1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

New member with some questions

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by marco balletta, Jul 11, 2018.

1. marco balletta

marco balletta Member

Balance:
    1,445Coins
    Ratings:
    +33 / 1 / -0
    Can you please suggest me an affordable racing chair?

Also, I was wondering are there force feedback adds on that you know of for sim racing rigs?

Also would the rig vibrate with the car motor sound ?

Would the rig move forward and backward when switching gear?

My wheel and pedals are from feelvr https://feelvr.game

I have no gear box

Also, do u know if there is a video online showing the balancing of the p3?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2018
  2. Andy Booth

Andy Booth Active Member

Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Marco,

I suspect that your choice of racing seat is very much dependent on what's available where you are. What you do need to think about is how the seat mounts to the frame. You need to make sure the seat attaches by 4 holes in the bottom of the seat at each corner. I don't have the dimensions to hand but you are likely to need to redrill the seat rails to mount seat runners, which then mounts to the seat.
    For me living in Malaysia, I just went to a local car accessory shop and they had a selection of seats, they all mounted the same way but the positioning of the mounting holes were slightly different. Both a friend of mine and I bought DofReality rigs together and the seat he chose mounted easily but my seat needed the seat frame to be re-drilled. But I drilled and slotted my seat frame pieces to provide side to side fine adjustment for balance purposes.

Force Feedback add ons?

Not quite sure what you mean. The motion software can be tailored to suit how you want the motion to feel. I have different setups for different types of car. F1 cars have very little motion with hardly any pitch and roll however what motion there is is very harsh as I expect driving in an F1 car to feel. I have other setups for softer sprung saloon cars with a lot more pitch and roll.
    Now I may be doing it all wrong because you are trying to simulate G Forces so thinking that way, high G Forces (cornering in an F1 car for example) would mean you want lots of movement in the rig. But to me it felt unreal and set it up the way I thought it felt good.
    The traction loss is very difficult to set up so it feels right and Ive had this rig for over a year and its still not right. I have just too much traction loss movement and to early. It means you feel like you are losing the back end long before you actually are. This results in me over correcting too early which seriously affects my lap times. I tend to be a lot quicker with the motion turned off, which I suppose defeats the point of having the motion rig.

Vibration

There is some level of vibration through the motion rig but not the buttkicker type vibration. The SimTools software now includes a plugin for vibration which is something I keep looking at but have not done anything about yet. Vibration just seems too expensive.
    However, as I said, the motion rig does provide some sense of fairly course vibration. For example, driving down the main straight of Mugello in a 1980's F1 car, I get my teeth and eyeballs rattled because that portion of the track is really rough. It's something I dont feel through the force feedback wheel.

Pitch
    Yes the rig does move forward and backwards due to acceleration or deceleration ut possibly not the way you would expect. Because of the way the motion works, the seat pivots on a universal joint under your seat so under acceleration the seat rotates up and back, pivoting at the joint, on deceleration, the opposite, forward and down. I think people try to simulate deceleration by having seat belts that are pulled tight during braking.

Andy