1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

new to sim

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Tendonitus, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Albertus

Albertus New Member

Manager
    Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    This Helped allot as I am also in the process to build my own 2 DOF racing simulator. I also have problem to choose best but cheapest motors for mine. Can car wiper motors being used?

Thank You

Albertus Geyser
  2. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi Albertus!
    Cheapest is car or truck wiper motors (but certainly not the strongest like motiondynamics often used as well).
    Have a look to the link in my signature.
    Yours
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  3. Albertus

Albertus New Member

Manager
    Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Thank You RacingMat!

Is truck wiper motors stronger than car? This
    my first time to try and build the motion simulator thing and would appreciate it if you could guide me to get mine started. I was thinking to use car wiper motors with arduino board and monster motor board.

Could you also give me some info how to get addons for games like Dirt3 as I enjoy the game! I tried to download addons, but download button does not allow me to download.

Just another question: Is the software totally free to use?

Thank You

Albertus Geyser
  4. Tendonitus

Tendonitus Semper Fi

Business Owner
    Balance:
    1,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Rob,

Do you have any experience with these server PS http://www.ebay.com/itm/281280838077?_trksid=p2055120.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT.

and will the JRK 12v12 handle them
  5. Tendonitus

Tendonitus Semper Fi

Business Owner
    Balance:
    1,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Received my JRK's in yesterday and the G27 Friday. Now searching for a PS. Motors should be here in 2 weeks. Pivot from an old race car steering assembly in hand.
    Our racing season started this weekend , a 2 day show, escaped with no damage and that will make this a short work week for this upcoming weekends 2 day show. Hopeful to find the time to get started on cutting and welding the frame this week.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Tendonitus , ask @Historiker as he has used the server PSU. I dont use them because the back surge of current going out of the motors. I use a more expensive PSU, but people seem to be having success with server PSU.
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Albertus , simtools is free to use, no offline key needed, just download and off you go.
    Wipers are ok for a start if you get them cheap, but remember, they need to be earth isolated and the gears tend to chew out as they are softer than motion dynamics or ebay crabmill motors.
    Not to mention they only run at 50-60 rpm, bigger motors run at 140-180 rpm.
  8. Tendonitus

Tendonitus Semper Fi

Business Owner
    Balance:
    1,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
  9. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Yep should not be an issue , jrks will operate in a range of 12v - 16v. Im running mine at 13.8v (Std Car Battery).

Yes wipers do work, you need to remove the ground from the wiper body, some you dont need to do this, the only way is to test motor on a battery (Powersupply) and use a mutimeter to check if the body or any part of the motor produces 12v when the 12v positive is connected to the Ground wire. This is how we reverse a dc motors direction. If ground is not isolated you will run the risk of destroying anything on your sim by feeding 12v into their grounds, can be a costly exercise if you get it wrong another issue is sometimes wipers dont go the same speed forwards as backwards leading to an uneven movement in the sim this also can be fixed
    Lastly they tend to be a little slow , but to get your feet wet and get simming they are not bad if you check them properly.
    24V motors are stronger than 12v but this becomes fairly equal once you run a 24v motor with 12v. I would only by 24v motors if I had plans to upgrade the controller later to use 24v. Plus the other con is for example if you had a 24v motor running at 80rpm and 18Nm once run down at 12v the speed and torque both go down to less than half. So I would only use 24v if you plan to use a 24v controller at the start or plan to upgrade later. To me I look for a balance of speed to output torque.
  10. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Would love if you can post in details or simply wite up or video even pictures from you race nights , I grew up in country speedway, and miss it badly. Post in our off topic section, be cool.
  11. Tendonitus

Tendonitus Semper Fi

Business Owner
    Balance:
    1,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Will do, we normally upload to you tube. I'll post a link to our last race in November as we did not get video this weekend and did not make the A main show.

Thanks for the info, spoke with @Historiker also and he has had success with these power supplies and is using one to run both of his winch motors. At this price, I'll run one to each motor.
  12. Albertus

Albertus New Member

Manager
    Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Thank you for all the info guys! Another question i have is how do you download addons for other games?
    I tried to download but link does not allow to download for instance Dirt3 Addon.
    Could someone shed some light?

Thank You
    Albertus Geyser
  13. Albertus

Albertus New Member

Manager
    Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Would like to know if its better to make sim where screen is moving with or where it only in front of you?
  14. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,509Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    When you're logged in you should be able to download plugins from the resources page: http://www.xsimulator.net/simtools-motion-simulator-software/ (scroll down to More than 50 Plugins available) or here: http://www.xsimulator.net/community/marketplace/categories/downloads.1/?order=download_count
    When you're logged in the "Download Now" button should be shiny red and enabled
    Dirt3.PNG

If it looks greyed-out like this, you have to log in first:
    Dirt3 disabled.PNG
  15. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    personal choice, but generally screen moving with you is better for flight , and screen static better for race as your eyes tend to stay on a point on horizon.
    Unless you set up projectors like @value1 , you cna eventually damage LCD monitors with vibrations.
  16. Albertus

Albertus New Member

Manager
    Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Thank You @bsft what would you recommend regarding screen for roller coaster simulator?
  17. Albertus

Albertus New Member

Manager
    Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Can someone give me some information about "Game Feedback Telemetry" as i understand from google its exactly what game sends to xsimulator to make these simulators possible. Any idea how it works and how one can read the data from game?

Thank You

Albertus Geyser
  18. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    no limits rollercoaster, look up the plug in in resources
  19. Tendonitus

Tendonitus Semper Fi

Business Owner
    Balance:
    1,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    psu came in yesterday from ebay, 2 @ 575 watts for $25. Off to locally computer repair shop to pick up plugs and see if he has a connection spade for the output.
  20. Tendonitus

Tendonitus Semper Fi

Business Owner
    Balance:
    1,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I ran a load test on the 2 server psu's this weekend (hooked to an older winch motor I had laying around). Volts stayed constant at 12.7 on one and 12.5 on the other.
    Motors have made it across the border and to San Fransisco , so I should have by the end of this week. Will put them under a load test also and see what results I get in volts and motor torque.