1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

New build, arduino, motomonster, 2dof

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by substatica, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    A tap from my Local Nut/Bolt supplier is also 6-10$, If you feel you need to spend 2-3X that for quality, Your sadly mistaken.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. substatica

substatica Member

Balance:
    882Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 1 / -0
    It's not so much about cost (though that in most cases plays a large part) it's more about quality and trust. Around here everything seems to be flooded with tools that will break after the first or second use and are manufactured to be disposable. I've purchased inexpensive tools that have lasted me -- many of my hand tools have been inherited or found, but lately, more often than not, without research or recommendation purchases result in a useless, broken or half-broken tool that ends up as landfill.
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have plenty of choice at hardware stores as well. Cheap to expensive.
    I have been lucky in that a cheap angle grinder $20, welder $99, hand saw and hand electric drill are sufficient.
    Theres a saying "a poor workman always blames his tools"
  4. substatica

substatica Member

Balance:
    882Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 1 / -0
    Ha, I know that one as "it's a poor musician who blames his instrument" ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Blame73

Blame73 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,255Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,106 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    I didn't use tap/die but drilled an hole.
    Result: one shaft broken
    I'm having it welded, hoping they can fix it :(
  6. substatica

substatica Member

Balance:
    882Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 1 / -0
    So this is where I'm at now, I was planning on welding the head of this bolt to the lever and attach the pot coupling to the other side. Sounding like the popular suggestion is that I should tap the bore and use threaded rod as a shaft with bolts holding it in place instead?

IMG_0777.JPG
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    A simple Pin like that will Not be sufficient. I tried Taping the gear housing with threads and using set screw's, and this is what happened after a really good jolt.

[​IMG]

here you can see the set screw's in place.

[​IMG]
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. substatica

substatica Member

Balance:
    882Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 1 / -0
    Hrm, at first there won't be much force on my build as it's for an infant. That being said, it would be good if it was solid enough for adult usage for down the road. If tapping the bore and set screws/pins isn't the way, what is?
  9. shannonb1

shannonb1 Well-Known Member

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor, Arduino, JRK, 4DOF
    wait, so that last pic, the carter pin shreded the bolt like that?
  10. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:

No, that was to show the set screws.

That is the current cofig on the seat motor's and holding strong.

Broken coder pin was on Traction loss.
  11. substatica

substatica Member

Balance:
    882Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 1 / -0
    So I understand, the pin's purpose in that last shot is to keep that bolt in place, which is helping to marry the shaft to the bore and there's a matching bolt and pin on the other side of the bore on that shaft as well? In addition to the threaded bore and set screws?
  12. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    The Pin in the last shot is preventing the Nut from backing off the main axle shaft. On my Seat motor's I only have the Set screw's and Single Pin preventing the Nut from backing off.

Now On my traction loss i have a coder pin doing the same thing, Preventing the nut from backing off. As well as a 5-40 x 1" that i drilled through the gear and the axle to KEY the Gear to the Axle bolt. The Picture of the messed up axle bolt is when a Smaller (all be it Too small of bolt) broke and along with the set screw's did the damage in the pic, which is part reason i suggest a through bolt vs a Coder pin or similar.

BEST case scenario is a Shouldered bolt sized to fit.

The Picture you posted with the small pin will Not work, IF your main nut backs off it will SHEAR that pin in 1/10 of a second, and will provide little resistance to the axle wanting to "twist" in the gear.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. substatica

substatica Member

Balance:
    882Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 1 / -0
    Ahh, a through bolt does certainly sound like a better option, I think I'll swap that out.
  14. Blame73

Balance:
    8,255Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,106 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    A through bolt is what broke my motor's shaft 'cause it wasn't perfectly centered. So pay much attention if you go for it
  15. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:

How big of bolt did you use ? The First Bolt i used was far undersized for the job being a 4-40.
  16. Blame73

Balance:
    8,255Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,106 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I drilled a 2.5mm hole
  17. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:

My 4-40 that broke would measure up at 2.8mm so i could somewhat understand why yours broke as well. Although, do i expect the 5-40 bolt to be able to hold the weight if the Main adjustment nut were to back off (NOT possible when you drill the tightening nut+Axle) No. I would assume a 5-40 would snap just as easy as 4-40 with a driver in place. I also HIGHLY recommend using loctite on a lot of our Metal to metal joint's. Its only a matter of time before something rattle's loose, and loctite will just aid in preventing that.

Also remember the 4-40 I broke was on my Traction loss, So not moving a Balanced Pivot point, Its trying to throw the entire Rig side to side, and while my rig isn't a 1000Lbs, its Not exactly light with the 100's of screw's and Lbs of glue ive done over her life. Add in the Inertia that get's going with a 25:1 box on a 100mm lever arm and 4" of travel side to side. there's quite a bit of Force going on when the car in game Swaps Ends and the Rig proceeds to go all the way from one side to the other. My first set of motor "stops" Broke and they were made of steel. Motion Simply bent and snapped the screw's that mounted them.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blame73

Balance:
    8,255Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,106 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yep, I agree. I didn't use loctite and sometime started loosing and started playing (I don't know if it's the right word, in Italian we say play when it's not more fixed and there's some gap or little movements). Then one side of the hole became bigger and led the shaft to break. Add it was moving the balanced point, so more force, more damage...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    I drill a 3.2mm hole and us a simple automotive split pin, I rather it snap then my sim get damaged from a motor freaking out.
    TouchWood have not have one break yet and I flog the hell out of my sim, as in its tossed me out of the seat twice, think I need seat belts , lol.
  20. Daguru

Daguru Rally drivers do it in the Dirt

Kitchen installer
    Balance:
    453Coins
    Ratings:
    +632 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform
    @Blame73 yes we say play as well to discribe slight movement between two parts :thumbs