1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

News New OpenSimGear project!

Discussion in 'News' started by n!tro, Apr 15, 2024.

Tags:
  1. n!tro

n!tro New Member

Software Engineer
    Balance:
    83Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hello everybody,
    I just jumped into sim racing with my first rig that hasn't even been delivered yet and after extensive research on what to purchase and what I wanted I landed into this amazing forum.

tl;dr: Jump into https://opensimgear.org

I found a lot of useful information here and on the internet but it hasn't been a walk in the park, hours and hours of research. Also I realised that being a niche Hobby it is pretty expensive if you go the commercial route, this is why many amazing tinkerers are building their own rigs in here!

With all that I decided to start a huge project on my own called OpenSimGear, a fully open source ecosystem of knowledge, hardware/software products that you can build yourself.

The scope of the project is to:
    • provide an accessible wiki/docu of many topics regarding sim racing
      • motion theory
      • type of motion systems
      • calculators (for example Stewart platform kinematics, forces and ranges)
      • recommended parameters (min mm/s, min range)
    • provide an open source ecosystem of components (hardware/firmware):
      • hand brake
      • shifter
      • pedals
      • wheels
      • motion modules
      • wheel base?
      • aggregation module
    • Provide a config tool to configure all the components in a nice interface
    I am a software engineer so everything related to the website/wiki I can manage on my own. Then I will delve into the hardware (cnc/plasma cut pieces, electronics), firmware to develop the first components like the handbrake.
    If anybody wants to contribute feel free to get in touch, you find all the information in the website.
  2. n!tro

n!tro New Member

Software Engineer
    Balance:
    83Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1