1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

New 2dof simulator simtools + Jrk 12v12

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by gigi, May 29, 2014.

1. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    901Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    I use the same motors and pots that you use- pots are Bourns 6639s
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  3. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    901Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
  4. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Ok slow the motors down, change the max duty cycle to 300 and accel to 200.
    retest if not stable at 0 then a pid tuning will be needed as the motors are not the same
    Try adjusting the speeds and test manual slider , increase them if stable movements.
  5. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    901Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    I try but the problem is the same. sigh
  6. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    901Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    here the images of configuation

Attached Files:

7. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    901Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    here a small video of my problem
  8. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    901Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    do you think it's a pololu jrk configuration or xsimulator configuration?
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you havent set the feedback.
    I can see that.
    did you move the motor/pot to a max position, set and then to a min position, set and apply settings?

10. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Before even trying SimTools you need to test via the Pololu Configuration utility.
  11. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    901Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    not resolved. I change the max duty cycle to 300 and accel to 200 but the poblem is the same.
    As need to translate your post and suggest in italian using google translator please write in correct english
    avoiding abbreviations.I have no knowledge of electronics and for me The setup is extremely difficult. imperfect understanding of the posts due to a faulty translation makes everything more complicated
    thanks for your understanding and help
  12. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    again, did you set the feedback correctly,
    your feedback settings are wrong
    thats not right.
    Look at the video I posted and you can see that the numbers should not be like that.
    Do you have the pot attached to the motor shaft?
    Move the motor in one direction like I did with the joyrider frame, set the max, then move it the other way and set the min.
    Granted the pots were connected to the frame and not the motor, but it is still the same principal for setting feedback correctly.

did the videos help or not?
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
  13. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    901Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    I try to configure again. here the phothos and video

Attached Files:

14. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    901Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    please wath this other video to "center the output"?
  15. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok, feedback looks better, but something is not right. Maybe you need to find the centre of the pot reading.
    Now, I suggest to take the wires off the pot, and get a multimeter and with ohms reading, wind the pot shaft back and forth till you find a middle reading.
    Example, if its a 5kohm pot, centre would be about 2.4, 2.5 kohms.
    Once you have done that, centre the lever on the motor, re-solder the pot wires and try again.
    It could be the centre of the pot is not right and or you have wired the pot wrong.
    Check that.
    if its all ok, then reset feedback and test the motor in the input tab. Forget the "motor centre" command in jrk.
    The video is too dark to see whats going on.
    I have sent a message to @eaorobbie so he can check. he should be online in a few hours.
  16. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    901Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    hi dave and thanks for your support
    sorry for the video. itthatinterest the parts you can see and what is the first determinate the request of the "center of the output than click ok"
    As I wrote .... I have no knowledge of electronics .... so I'm not able to use a multimeter. In any case, as I mentioned in the previous posts, connect the Pots. these are the Pots
    http://www.conrad.it/ce/it/product/...639S-1-502-single-turn-Lineare-5-kOhm-1-W-15-
    I connect to GND 1, 2 and 3 to +5 to fb

Attached Files:

• pot.jpg
      pot.jpg
      File size:
      165.1 KB
      Views:
  17. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can you take photos of the side of the motor where the pot is fitted please.
    You may need to swap the wire GND and 5v around.
    I found sometimes even though I follow instructions, the wires need to be set opposite.
    Again, I suspect you may have the potentiometer set wrong.
    The pot is a 340 deg turn, not a 360, that means the pot will have a stop point. Has that been broken at any stage by the motor spinning around with the pot fitted.
    The pot has its own centre that cannot be found with the JRK utility.
    Its basic electronics.
    Connect the red wire of the multimeter to 2 and the black wire to 3. Read off the display until you find the maximum reisitance, the minimum resistance and also about half way in between.
    If you cannot use a multimeter to find it, then find someone whom can help you.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    901Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    Hi Dave!
    Here a video. I connected the wire as you suggest.

The pot is bourns 6639s . Here datasheets http://www.bourns.com/pdfs/6539.pdf . These pots are the ones you suggest in your many posts.
    In datasheets yes I read 340°
    Do you use it? If yes can you please check if wires need to be set opposite?
    If I reverse the cables there is a risk of damaging the card?
    Thanks
  19. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thats more like it. Well done!
    Now find the half way reading as you can see and thats the centre of the pot, match that with the centre position of the motor.
    http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/potentiometers/1642661/ these are the ones I use, but even a 270 deg cheap pot will do as you would be only using 150 deg turn of a motor.
    A 360 deg turn pot is a safeguard in case the motor spins freely , so the pot does not break.
    With yours wind the max accell right down to 100 so it turn very slowly, so if the motor goes the wrong way, you can hit the stop motor in JRK utility.
    Once the motor goes the right way and moves the right way in the INPUT tab of JRK utility testing with set target slider , (tick automatically set target box first) apply settings, click run motor and slide the bar back and forth to see if the motor lever moves up and down.
    It it goes around the wrong way at first, invert the feedback direction box in feedback. If that still doesnt help, invert the motor direction tick box in MOTOR tab . test and re test.
    Once its set right, change max accell back to 500 and that should do it.

I connect Vin to 1 , feedback to 2 and 5v to 3.
    If it goes crazy, I reverse 2 and 3 connections. No it should not damage anything.
    R1642661-02.jpg
  20. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    901Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    pot have a range 0f 5,32 so the center is 2,66.
    Now with the pot in the center (2,66) What should I do to communicate to jrk that this position is the center of the motor?