1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

OpenVR-MotionCompensation

Discussion in 'VR Headsets and Sim Gaming - Virtual Reality' started by Dschadu, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Patte83

Patte83 Member

Balance:
    24Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    sorry will go in discord now :)
  2. Avee

Avee Virtual Pilot

Balance:
    1,020Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hi @Dschadu ,
    I had a bit of a eureka moment after struggling with a Vive Tracker and FlyPT Mover input. Former has a vibration problem, the latter is not accurate enough because it only knows commands without feedback.

Request: Can you add COM ports as a possible input? With just a simple protocol like "[p21,3][r12,2][y0,4]" where p stands for pitch in degrees, r for roll, y for yaw. They describe the pose of the platform.

My idea: Since I only have a 2dof with a static pivot point, I can simply measure the angles of pitch and roll by means of geared potentiometers at the pivot. The pots will be evaluated by an arduino, with serial output to the PC. Analog wire pots are fast, precise and robust, I guess I will hardly need any filtering.

Currently for this to work, I would have to make a middleware on the PC which translates serial to UDP communication, then use FlyPTMover with a custom rig for UDP input, and the Mover output to OVRMC. So that's two "middlewares" chained, just to make the arduino talk to OVRMC. It would be more robust if I could just select a COM port as a tracker in OVRMC.
  3. Dschadu

Dschadu Active Member

Balance:
    1,933Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 1 / -0
    Sorry, this is not possible. This would require to rewrite a huge chunk of the code.
    Instead you can try to create a Virtual Tracker: https://ovrmc.dschadu.de/en/virtualtracker
    The tracker code is very simple.
    Also the latest Mover version gives you the option to add filters. Maybe this helps to adjust to hardware lag.
  4. Avee

Avee Virtual Pilot

Balance:
    1,020Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    The problem with filters is that the difference between commanded pose and current pose isn't consistent. There is play in the dofreality rigs, and small movements are not always completed.

I'll write a tracker plugin. That saves one step.
  5. Kurt Linton

Kurt Linton New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 13Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I believe Steam VR 1.16.10 broke V0.3.5 of OVRMC. I’M using Hp Reverb G2 and I get a blank screen whenever I enable motion compensation. Once I turn it off everything goes back to normal.
  6. Niko Nik

Niko Nik New Member

Balance:
    59Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi guys! I can't completely stabilize the motion of the VR, I'd like to get a completely still image, I have a full motion 6 Dof and I only use X-Plane 10. What parameters should I enter in the software to get my VR image completely stabilized?
  7. Elvtide

Elvtide New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 104Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I have troubles to use Yaw VR, Quest 2 and Controler as Tracker. The compensated view is yawing two times (est.) faster than the rig. So I´m turning in the direction of movement. The Controler is mountent 40cm in front and on same level as my Eyes. Can't find something with Google.
  8. Kenan

Kenan New Member

Balance:
    109Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform
    I have installed OV Motion Compensation..but it doesn't do much for me.
    I have YawVR + DCS World (non-Steam version) + Simtools (patched for MC).

When I try to use Steam VR Motion Compensation, my (non-Steam) DCS World performance gets laggy (and it doesnt appear to motion compensate at all). In the end, I just disable Steam and OVRMC and play DCS World without it..and although my Simtools DCS plugin is patched, I have to recenter my view ingame quite often..as it appears, my motion compensation is non-existent..
  9. Elvtide

Balance:
    - 104Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Problem solved: Input Emulator was inactive but installed... still caused the problems. Now everything works perfect.

Great piece of software, @Dschadu
    Thank you for that
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Elvtide

Balance:
    - 104Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Broken again. Nothing changed but it is yawing out of focus. Did SteamVR an update? Any information?
  11. Avee

Avee Virtual Pilot

Balance:
    1,020Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    A tone of entitlement does not really motivate to help out. People put in loads of time to make free software. It is on Github, if you can make it better, go ahead, or pay someone to do it. Just don't expect people to jump because you are unhappy.
  12. Chipless

Chipless Member

Balance:
    132Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    It just hit me that I never responded: I'm so sorry about that! Are you still looking for default values? Which video did you watch by the way? I'm guessing it was the same one I've seen, but still curious.
  13. Magus

Magus New Member

Balance:
    87Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    @Chipless not to worry. I ended up uninstalling the motion compensator and reducing the motion effect % on the simulator as there was no way of me firmly attaching the WMD controller to the rig so I gave up.
  14. Ronan Design

Ronan Design Roman Design - Custom MSFS Scenery

Web Designer, MSFS Scenery Designer
    Balance:
    843Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I was directed here with my noob qustions :) So here they are:

1. Has anyone done a successful DIY motion simulator for MSFS and WMR VR, specifically Reverb G2, with working motion compensation?

2. Is motion compensation for WMR OpenXR VR (not SteamVR) possible at all? VR needs to know and disregard motion simulator motion. If yes - how? With Reverb G2 WMR it uses OpenXR (based on OpenVR?) WMR driver, and though it can use SteamVR OpenXR it't so bad it doesn't really work at all. So I'm not sure the OpenVR solution actually works with WMR in MSFS. I'd love to get a feedback from somebody that has done it already, before committing on expensive and time-consuming build.

3. Is there a software that works with both MSFS and WMR VR for such a project? Can it transmit cockpit position from MSFS to the motion simulator and motion simulator's position to VR or whatever motion compensation solution above?

Bonus question:
    4. What approach would be the cheapest and easiest to build for that setup? I'm not looking for a lot of power, it can be modest, but I'd like about 40 degree roll (20 each side) and whatever I can manage for pitch. Doesn't have to be pretty, I'm in VR anyway. I don't have metalworking equipment or skills, but wood or PVC piping should be good. I also have 3D printer, if that is relevant. Will need to mount yoke, pedals and throttle.

I appreciate all advice.
  15. Christian T Holmes

Christian T Holmes New Member

Balance:
    87Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hey, what is the discord?

Maybe some can answer this: When I enable motion compensation, everything jumps and then looks like I'm on the floor. Everything in SteamVR jumps up and to the right. It used to work fine. The little icons for the tracker, basestations and even the UI move away from me. I'm using an index. Any idea how to fix this? It worked fine yesterday. I tried deleting everything and reinstalling, but no luck. thanks!
  16. VirtualObsession

VirtualObsession Member Gold Contributor

IT developer
    Balance:
    256Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    OpenVR Motion Compensation has only ever been working temperamentally for me. But today, after retesting after a month, it no longer starts up at all. It's doing various things, such as:
    crashing SteamVR or
    causing a "No HMD Found" error or
    showing a blank overlay
    or consistently getting blocked by SteamVR.

I have version 0.3.5 installed. I tried SteamVR beta and non-beta. I'm using an Index with a Vive tracker.

If there is no fix or workaround then I'll move to FlyPT Mover or write my own motion compensation application and overlay for my DIY motion rig, as this is the weakest link and it cannot be used without motion compensation.

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar issues.

[update] Vive trackers don't seem to work well with OVRMC on my pc. I just tried a Valve Index controller for the motion compensation and it worked flawlessly. That's good enough for me.:)
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  17. Dschadu

Dschadu Active Member

Balance:
    1,933Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 1 / -0
    OVRMC is open source - if you are able to help to fix the issues, you are more than welcome to contribute to this project!

Only thing that comes to mind is the starting procedure: turn on the hardware, then start SteamVR. This works 99% of the time for me.
    If OVRMC is started first (i.e. using the startdesktopmode.bat file) it will crash 100% (known issue)
  18. VirtualObsession

IT developer
    Balance:
    256Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Thanks for highlighting starting order issues. That may be the problem. The couple of times I did get it working that day with the tracker, I had the HMD view suddenly yawing 180% in-game. I had no issue with the controller. If I experience further issues, I'll take a peek at the code and see if I can debug the situation.
  19. VirtualObsession

IT developer
    Balance:
    256Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Ok, I've tested OVRMC for a few weeks. The most reliable way for me to get OVRMC started is by executing startdesktopmode.bat first thing. Although it takes a couple of tries. This opens a desktop overlay, which I find more usable than the overlay exclusive to VR.

I've encountered some strangeness. So if I have the Index tracking controller attached to my sim rig and I power it on and connect it to OVRMC before holding it in my hand and waving it about then the tracking centre of the controller is a few metres off the centre of the controller. Does the Index controller need some initial movement to calibrate it?

Occasionally, during play, the tracking can suddenly switch to where the origin is off a few metres again with x, y and z inverted.

flyPT Mover + OVRMC + virtual tracker:
    I've tried this. It doesn't produce any usable motion compensation. I've aligned the virtual tracker with the centre of the rig, with blue pointing towards me, green up and red right. Yawing, pitching and rolling the rig causes the whole world to rotate around an origin a few metres away, not around the centre of the virtual tracker x, y and z axes. Translational movement creates skewed movement. I'm not sure what's going on here. Maybe I'm not setting this up correctly.
  20. cfischer

cfischer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,425Coins
    Ratings:
    +234 / 1 / -0
    This is the bug that Dschadu has spent lots of time looking for with no success. It seems to happen whenever lighthouse tracking is in use. A lot of us are hoping that the current efforts to shift to openxr will solve this. There is some discussion about this in the discord.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated by the community. If you've got the skills then I envy you.
    • Informative Informative x 1