1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Oculus Rift - New immersive 3D VR Virtual Reality headset

Discussion in 'News' started by RaceRay, Aug 2, 2012.

1. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    headset.jpg
    A new kickstarter project was founded yesterday and it sounds absolut incredible. Especially when you are a simulator excited user.
    It´s about a new Virtual Reality headset called Oculus Rift. Watch the video to see yourself what the project is promising:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzCwczY1jTM&feature=player_detailpage

The main kickstarter goal to start the project is a pledge of only $250,000. Today the counter shows unbelievable $738,764 and there are still 29 days to go.
    I assume this kickstarter project will be the one which obtain the greatest amount of money a kickstarter project ever received.

But back to the technical details of the VR headset:

• A ultra low latency 6DOF (Degree of Freedom) head tracker
    • 110° FOV - Fiel of View diagonal and 90 degrees horizontal
    • 1280x800 px resolution total and 640 x 800 for every eye
    • Input DVI / HDMI amnd USB connector
    • Weight will be only 220g

It´s also said that the consumer version gets more and better technical features and specifications.

Some quotation by popular Software developers about using a oculus rift prototype headset

Journalists who played with a early prototype were really impressed by the immersive effect:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/06/john- ... ew-inside/
    http://www.golem.de/news/head-mounted-d ... 92363.html

Personally, i ordered the assembled developer kit for $300. I am confident to get that really promising VR headset running with the Flight-Simulator and my most popular racing games. A SDK is included in the virtual reality headset kit, so it is presumable that games will be modified to be compatible with it.
    Delieverytime is December 2012 - So it will be my own christmas gift :)
    I hope the old dream of a immersive and cheap 3D Virtual Veality headset for all of us became true in the end.

You find the whole article and the kickstarter site here:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152 ... o-the-game

Update: The Team about Oculus Rift add a FAQ to the project site
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152 ... o-the-game

Update 08.08.2012: Amazing - Over 1,4 Million Dollar are pledged by now and over 5900 packers are involved. The more packers the project gets the better the chance big gaming studios will put their effort into implementing some programming standards for using the virtual reality headset in coming games.

The Team also decide to offer some more packages for packers. The most attractive sets are:

- For 575$ you get two virtual reality headsets
    - For 850$ you get 3 headsets
    - For 1400$ they offer 5 headsets for the early adopters

In comparison to the price for a single headsets which costs 300$ you can safe some money when you buy some of the new sets.

When there are some more people who wants to buy a Oculus Rift,
    we could make a collective order with x-simulator members

live a life that is worth living,
    René

Tags: Virtual reality Brille, virtual reality head mounted, Oculus Rift headset, Oculus Rift VR, Oculus Rift HMD
  2. RensLensvelt

RensLensvelt New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've ordered one today! can't wait until december when it will arrive so i can start and experiment with it!
  3. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  4. museumsteve

museumsteve Member

Retailer
    Balance:
    136Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Very exciting :)
  5. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hope the Oculus Rift will be compatible with the Flight Simulator FSX and other older flight and racing games!
  6. whaleman

whaleman Member

Balance:
    7Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank Raceray for sharing this. Seems to be very interesting and people behind oculus are quite convincing about the product. I just upgraded my system to triple monitors, so I'll hold my horses until the consumer version is ready. Hopefully it'll be also competitive priced!
  7. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I bet the consumer version will be at least not more expensive than the developer edition of the oculus rift headset, proably and more realistic they offer it for a lower and more achievable price for the masses.

It´s also said, that the consumer version will be improved in resolution. I am excited ....
  8. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    New Update:

Meteor Entertainment and Adhesive Games have partnered with Oculus to launch their incredibly evocative mech shooter, Hawken, in virtual reality with the Rift headset on 12.12.2012.

What a date! :)

Check out the new promotion video:
    http://vimeo.com/48289061
  9. museumsteve

museumsteve Member

Retailer
    Balance:
    136Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Getting more excited now. I bought one through kickstarter so December cant come quick enough ;)
  10. prodigy

prodigy Burning revs

Balance:
    6,698Coins
    Ratings:
    +399 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, AC motor, SCN5, JRK
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...hould-have-acquired-oculus-rift-not-facebook/

Here is the inventor’s spin about the new acquisition from the article above:

BS I say! If I were offered 2 billion and would be set as a multimillionaire (or billionaire) for life as the inventor and one of the founders I would take the money too! At least he could be truthful about what is more than obvious!

While there is a lot of enthusiasm about the Oculus Rift, they have yet to produce a commercial product. Therefore, there are no guarantees that the company will ever be profitable! So I would take the sure thing now myself!

It's quite a story though, from a 21 year old college dropout to a multimillionaire in less than 2 years!
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  12. Barry

Barry Active Member

Web Developer
    Balance:
    3,877Coins
    Ratings:
    +251 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I think anyone would jump at the opportunity to have financial security for themselves and their family for the rest of their lives.

Aside from what goes on behind the scenes or who owns the company they have a fantastic product and now they have the money to push the development faster and further. They might even have the development power to get the consumer version sooner than expected.

They also now have the buying power to possibly make the consumer headset for less which may mean a lower retail price for the consumer. Any games development companies should be working hard to make VR games and get involved because I can see Oculus Rifts being the biggest change in gaming in many years.

I'm waiting patiently as it's one thing I've always wanted to be a success.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I agree Barry, with the financial power of the Facebook IP they should be able to get it out faster and cheaper. I would assume that they want as many of their customers as possible to be able to access (and pay for) the VR apps that they have planned.

I am not really looking forward to it at all, I already have head tracking and I like to be able to see my buttons and switches but I do think it is a giant leap forward in technology and I welcome that.
  14. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    I just ask myself considering the fact that a lot of facebook stock is part of the deal, where will the focus really be going now! And will the inventor still have the same passion for it now that he already has the money!
  15. Barry

Barry Active Member

Web Developer
    Balance:
    3,877Coins
    Ratings:
    +251 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I'm hoping they still have the same enthusiasm and drive and that facebook don't try to disrupt that in any way. From what i've read Oculus will still be a seperate entity but facebook will fund the development of it.

Surely the end consumer unit will have some form of display where you can flick on an external camera and see what's happening around you if you need to lift a controller or turn a tv on or something like that. That would make sense wouldn't it?
  16. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    DK2 has a input for an external camera, so it is likely that the consumer version will to. Remember the plan has always been to develop more than just game applications for VR.
  17. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Pre orders for the Full HD Development kits are able now http://www.oculusvr.com/

Anyone already ordered it? I still hesitate...the V1 did not convinced me fully and the pixel grid is is still visible with the full hd version.
  18. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    @RaceRay : IMO as we already know that the final Occulus will be shortly available with better specs, I would wait few monthes... The Devlopment kit will be one step behind the final product, so it would cost twice the price if you buy it at the end and very few possibilities to resell it.

Plus, the Sony and Microsoft products are arriving, it will be nice to compare before buying!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Roonster

Roonster Member

Balance:
    609Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I ordered a DK2 a few days ago before the buyout announcement. I'm on the fence now whether to still get it or cancel and see how things shake out.
  20. prodigy

prodigy Burning revs

Balance:
    6,698Coins
    Ratings:
    +399 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, AC motor, SCN5, JRK
    You will probably get what you ordered, I'm not sure if they can change anything now when orders for DK2 have already started. Maybe there is something in 'Terms and conditions' regarding changes after an order is made. I mean, if you get something else that wasn't stated in your order or item description, you could probably ask for full refund.