1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom ODrive Turnigy 190kv BLDC 6DOF - Here we go again

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by SilentChill, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Ari_Sväng

Ari_Sväng New Member

Balance:
    43Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I have made my own 6dof Simulator with your instructions. I have the same motors, encoders and power supplies. I am able to drive with it about two corners before it cuts operating because of over current of the motor. My rig have sometimes problems to be even still. Sometimes it takes just a few amps, but sometimes about 30-40 amps and then the motor gets really hot.:mad:

I am curious, how high is your current limit? I have 50A limit and it is not enough. I assume my rig is little bit heavier than yours because I have made it from steel and I have three 32" monitors. One of your post you mention that your setup can handle about 400kg. My rig isn't so much heavier :D. I am pretty sure that the weight isn't the problem. I just don't know what it is.
  2. Pierre Lalancette

Pierre Lalancette Sir Lalancelot Gold Contributor

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +884 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    You put your monitors on the rig. SeatTime has done something similar and destroyed one of his 4k monitor. Beware!
    Seattime's Sims
  3. misoswan

misoswan Active Member

Balance:
    1,006Coins
    Ratings:
    +72 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, JRK
    what firmware do you use your own or
    what firmware do you use your own or SilentChill? if you use your own try to use from him, provided that you use the same motors and the same odrive
  4. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Yep, it was a 4K 40 inch TV to be fair, but others seem to have better luck with monitors. Recently fitted a 32 inch monitor to my rig for testing only, but for many reasons I see off rig big TVs (55 inch) in my future.
  5. Ari_Sväng

Ari_Sväng New Member

Balance:
    43Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Let´s see if I am ever going to get this rig work properly.

My odrives are 3.6 56V, so I think I can´t use his FW? I tried ones, but I got all kind of errors so I didn´t look in to it after since. I made my own firmware to them with the instruction video below.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Tehrawk

Tehrawk New Member

Balance:
    168Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    You will get errors if you have a different firmware version that the one that SilentChill used. Im pretty sure it should be 0.4.12

You can install it to your Odrive using the following code
    pip install odrive==0.4.12

That will replace whatever the version you have currently, with what I believe is the correct one.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Ari_Sväng

Ari_Sväng New Member

Balance:
    43Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    That command just downgraded odrivetool. I manage to flash the odrives with STM32 programmer to 0.4.12. Or should I say I think I mangage, because odrives show that fw version is 0.0.1 or something like that. It still look like it works properly. I didn´t have time yet to test the rig, but everything is calibrated.

The answer to my original question, @SilentChill motor current limit is 50A.
  8. Mattia27c

Mattia27c New Member

Balance:
    37Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone,
    I’m a newbie in simulators; there is a link where can I find the FULL and UPDATED project? The only link I found is the gdrive folder of actuators….
    Thanks a lot for the support
  9. BDZ

BDZ New Member

Balance:
    166Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Search the Facebook group on Facebook MotionSimBuilders. Some bloke on their has taken (stolen?) silentchills design and will be selling kits if that makes it easy
  10. Mattia27c

Mattia27c New Member

Balance:
    37Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi @SilentChill ! You may update the shopping list, because lot of components are signed as x1
    when in reality you need x6 (for example: UJ Bearing, Ballscrew etc...). Therefore, the total cost exceeds 2000.

In addition, almost all ebay links are now not available.

Thank you so much for the support!
  11. Mattia27c

Mattia27c New Member

Balance:
    37Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are there stl files and sketchup for actuator V2 ?
  12. sandman7793

sandman7793 New Member Gold Contributor

IT Professional
    Balance:
    104Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It's the original link on page 7. He said in a few parts later he would update the same folder if everything held together.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Mclain

Mclain New Member

Balance:
    22Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Had to register to say im very impressed with this build. Wanted to go for a 3dof route, but looking at this, and seeing the low costs, i think i need to make more room and build this.. Its really really awesome.
  14. Rocketbase

Rocketbase New Member

Balance:
    - 104Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, 4DOF, 6DOF
    @SilentChill awesome work, and thanks for all this information and resources.
    • Like Like x 1