needs to be reinstalled coming back to the game after previously using simtools AND simhub at the same time

Steps to reproduce:
    - turn on motion platform and start up simtools
    - open game from steam
    - wait until getting on track in game and verify motion is working
    - open simhub
    - verify BOTH motion and simhub devices are working
    - enjoy game, all is right in the world
    - close simhub
    - close simtools
    - turn off game

After this, if I start up simtools again and start the game, motion doesn't work, and no feedback in the min and max window. I need to uninstall the plugin then reinstall and restart the game. Then I need to capture a new min and max before I get motion again.
    Another odd thing and maybe a clue as to whats going on is that after uninstalling the plugin, when I go back into the game, my display settings are wrong. I need to go back into the display settings in game and change my resolution. It puts me at a low resolution for some reason after uninstalling the plugin. Not sure how that's possible but it happens everytime I uninstall the plugin and reinstall it.

I am assuming that this is related to the port that simtools and simhub using. Also note that in the plugin I have the UDP Relay Settings set to:
    127.0.0.1 on Port 22888
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2023
  2. GWiz

GWiz Active Member

Dentist
    Balance:
    1,460Coins
    Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    I suspect this is due to both Simhub and Stimtools being set to the same UDP port. Some games in Simhub need to be 'configured' . This writes or changes a *.ini file that tells the game which UDP port to send the telemetry to. When you install a plugin in Simtools, this does the same thing but may have slightly different settings. If you are opening/setting up Simtools and Simhub at different times rather than both before the game is launched, it may be that each program is overwriting the other's settings. If this is the issue, the best way to get around it, is to use port forwarding. This will allow Simhub to get the data it needs and forward onto a different port for Simtools.

If a game is configured using a Memory Mapped File (MMF), you don't have to worry about using several bits of software, but UDP will only be able to be used by one program and needs to be sent to another port if you are using a 2nd one. You mentioned UDP Relay settings, so you are maybe already doing this?

You sometimes have to combine the 2 configuration files to get things to work nicely, i.e. Get things running in Simhub, find and save the *.ini file, do the same in Simtools and save the *.ini file under a different name. Compare the contents of the 2 files and combine the UDP motion sections but with the original UDP port and whatever you set the port forwarded one to.

When configured correctly, you should be able to have both Simtools and Simhub running before launching a game and not have to capture any max or min settings more than once. If your display settings are being changed, it sounds like your game config file is being corrupted and reset at game launch.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks for your suggestion @GWiz. I tried a few more things but still no luck:
    In simtools for this game there is a UDP Relay settings window, i set this to port 22889.
    Then in simhub, I edited the telemetry section of the game config file to use this port 22889 (instead of the default 22888, I assume simtools must be using this port where the conflict it coming from)
    I still got no motion when doing this, and also after doing this when I open simhub it says that "a game is already using port 22889" which I found odd, because it should be relaying on that port not.

A second thing I tried was going the oppsite way:
    In simhub I set the listen port to its default of 22888 and then set its port forwarding to 22889, then in simtools for this game I set the udp relay port to 22889 but this still failed to produce any motion on the rig.

I didn't edit any .ini files, because I am not sure exactly what files you mean. Thanks again for the help. Do you have any other things I might try?
  4. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    OK, I think I figured out what I was doing wrong here.
    Having simtool's UDP relay set to 22889 is correct.
    Then have simhub UDP Port set to 2289 is correct.
    But then I was still getting a banner message at the top of simhub saying the game was not configured correctly and there was 3 options, fix automatically, fix manually, and ignore. I was clicking fix automatically and didn't think anything of it because the port was still set to 22889, but this was what was messing up simtools. It turns out I can click the ignore button and Simhub still functions as it should.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1