1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Odyssey+ Black Friday sale $299

Discussion in 'VR Headsets and Sim Gaming - Virtual Reality' started by noorbeast, Nov 12, 2018.

1. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Active Member

Balance:
    374Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN6
    I tried to switch to WMR, Odyssey, recently, but Rift is still better for me. Primary reason is fit. My full review if anyone is interested: https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...rosoft-mixed-reality.10663/page-3#post-160560

Note that my use is purely for racing.

I am however very much looking forward to Pimax, because it seems to have headstrap similar to CV1, and I am really disappointed with Oculus aggressive push of game ads.
  2. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Did you test Odyssey, or Odyssey + ?
  3. The Iron Wolf

Balance:
    374Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN6
    Odyssey. Not plus version. I never claimed it is +. However, plus still comes with rigid headstrap, and I really, really disliked it.
  4. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Just clarifying, as the thread was about the +, thanks for the feedback, backer of PIMAX myself.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The Iron Wolf

Balance:
    374Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN6
    I just want to make people aware that resolution is not everything, and hope my review will help someone. I really wanted to switch, but given problems I had I just couldn't. And I spent couple of days trying to like Odyssey, and failing.

One early Pimax backer in rF2 community received his device, his initial reports are very promising. We might be up for device of our dreams, finally :)
  6. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Just got my shipped notification from Samsung on my Odyssey+. :)

I don't see how I can go wrong at a purchase price of $299. If I don't like it I can just sell it on ebay and get my money back since used old Odyssey's are going for around the same price (at least atm).
  7. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    I have to disagree. I have the CV1 for roomscale games (and used it in the past for racing) but the fit on the odyssey for me is fine. In fact a friend of mine finds it much better then the rift, so its all about preference i guess.
    Besides that the resolution IMHO is everything, not in roomscale games but it is for racing and elite/xplane The FOV is also much better then that of the rift. I think the 110 claimed on the rift is incorrect. Thats why i use the Odyssey for my sim and the rift for roomscale in my room.
    I also ordered the plus version because the SDE is pretty bad in both Odyssey and Rift.
    Only problem with inside out tracking on the odyssey is not having any method to do motion cancelation.

Because these things are on your head ist really about personal preference. Just a side note, it did modify the Odyssey around the nose part. I took the flaps off and cut away some more rubber for better fit.
  8. The Iron Wolf

Balance:
    374Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN6
    Do not get me wrong guys, I hope you like your Odyssey+ devices, but I couldn't switch to Odyssey even though I really wanted to. But those devices are getting increasingly personal, face shape, head shape all influence how it fits you, so not all device fits all. I sold my Odyssey losing some money, but at least I learned rigid headstrap is not for me. Really looking forward to Pimax which seems to come with more CV1-like strap, and high FOV is what I personally care about the most. Exciting times! ;)
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  9. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Look what I just found on my front porch. :)
    OdyPlus2.jpg
    OdyPlus1.jpg
    OdyPlus.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  10. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Well the head strap fits me okay and seems comfortable enough but it doesn't fit my face that great. I have open pockets above both eyes on the outermost sides and around the nose that will need to be filled in somehow to cut out the light bleed. :( If you have a fat round face though it will probably fit you perfectly. :D
  11. The Iron Wolf

Balance:
    374Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN6
    That was my problem - it did not push against my face like CV1 and I hope Pimax will, because I just put a preorder...
    Sorry to hear that, maybe give it more try and time.
  12. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    It pushes against my face just fine. The problem is my head isn't shaped like a basketball but apparently Samsung believes peoples heads are all shaped that way. Its against my forehead and cheeks but I can stick my index finger thru the holes left above and to the sides of my eyes. And the nose piece is just a flap of vinyl that doesn't even push against your nose unless you have a Jimmy Durante.
    220px-Jimmy_durante_1964.JPG
    All that engineering to eliminate SDE yet they don't know they need to thicken the padding in order to seal on a normal persons face. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Since the face padding uses Velcro to hold it in place I was able to fix the nose issue by moving the padding in so it seals the open space the was between the nose flap and the padding. Now I just have to get something that will fill the open space at the eyes.
  14. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    • Informative Informative x 1