1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Newbie - Can seem to get FlyPt to move...

Discussion in 'FlyPt Mover' started by theDAMguru, Aug 22, 2022.

1. theDAMguru

theDAMguru New Member

Balance:
    66Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hello,
    So I am a newbie and am doing some testing with a some Servo motors and a 2HSS86 driver + Ardunio Uno. I have a test script that was able to move the motors on their own, so I have confirmed the wiring is working and drivers are setup correctly. But when I boot up FlyPT, I can connect to the COM port but no matter what i do, I cant get the servo to move. Its powered and energized but I cant seem to figure out how to get some test data for it to move around. I setup a loop and it seems be sending data over. I have utilized the sketches and wiring from "Lebois Racing" site.... using the 2 actuator sketch at the moment. I am guessing I am missing something in the communication setup via serial. If someon ecan help that would be great ;)
  2. GWiz

GWiz Active Member

Dentist
    Balance:
    1,453Coins
    Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    There's a good chance that you will have a setting in the 'Output :: Serial' section of FlyPT Mover incorrectly configured. First thing to check is that the Serial speed in FlyPT is set to the same speed within your arduino sketch. The second most likely culprit is the Output string sending the data in a format that the arduino sketch is not expecting. The third grey box from the bottom of the serial tab should show some numbers changing in time with your loop, if these are 3 digits rather than 2 or don't end with a special character for example, the arduino sketch may not recognise them or may reject them as garbage, depends what it is expecting to see though.

If you're still struggling, upload or link your arduino code along with a screenshot of your FlyPT settings and we may be able to work out the specific problem.
  3. theDAMguru

theDAMguru New Member

Balance:
    66Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    so I checked all that....I am actually using these examples for setup and arduino sketch

lebois-racing.fr/srt100-actuators-code

I am using the 2 actuator setup for both.

Sorry I wanted to attach the sketch and move setup file but this forum doesnt allow it..

Let me know if that reference works...appreciate your help
  4. GWiz

GWiz Active Member

Dentist
    Balance:
    1,453Coins
    Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    The lebois-racing.fr/srt100-actuators-code gives both the arduino code and FlyPT setup files, so there shouldn't be any issue here. If you can get the motors to move on their own using a similar test script with the same wiring, it must be something else.

If you setup a loop in FlyPT, it will only connect if you tick the loop as a source in the Pose from Motion tab.

The 'Rig ::Linear 2DOF' Actuator 1 and 2 position tests will only work to manually move the motors if you first untick the Pose :: From Motion on the right hand side.

The Output :: Serial tab should show the numbers changing with either the loop running or manually moving the actuator sliders. These are the values being sent to the arduino.

Definitely selected the correct COM port for your Arduino?
  5. theDAMguru

theDAMguru New Member

Balance:
    66Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    So the COM port is correct....when I connect for the first time the motor moves a bit...and not consistent. I then turn on the loop and I can see numbers moving in the debug window of the serial output. Its almost like the communication isnt correct....the sketch is at 921600 speed could it be the data bits ? or start, output and stop strings ?

Attached Files:

6. GWiz

GWiz Active Member

Dentist
    Balance:
    1,453Coins
    Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    You could try reducing the Serial speed to 57600 in both Mover and the arduino sketch to check if there is an EMI issue stopping the motors moving correctly.
  7. theDAMguru

theDAMguru New Member

Balance:
    66Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    ok Ill give that a try. thank u
  8. theDAMguru

theDAMguru New Member

Balance:
    66Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    so I am able to connect...but when I try to move the slider, the motor is very rough....
    I have 2 of them hooked up and I actually can move both but one moves more rough than the other...They are both not smooth...both drivers are set for 3200 steps.....am I missing something in the setup ?
  9. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,609Coins
    Ratings:
    +361 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi @theDAMguru :
    For a smooth run of the motors you should use filters in flypt mover. For the absolute beginning and testing with the slider you can simply use emalp 200 for example. The lp in emalp means, the lower frequencys can pass to your sim. The high frequencys that sometimes can feel rough (specially with the slider) , are filtered out.
    Learning the usage of filters is quite important an you will find a lot of information here about filters. I can highly recommend the posts from @Dirty for this topic!
    Wickie
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. theDAMguru

theDAMguru New Member

Balance:
    66Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    ok thanks you....I will look into it...I also found that the hosted ardunio script I was using had a very quick
    pulse and direction delay, which caused the major problem out of the gate...right now I have set them higher

#define pulseDelay 153
    #define directionDelay 306*

Is their a way / practice to tune these numbers better ?
  11. David Gillett

David Gillett New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    56Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    @theDAMguru. Can I ask you what hosted Arduino script you’re referring to. I have everything else working and tested the motors using the smc3 utility that works with simtools but prefer to use FlyPT mover if possible. I followed the serial setup for axis1 and axis2 but don’t know if there is a specific Arduino code for FlyPT.
    Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2022
  12. theDAMguru

theDAMguru New Member

Balance:
    66Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hello David, are you running Stepper Motors ? Cause I am not using typical AC ones
  13. David Gillett

Balance:
    56Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Yes. I’m using a couple of 24volt wheelchair motors. My question actually is if your output from FlyPT mover is connected directly through a serial connection to your Arduino and motor drivers. If so was there a generic Arduino code recommended for FlyPT mover that I missed somewhere in the setup instructions. I was able to test my motor setup with the SMC3 utility which comes with an INO file but I didn’t think that would work with FlyPT mover.

thanks for responding.
    DG
  14. theDAMguru

theDAMguru New Member

Balance:
    66Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    its not so much generic....you probably just need to figure out the syntax to talk to it from Flypt

this is the code I used

https://lebois-racing.fr/srt100-actuators-code

but I am using hbs86 closed looped drivers....I am guessing your drivers are different
  15. David Gillett

Balance:
    56Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Got it working. Thanks.