1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom Obutto Ozone 2DOF to 3DOF simulator conversion

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by scalhoun, Jun 25, 2014.

1. scalhoun

scalhoun Active Member

Software Engineer
    Balance:
    968Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    @Nick Moxley do you still happen to have the link on hand that shows you what pins to connect for your server power supplies. I have the HP 380's which I think it similar to what you have. I need to start a notepad with all these links, so much good info scattered around that I need to put into one area.
  2. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    This is the one i used,

https://sites.google.com/site/tjinguytech/my-projects/HP47A

IMO the Pot for adjusting voltage doesn't suite our purpose, Or Better yet these PS's dont seem to like being higher than the normal Voltage without risking Shut down's from Large Shunts like in a Crash of off track experience.

Does your's have the Pins or the Flat Circuit board style ?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. scalhoun

scalhoun Active Member

Software Engineer
    Balance:
    968Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    @bsft
    How does your compact office chair mover differ from your standard shoulder mounted chair mover as far as how it feels and speed?
  4. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks @eaorobbie for the link
    @scalhoun , taking into account the different distance between pivots and motors, I did use the same lever length of 40mm CTC on 25:1 boxes. Virtually no difference. although the desk racer has more surge angle than sway, while the shoulder mount is fairly even, and after 14 builds, I cannot really notice a difference. Its the same for me. The desk racer is an excellent compact design with maybe 2-4% less tactile than shoulder mount. Although, wind up the profiles more and it would be the same.
  6. scalhoun

scalhoun Active Member

Software Engineer
    Balance:
    968Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    @Nick Moxley Did you have any trouble with those server power supplies tripping? I hooked up my jrk's last night and was in the config utility. After I setup the settings and had the motor plugged in I clicked run motor in the utility and it quickly tripped my power and fried something. Jrk smoked and now is erratic and smokes if I plug it in. Trying to figure out what caused that weird issue before I hookup another jrk.
  7. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Sounds like the polarity is wrong , about the only way to smoke a Jrk.
    Please test with a meter to make sure you have a 12v+ going to the Vin on the Jrk plus a good ground too.
  8. scalhoun

scalhoun Active Member

Software Engineer
    Balance:
    968Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Ok might be due to lack of sleep but I'm currently stuck getting the settings for min and max set on the motor. Here is a quick video of what I'm working through.

9. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ok this can simply tested in the motor tab of the Jrk and do a "Detect Direction"
    Plus before setting min max make sure you clear the previous settings by pressing " Reset to full range" then apply settings to device a then set min and max make sure apply setting to device before moving on to detect direction.
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. scalhoun

scalhoun Active Member

Software Engineer
    Balance:
    968Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Is max my high point and min my low point or vice versa?
  11. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Doesn't really matter , because after hitting detect direction it will either tell you that it has inverted the motor and press apply settings to device, or come back with nothing which means all settings are correct.
    Then when testing in game and force like Roll is moving in the wrong direction then you can simply invert the axis setting for roll.

Another little test you can do to make sure you have the pot the right way around is to , reset the feedback to full range and apply settings and then move the lever manually by hand and check the graph , you will see exactly what the pot is doing and should see a smooth graph being produced. Again this too can be done to check that the graph max's when the lever is at max and mins when the lever is at min.

Most people make the error of not applying setting to device after changing values. When you adjust a setting always apply them.
  12. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK

Ive had a few shut down's in BIG Crashes where i have the main Level up to or near 100%. The only other time i had the PS's shut down would be when i was playing with the Pots to adjust the output voltage which didn't work very well So i removed the pots and haven't had a shut down in a while now. (I know 100% is overkill most of the time)

Did you figure out what was wrong ?
  13. scalhoun

scalhoun Active Member

Software Engineer
    Balance:
    968Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I have one side working, but still working out a replacement JRK board. I noticed that with the arduino most ppl just pickup a dual motor driver board to go alongside it. Is it possible to hookup the JRK to an external motor driver? Everything but the motor driver seems to be working on the board.
  14. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ok there may be an option, back in '09 I first drove the jrks with a serial RC controller , made for controlling RC Servos from a serial port on the PC, Good Fun!!
    Ok so it sound like you fried the PIC on them or as I have done in the past once fried the USB earth trace which because of size I couldn't find. But Pololu does advertise that they are reverse voltage protected, only one catch with a usb lead connect and earthed to a pc port or hub , they will fail, talk possible warranty or maybe a discount or if you can get a PC RC controller , many cheap ones around it might be worth a shot.
    Sorry to here about.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. scalhoun

scalhoun Active Member

Software Engineer
    Balance:
    968Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I'm working on a JRK replacement or discount. One interesting question they asked was: "Is there some reason you think using a heatsink is necessary?" They wanted to know if it could have caused a short. Will these boards run ok without one?

Now I like to tinker and know of plenty of uses for spare boards so I was considering playing around with the arduino uno setup or something like it while I'm waiting for a replacement. I figured I could add a display board later with it. Any recommendations for what all I need for that setup and/or a wiring diagram?

I'm mainly confused as to what boards I need to run along side it for the motors.
  16. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes they need a heatsink, we run them ridiculously hard and they survive. Put a heatsink on the big chip and keep it a bit away from the capacitors. without a heatsink, they will thermally shut down.
    Oh and when you speak to Pololu, just say it was getting a bit warm.
    There is a link somewhere for a dash board...... http://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/tm1638-multiply-page-display-with-gamedash.5003/
    I am not sure what you mean by being confused as to what boards you need along side the motors. Its one JRK per motor, usb cable, pot wires, power in , power out. Thats it.
    People still get confused that such a little board can do so much.
    Yes they cost a bit, but the simplicity of them and performance is outstanding.
    And yes I have nuked at least 5 JRKS in my time. Thats out of the 20 something I have bought over 3 years.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. scalhoun

scalhoun Active Member

Software Engineer
    Balance:
    968Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
  18. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    1. Yes its a clone UNO, but fine.
    2. No not strong enough.
  19. scalhoun

scalhoun Active Member

Software Engineer
    Balance:
    968Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Ok finally got the JRK worked out. They shipped a new one out today for 50%.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. scalhoun

scalhoun Active Member

Software Engineer
    Balance:
    968Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Ok it's been a while. I have totally reconfigured my setup and have the first version almost complete.

So first thing was first. I had to cut down my pivot for seat mover height

IMG_2036.JPG
    IMG_2039.JPG

Then I started mocking up with some wood.

IMG_2040.JPG IMG_2041.JPG IMG_2042.JPG IMG_2043.JPG IMG_2044.JPG IMG_2045.JPG IMG_2046.JPG

At this point my wife has cut all spending on me so we are going to get creative for our prototype

IMG_2046.JPG IMG_2047.JPG IMG_2048.JPG IMG_2049.JPG IMG_2050.JPG

Started mocking up my addons

IMG_2054.JPG IMG_2055.JPG IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2063.JPG IMG_2064.JPG IMG_2065.JPG IMG_2066.JPG IMG_2068.JPG IMG_2069.JPG IMG_2070.JPG IMG_2071.JPG IMG_2072.JPG IMG_2073.JPG IMG_2074.JPG IMG_2075.JPG

And this is where I am now

IMG_2076.JPG

Now I'm waiting on mounting hardware so I can build an enclosure for the jrks/fans/and hide all the wires. For now I'm using a big box fan on turbo behind the unit to keep it nice and cool.

This build so far has used all the parts from an Obutto Ozone except for the seat base. All shifter and keyboard mounts where used.

A big thanks to the community for making this possible! :)