1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

NEW PRO HARDWARE SYSTEM FOR MOTORS!! READ!!

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by racerg, Jun 30, 2012.

1. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So there is no project yet then?? Cool!!
  2. racerg

racerg Going too fast... SimAxe Beta Tester Gold Contributor

Sound designer for Olympics. Electronic engineer,
    Balance:
    - 34Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Motion platform
    Hi Tronicgr:

No...that is NOT the situation! My partner, Bill, who wrote that last post, was referring to production prototypes...which we are waiting for.

We have tested, much as you have, on early prototypes and as you know, doing a project such as this is not rocket science.

I have been working with X-Sim for more than a year now, and understand the project at hand very well.

A bit about me (us):

As Bill indicated, we are professional software/hardware guys, and have done embedded development such as this for a combined time of more than 50 years (I am 62...).

Work in the field of Motorsports racing, includes a lot of sim and non-sim work, including work with Formula 1 electronic systems, IndyCar systems, as well as very sophisticated race track safety systems...see: http://www.trackmarshall.com/home

In addition, if you google: Gary Hardesty Olympics, you can see my day job!

I posted info about our new system for DIY sim, EARLY, because we want feedback as we progress toward releasing the product.

Your post seemed a bit negative...please, if that was the intent, don't do that...we simply are excited about our project and are trying to get info out as quick as we can.

Thanks,

Gary
  3. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hi Gary,
    Pretty impressive stats..........end of conversation about your credentials!
    cthiggin
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well then fellas, hopefully we have given you enough info to infitrate the market then.
    Go forth and design, but remember, there is some already good boards out there.
    Being the Tronic card and the new 1.6 and its adaptability and the fact it can accommodate several aftermarket h-bridges and the Pololu JRK 12v12, being plain easy to hook up , but restrictive in its motors it can run. (12-15 volts).
  5. racerg

Balance:
    - 34Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi bsft:

Thanks for the reply!

I guess I want to make sure everyone understands our intent...

I posted about my credentials to try and say, 'hey, we can do this!!'... NOT for any ego reason at all...

We don't want to infiltrate the market...we are also DIY sim hobby guys and were frustrated by the products out there NOT doing all we wanted, so, we just thought, 'why not make something more complete, and we can all have a better choice and a more dedicated choice'.

So, we will have another option for everyone, one that I hope is more complete and ready to go, and can do other things as well...

We are not trying to get rich, we just want to introduce some things i feel will make things more interesting and i hope easier...that's all...

-Gary
  6. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Sounds like a good plan to me. Go for it. Thanks so much.
    cthiggin
  7. kubing

kubing Member

teacher, Industrial electronic programmer
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    can you post any development photo ?
  8. racerg

Balance:
    - 34Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Kubing:

When I get the next version of circuit board back, I will post and will soon post a block diagram and detail feature list as well.

I have to do a large show for the next couple of days (4th of July pyro show) and will get back soon. It's a bit slow here in America now, this is big Holiday week.

-Gary
  9. racerg

Balance:
    - 34Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi everyone:

Before I leave to do my show, a few of the features on the board:

1) LCD display for status, etc.

2) 3 DOF, on board motor controllers. High current, will see about making it work on 12/24 volts, should be easy.

3) On board D/A to output +/- 5 volt or +/- 10 volt to control a VFD, etc.

4) On board connecter for external motor controller.

5) Standard USB interface.

6) Programming port.

7) Break-out connectors for most of the processor I/O, for user added options.

8) You can program it in the Arduino language, or ??... Your choice.

9) Drivers for X-Sim and working code/user interface.

-Gary
  10. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So we are talking for price range of $500+ then? Or? Based on the features you mention, even if mass produced, it could be expensive!
  11. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -0
    Gary:

I am fer from mexico, for years i had seen this forum, willing to construct a simple race sim, but i have not a clue in electronics, your project seams grate!!!, just please consider one thing:

- people willing to do diy stuff some times whants the fun of doing the prject, and also, save a little money :D:D:D please consider a cheap price... maybe a ultra simple option using the wiper motors as a entrey level edition. there are some guys in www.simexperince.com that sells a electronic kit for as low of $2,000 usdlls... mmm you can buy a old real car for that amount of money.

please conder the price
  12. racerg

Balance:
    - 34Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi:

Regarding pricing: We will make it as affordable as we possibly can... Price is directly related to quantity built... So, the more we can sell...the lower the cost.

We have not put a price model together yet...software, of course, will be our donation to the project.

Tronicgr: to your post, i don't think price will be that high...

-Gary
  13. kubing

kubing Member

Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    usb VID license for commercial is not cheap. play with usb mean you serious about mass production. cant wait to see you prototype development. :yes:
  14. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,957 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    But don´t forget that the kits include the software, the expensive SCN actuators, the plug and play interfaces and the framekit.
    There is a starterkit which includes only the actuators and interfaces which is much cheaper.

Having said this, it would be difficult to establish a new motion controller for DC motors if the costs are too high and if it should not be a ready-out-of-the box system...but as i said earlier as long as there will be no support by a motion engine software all the work is useless for a DIY motion simulator.
  15. jyrki.j.koivisto

jyrki.j.koivisto New Member

Balance:
    314Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    VID costs only some 1000$, even I have thought of getting one for myself as I have some sort ideas for different products that I could sell.

If one buys a VID then the same VID can be used for different products, only PID needs to change and not necessarily even that, it all depends on how one writes the driver for the product .

When using controller from Microchip you could apply to use their VID and they grant you one PID, but after some number of sold units you have to get your own.

For my 3DOF I'm planning on using pic32 and WiFi module, but I'd really need to get the mechanical aspect of my actuators done before that.
  16. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Standard USB means using a USB to Serial adapter chip. Probably with the Prolific 2303 as its the cheapest around...

The ATMega 2560 microcontroller does not directly support USB, thus no custom VID either. Just a virtual COM port.
  17. fooons

fooons New Member

Técnico Sistemas Informáticos
    Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, you also could use an Arduino Leonardo board, it has a new USB routines built.

This info is from official web:

The Arduino Leonardo is a microcontroller board based on the ATmega32u4. It has 20 digital input/output pins (of which 7 can be used as PWM outputs and 12 as analog inputs), a 16 MHz crystal oscillator, a micro USB connection, a power jack, an ICSP header, and a reset button. It contains everything needed to support the microcontroller; simply connect it to a computer with a USB cable or power it with a AC-to-DC adapter or battery to get started.
    The Leonardo differs from all preceding boards in that the ATmega32u4 has built-in USB communication, eliminating the need for a secondary processor. This allows the Leonardo to appear to a connected computer as a mouse and keyboard, in addition to a virtual (CDC) serial / COM port. It also has other implications for the behavior of the board; these are detailed on the getting started page.
    Summary
    Microcontroller ATmega32u4
    Operating Voltage 5V
    Input Voltage (recommended) 7-12V
    Input Voltage (limits) 6-20V
    Digital I/O Pins 20
    PWM Channels 7
    Analog Input Channels 12
    DC Current per I/O Pin 40 mA
    DC Current for 3.3V Pin 50 mA
    Flash Memory 32 KB (ATmega32u4) of which 4 KB used by bootloader
    SRAM 2.5 KB (ATmega32u4)
    EEPROM 1 KB (ATmega32u4)
    Clock Speed 16 MHz

Power
    The Arduino Leonardo can be powered via the micro USB connection or with an external power supply. The power source is selected automatically.
  18. kubing

kubing Member

Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    first post you decide to use arduino compitable ( normally atmel chip ). and now you decide to choose pic32 due to free VID grant. the big difference in code structure. unless you decide to use chipkit board from digilentinc.
  19. racerg

Balance:
    - 34Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Guys:
    Thanks for all the great comments.

I don't think we need to turn this thread into a detail discussion of USB...OK? Suffice it to say that my project will include a USB interface.

Kubing said:

first post you decide to use arduino compitable ( normally atmel chip ). and now you decide to choose pic32 due to free VID grant. the big difference in code structure. unless you decide to use chipkit board from digilentinc....

So you guys are not confused by all the recent comments, my chip IS from the Atmel family and IS Arduino compatible. I choose Arduino because of all the interest here in the simple language.

-Gary
  20. racerg

Balance:
    - 34Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Everyone:

I could use your help...

This is a bit of a survey to help me get the best product for you...

Please tell me WHICH motor controller you think is best, and in simple terms, why?

Do you want a controller that can control only 12 volt motors, or 12 and 24 volt, or?

How much current?

Is 3 DOF enough?

Is the Ardunio language of interest to program, or?

Thanks, this will help a lot!

-Gary