1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

New to Motion machines :D hope you can help

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by 757, Jun 20, 2011.

1. 757

757 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well, Did not know where to post but here it goes....

First background on my-self

I used to work for a company that repaired video games..... like Pacman, Tron, Tetris you get the point

I really want to do this project because I think it would challenge me.

I weigh 295-300 depending on what I ate today :D (I swear I was food in a past life)
    What does 2 DOF VS 6 DOF really have to offer motion wise. and Is it really needed (Live for Speed fan :D)
    And is there an instructional video or manual to get a newb headed in the right direction...
    I am building this chair for live for speed as mentioned in the DOF question

What Im trying to say is where should I start and what would you suggest for a person of my size and weight

Looking forward to your replies
    Thanks
    Jason

PS... Also really good with mechanics and computer hardware/software function
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Even I do not know where to find that file! How about a link! I just spent 1/2 an hour looking for the file....where is it?
  3. bleco

bleco Member Gold Contributor

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
  4. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
  5. 757

757 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have decided to do a platform style seat... I have looked at wiper motors online and I am wondering if the standard size and strength wiper motor would be adequate for a 300 lbs person... I did see some online that are higher amperage and there for I assume would provide more torque ...
  6. bleco

bleco Member Gold Contributor

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    You are right, not very convenient ...

Bleco
  7. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Im not real confident with wiper myself my sims around 150lbs + me at 188lbs but supports its cg nicely so not much force is needed to move the unit, but in turn when it rolls for one extreme to the other quickly there is alot of force built up it the moment and it just destroyed my wipers internal gears, being made of plastic didnt help.
    Hence why i went down the path of using 12v boat winches which are all steel with bearing supports on all shafts - super strong i feel and can move alot of weight (Aldoz surprised me on how strong they are).
    Another thing to consider is the type of controller you are going to use, build the amc with h bridge if you want to use motors that require higher amps than 25 amps, I used the jrks which will put out 12 amps continous (30 Amps of peek but not for long before shutting down to heat). So really if ya sims going to be a little heavy ya really need to get your balance of the machine right then again depending on controller and power units will depend on motor size.
    Also to note is speed of motor because from some of my finding i found that some of the higher Watt motor just turned to slowly.
    Sorry if i confussed ya a bit but what you need to do is find the balance of what ya need.

Just to add i recommend ya build a 2dof seat rocker, motors only move the chair not your whole weight plus sims. And once ya confident with setting up xsim and ya controller progress on 3 or 6 DOF recommending that ya follow the ac path for this as it has a lot more power to provide the lift and roll ya will need for a heavy sim.
    Welcome to the diy world of sims.
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks eaorrobbie for the links, I could not find them!

Welcome 757, feel free to bug us as we will help how we can.

Cheers, David.
  9. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    I changed it, look here http://www.x-simulator.de
  10. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Fantastic! Love your work!
  11. 757

757 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Boat winches you say..... Do you loose spend response with them... and I assume you need some kind of a pully system to get the correct movement ?
  12. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    nah mate no real speed is lost, was alittle slow to start but after some adjustment in pololu config program i got them running just as fast as a wiper.
    With a single turn pot on levers was a little slow.

gallery/image_page.php?album_id=92&image_id=348

Now with a geared driven multi turn pot, Im now happy, Aldoz copied same motoe setup for his 3dof unit.

gallery/image_page.php?album_id=92&image_id=353

gallery/image_page.php?album_id=92&image_id=354

Check my photo gallery out mate.
    Aldoz 3dof unit.
    my-3dof-project-is-born-t3096.html
  13. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hi all and Hi eaorobbie,
    I think that the eaorobbie idea about the use of a winch motor is like a revolution in the DIY moving system world .
    Sure you can start to think to have true force for your project.
    A wiper motor must be use with some decent (and with many works for build it) pulley system to emeanate decent power. Thanos and other guys here show us they capability and talent making amazing 2DOF system with good speed too using wiper motors and pulleys.
    With the winch you have the gears system that raise the 12v little motor power to really good level. A level that permit you to do 2dof - 3dof system without using of pulley. (of course no one will prevent you from using pulleys with the winches motor If your project involves the use of pulleys).

As eaorobbie tell to you, the winch motor speed is pretty good and if you would to obtain more platform inclination speed so you could to use more lenght leg junction metal bracket (the component that joint the motor gear to the platform leg).
  14. 757

757 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have acquired from my previous job a machine that contains 2 decent sized hydro pumps ...
    Anyone have any luck with that??

Thanks again u have all been very helpful