1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

New Here...selfmade simulator construction. Actuators needed

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Tom Theison, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Tom Theison

Tom Theison Member

Machinist
    Balance:
    69Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    ....and was'nt sure where to post this as my German is nearly non-existant. I didnt see any way to translate the whole site into english, sorry Moderators, please move this thread if its in the wrong sub menu, thanks.
    I am extremely interested in this software as I have built me a little motion cockpit on my own (link below). You may recognize it as its nearly an exact copy of a Frex simcon-motion cockpit. I do have an Ivibe incorporated into my seat, and was hoping Ivibe would release an update to be able to use the 5 expansion ports on the back of the Ivibe controller to allow use of a couple of electric actuators to power my cockpit up. I am strictly a racing sim addict with GTR2, and rFactor being my main sims right now. I downloaded the software and played around with it a little as a start. Looked over some of the help files and started to get aquainted with it. Like I said, my German reading is 0 so if anyone has done a translation of any of this I would be extremely gratefull for any help.
    Maybe some of you could help me and get me pointed in the right direction as far as what parts and stuff I will need to start learning about. Been reading through the forums here and already I see I am going to need a usb board then look into some pnuematics. I really am only looking to use two cylinders at the back of my seat. Then seeing if acceleration, braking, and steering input can be controlled simultaneously somehow.
    Thank you,
    Tom Theison (aka Tommy Trauma)

http://forum.rscnet.org/showpost.php?p= ... tcount=100
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Re: New Here...

Hi,

welcome to our forum!

Your cockpit looks great! We have another member in the forum who tries to build such a frame.
    http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/bilder- ... -t120.html
    Maybe you both could exchange some hints. Especially about the pivot point :mrgreen:
    His post is in the wrong thread as well ;) I hope you want to post your frame in our forum. But please in this section:
    http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/bilderg ... r-f20.html

Afaik BBEL had mentioned to implement support for pneumatic acuators, but not for electric ones!?

I'm new here as well. Because of that, there are some others here in the forum, who could help you with your x-sim softwarw related questions much better than I can.
    We are about to im implement support for electric actuators in the software. But it will take some time, still.

regards
  3. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    BTW

if you get an email with:

Eine neue Private Nachricht ist eingetroffen

then you have received a pm ;)
  4. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,842Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,969 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Hello Tom,

big nice welcome from me, too :D

We have translate the forum names. Now, you can navigate through in best german english u ever read. : :wink:

There are many possibiliities to control your - very nice looking - motion cockpit.

Here, u will find al the possible interfaces:
    http://www.x-simulator.de/de/hardware/hardware.html

The best solution is to use the USB Modules K8055D or better the selfmade USB interface

http://www.x-simulator.de/de/hardware/rnr-usb-interface-3.html[/code]

The much less solution is the conrad relais interface. Ready to build in, but soft-motion is missing. (soft motion is a kind of wash-out effect. The Actuators drive slowly back in a neutral position, so, that there is enough space for a new movement.)

regrads
    RaceRay
  5. thomas earl

thomas earl New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    im new too....

and im gonna need a whole lot of information.i do have some german in my language skills,its not what it used to be.
    lately it came to mind to build a race simulator.
    everywhere i looked on the net it seemed everyone is jacking arround to make it move.(as i'm in the states i never heard about the RnR).
    i remodeld the basement to make room for this apperatus.
    my tech skills are above avg.and know very well about contructing things.
    my only real problem is the usb interface.(in this area everything sounds jibberish to me).So i defenitly need some help there.
    now just a few questions to start it off.

1) where in the states can i get a couple of those usb interfaces?
    2)what kind of pneu valves do i need and how many?
    3)what size of cyllinders do i need and how many?

tom t
    i like your setup you are my insperation lol.
  6. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Re: im new too....

Hi Tom

Welcome!

Its quite difficult to say it with a few words.
    I think I'll better continue to translate the hp, instead of explaining every new member the whole setup ;)

Your questions:

1. which, there are different. A friend of mine will assemble some USB 1.3 interfaces. If you are interested > http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/group-o ... 3.html#913

2. How many valves you need depends the brand and model.

3. For a 2-axis simulator you'll need 2 cylinders. The size depends on the setup. For a RnR is 300mm and for a Frex-like setup is 100mm recommended.

We are quite busy with the electric actuators project in the moment, so be a little patient please.

regards

ps: please open a thread for your project; it hard to find threads that are started in another threads
  7. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,842Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,969 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    thread was moved...
  8. thomas earl

thomas earl New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  9. Tom Theison

Tom Theison Member

Machinist
    Balance:
    69Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Yeah, that setup is pretty nice. Thanks for the link.
  10. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Yes, its really interesting. But I dont think that its software supports common games. Maybe they have just an own arcade game for it. Dont know.

cheers