1. Hundreds of coffees, endless nights of debugging and coding, and countless feedback by our beta testers led to this new major release. SimTools 2.4 is probably the version with the most upgrades and improvements in a single release ever. Look at everything Dustin has included:
    SimTools 2.4 all features.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

News New output possibilities for DCS

Discussion in 'Digital Combat Simulators (DCS)' started by RiftFlyer, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    2,018Coins
    Ratings:
    +194 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I too intend to add a fan setup to my simulator, especially now that I plan to buy the I-16 module next month which is open cockpit! I'm pretty excited for that one. [​IMG]

Way back when I first got my 6DOF sim moving I had a regular big box fan set up in front of the sim blowing wind in my face while I was flying an open cockpit biplane in P3D and I was surprised at how much it added. I tried it thinking it was a silly idea but it really was immersive.

@Zed Could you tell me how much you paid for the kit? PM me if it's inappropriate to post it here. Depending on price I might buy from him instead of getting everything separately. I want that to be a quick project so I can move on to the G-seat!
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
  2. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Vive

Balance:
    4,418Coins
    Ratings:
    +762 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Hey Trip, I don't find the e-mail trail and it's been a couple of years so I wouldn't want to give you the wrong number. I also traded some NIXIE tubes as part of the deal. He does have a thread about them on isrtv (https://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/23623-complete-wind-simulators-and-kitsets-for-sale/) though. There is a last post from 3/10/19 asking if he is still making them with no reply as of yet. Not sure if he is still making them or not but they are well done. But also, everything is out there to just duplicate the design if he's not still making them or if you'd just rather build it yourself. When I bought it I was just looking at motion and effects and hadn't been exposed to it before. Once I worked through and even modified the code, it was no problem. Here's the build log: https://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/23039-my-diy-wind-simulator/
  3. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    2,018Coins
    Ratings:
    +194 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Thanks Zed. If he doesn't turn up (or if the kit is more than I'd be willing to pay) I'll make them myself. I just don't want it to take too big a chunk out of my hobby time, the G-seat build is where I want that to go when summer is over.
  4. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Staff Member Moderator Gold Contributor

Teacher/Cabinet Maker
    Balance:
    9,556Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 12 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    The diy wind simulator is pretty easy to build, from cheap materials
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    2,018Coins
    Ratings:
    +194 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    So the 180 wouldn't be needed if we were using yaw rotational velocity/acceleration instead of Yaw Euler angle right?

On that topic... well this probably isn't the place to discuss it but in the other thread... but based on the "gravity does not exist" conversation that I found very enlightening the "1" here highlights the one thing I'm sure I don't understand about the no-Euler-Angles method I want to see implemented.

We need that -1 for gravity to give us our lateral acceleration cue when flying at high bank angles in a straight line (airshow type aerobatics, aileron rolls, four point rolls, etc.) which would roll the cockpit to simulate "gravity". But then what do we do about the -1 causing the heave axis to constantly sit at a different position from center travel when flying straight and level without messing up the same 1G accleration that we want for the situation I described above?

I'm planning to add a fan (or fans) myself, especially for the I-16!

Trip

PS- About the extra outputs (gamedash and gamevibe): I hate to say it since my budget is super tight but this is actually a good solution. If people want more than nine outputs, it's available but if they are running a DIY license (I am currently) they need a paid version of SimTools to get the extra telemetry outputs which helps with development costs etc. I'm always very conflicted when I think about buying a paid version. I really want to give the money to support the project, but it would be a significant burden to my finances. One more thing to put on the credit cards won't hurt right? =D
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  6. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Vive

Balance:
    4,418Coins
    Ratings:
    +762 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Hey Trip. about adding that fan... (and that's not me ;))

[​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    2,018Coins
    Ratings:
    +194 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Haha! That's basically what I did the very first time I got to ride my motion sim. I was flying an open cockpit biplane so I set a fan up in front of me. I did it halfway as a joke but I was surprised it really did add to the experience.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Dirty

Dirty Active Member Gold Contributor

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    2,906Coins
    Ratings:
    +245 / 1 / -0
    Hey guys,

I have started a thread about an Experimental DCS plugin I have created with the generous help of @value1. Among other changes, it activates the three "Extra" slots to allow users to export any data they like :) Feel free to export "windiness" or any other parameter into SimTools for use in motion cueing. Just modifiy the Export.lua file that the plugin creates in the <Username>/SavedGames/DCS/Scripts folder.

Have fun :thumbs

Dirty :)
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    2,018Coins
    Ratings:
    +194 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hey guys, especially @Dirty @pmvcda @hexpod @BlazinH

I think I may have found something exciting for DCS helicopters. Looking through one of my old LUA's (I used to use BFF and SimShakerAviators) I found this, but only for helicopters:

--LoGetHelicopterFMData()
    -- return table with fm data
    --{
    --G_factor = {x,y,z } in cockpit
    --speed = {x,y,z} center of mass ,body axis
    --acceleration= {x,y,z} center of mass ,body axis
    --angular_speed= {x,y,z} rad/s
    --angular_acceleration= {x,y,z} rad/s^2
    --yaw radians
    --pitch radians
    --roll radians
    --}

To me that looks like it could have incredible potential. Can one of you guys try to get this "in cockpit G-Factor x,y,z" into SimTools or FlyPT? I would LOVE to play with that. Especially since helicopters are my first and truest love. =) I am having a ball with fixed wing aerobatic stuff though. Man that Yak-52 is a blast to play with!
    • Like Like x 2
  10. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    4,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +692 / 11 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF

Since I have the demo, there's no helicopters, so I don't get values.

Replace the code of acceleration in the script by this one and try when you can:
    Code:
        -- local acceleration = LoGetAccelerationUnits()
        local helidata  = LoGetHelicopterFMData()
        local acceleration = helidata.G_factor 
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    2,018Coins
    Ratings:
    +194 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    It works, and it's too soon to say but so far it feels great! Thanks!
    • Like Like x 2
  12. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    4,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +692 / 11 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Those G's should be what we feel in the cockpit (that's how I interpreted it).
  13. Dirty

Dirty Active Member Gold Contributor

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    2,906Coins
    Ratings:
    +245 / 1 / -0
    Yeah! That's how I'm reading it too :) Great! Unfortunately only for helos :)

btw. I have tested my module that converts the accelerations from CG-values to cockpit-values. Works, but I don't have it in .lua, only in my software.
  14. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    2,018Coins
    Ratings:
    +194 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I understood it the same way, that's why I was so excited! It would seem strange for there not to be an equivalent value in DCS for fixed wing so I thought maybe we could find it if we dig deep enough.

Someone pointed out a while back that if we could access what DCS World devs are using to animate pilots head movement due to G-forces that it would be great for driving motion sims. I was thinking about that when I saw this helicopter value.

I'm just about to get back to sim testing and experiments after a busy weekend with family. I've got a lot to do and I work slow but I'll report on whatever I find that might be helpful.