1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

New 2dof simulator simtools + Jrk 12v12

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by gigi, May 29, 2014.

1. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    900Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    Hello everyone,First of all congratulations to the creators of this amazing site that allows any fan of simulation to realize their own toy.I recently made a static simulator , inspired by a 2dof made by Kevin . Now I am going to turn it into 2dof and I'm here to ask for your help for the choice of components.The idea is : JRK 12v12 + simtools , it seems universally recognized as the solution ' easier to implement and configure, as well as among the most' economical .Here are my questions.
    1 ) If I want to use only one Pc instead two wichi is minimal configuration required ( obviously trying to spend as little as possible) ? which processor ? Hard disk? Ram? Video Card ? I'm not computer expert and I would like to understand exactly what I need
    2 ) I would like to the wiper motors of these 3 courses : http://www.ebay.it/itm/MOTORINO-MOT...560?pt=Ricambi_automobili&hash=item233a17b8f0 What do you think ?
    These are cheaper? Do you suggest me another type better?
    3 ) I seem to have realized that the motors must have an excursion of 180 degrees. Wanting to connect each potentiometer shaft of each motor , without using pulleys so that pots should I use? There potentiometer with rotation of 180 ° ? It ' better to buy a normal potentiometer and connect it to the motor with a pair of gears which reduce the ratio ½ ? The motor has the cable for high speed and low speed . Should I use only one for high speed and isolate the other? What changes should I make to the motor ?
    4) This power supply is enough to power the card and engines ? http://www.ebay.it/itm/ALIMENTATORE...sori_da_videosorveglianza&hash=item338cbbd125
    Thank you for the help that you give me

Buongiorno a tutti,
    Complimenti innanzitutto agli ideatori di questo fantastico sito che permette a qualunque appassionato di simulazione di realizzare il proprio giocattolo.
    Ho recentemente realizzato un simulatore statico, traendo spunto da un 2dof realizzato
    dall’amico Kevin. Mi appresto ora a trasformarlo in 2dof e sono qui a chiedere il vostro aiuto
    Per la scelta delle componenti.
    L’idea di partenza è: JRK 12v12 + simtools , mi sembra universalmente riconosciuta come la
    Soluzione piu’ facile da realizzare e da configurare, oltre che tra le piu’ economiche.
    Ecco i miei quesiti.
    1) Volendo utilizzare un solo Pc anziché due Pc che configurazione minima è necessaria (cercando ovviamente di spendere il meno possibile) ? quale processore? Hard disk? Ram? Scheda Video? Io non sono esperto di computer e dovendolo acquistare vorrei capire cosa mi serve esattamente
    2) Pensavo di usare i motori tergicristallo della golf 3 questi: http://www.ebay.it/itm/MOTORINO-MOT...560?pt=Ricambi_automobili&hash=item233a17b8f0 Che ne pensate?
    3) Mi sembra di aver capito che i motori devono avere un’escursione di 180 gradi. Volendo collegare ciascun potenziometro all’albero di ciascun motore, senza usare quindi pulegge, che potenziometri devo usare? Esistono potenimtri con rotazione di 180°? E’ preferibile acquistare un potenziometro normale e collegarlo al motorino con una coppia di ingranaggi che riducano il rapporto ½ ? Il motorino ha il cavo per alta velocità e bassa velocità. Devo utilizzare solo quello per l’alta velocità ed isolare l’altro? Quali modifiche devo apportare al motorino?
    4) questo alimentatore è sufficiente ad alimentare scheda e motori? http://www.ebay.it/itm/ALIMENTATORE...sori_da_videosorveglianza&hash=item338cbbd125

Vi ringrazio per l’aiuto che vorrete darmi
    • Like Like x 1
  2. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    1. All depends on the game you wish to run, if pc ran the game fine before installing SimTools then it will run both without an issue.
    SimTools is not resource hungry like some.
    2. I would steer away from wipers, too slow, plus you have to mod the motor by removing its earth from the body of the wiper and then test and test it for an earth or power leaks, so when powering it with the Jrk you don't blow the Jrk or anything connected to your sim, send 12v through the sim is not a good way to end it. The plastic (Nylon) gears don't support much weight or speed, can chew out quickly. But in all the wiper once modded properly and tested will produce a simulator, just sometime not for long.
    3.People have been testing hall effect pots , 180 rev for 100% of value range, but from my tests they don't last too long on high speed motors, should be right for slow wipers. or really for just testing and setting it up, purchase some cheap pots 2-$5 will last as long as the wipers.
    4. Yep will be fine, recommend one per motor or one for both but limit the max amp draw for the Jrk to 20amps or the Jrks will trip the psu out.

So what design you looking too, full 2dof of exist sim pit(if pit is heavy wipers wont last long or wont work), or placing a seat mover into the existing unit (easiest and most effective for race)?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    900Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    Thank you for your intervention.
    1) In fact until today I used the PS3. I never use the PC to play and then I do not know the resources that it needs to have in order to run smoothly modern simulation games. So I ask what features must have a PC to run the game without any problems. I must buy a new or used pc
    2) What motors you suggest?
    3) Do you confirm that it is better to connect the potentiometers directly to the motor shafts without using gears? Which potentiometers and how to get the rotation of 180 ° . The rotation of 180° can be setup through the program simtools?
    4) I agree, I will use 2 JRK 12v12 2 cards, one for each engine. The power supply that I found provides 12v DC 50A. http://www.ebay.it/itm/ALIMENTATORE...sori_da_videosorveglianza&hash=item338cbbd125 It ok for give power to two Jrk 12v12 and 2 motors?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    PC, AMD quad core , 4 gig ram, 32 bit windows 7 , 500 gb hdd (black) , decent graphics card - GTX660 , DVD burner drive, half decent motherboard, good psu to run it all. New may be about $800 AU, or find second hand around
    Rotation of 180 in Simtools? Not sure, but you would be using maybe 150 deg of the 180 deg of a motor turn anyway.
    Motors, http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GEAR-MOTOR-1...ILLCRAB-POT-PULLFEED-150160-rpm-/370915744975 these are good, fast and strong.
    For pot connection, ive used gears and direct fitting. No real difference. Just if you use gears, work out the turns and get a pot near it.
    Or direct in shaft, use a single turn 360 deg wife wound. That way if something goes wrong and the motor spins out of control, the pot doesnt get broken.
    the JRK 12v12 for sure, but allow 40 amps per motor with big motors. so you need 2 power supplies best.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    900Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    Thaks a lot!
    Regarding the pc what do you think about this one?:
    Motherboard: Socket AM3 + (2x Sata 3, 6x SATA 2, 2x USB 3.0, 4x USB 2.0, Radeon HD 3000 integrated Unlock CPU Core)
    POWER: 630W with dust filter under the house
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 TOXIC Edition (2GB GDDR5, Dual BIOS)
    RAM: G.Skill (2x2 Gb 1600 Mhz stock, Dual Channel)
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x2 560 (Stock: 2 core @ 3,2 Ghz, Unlocked: 3 core @ 3,9 Ghz)
    SOUND CARD: Diamond Xtreme Sound XS71 (7.1 channels, 24 bits)
    Price used 400Usd
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    900Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    or this one at the same price? :
    Case-Cooler Master Elite black
    Processor-AMD Phenom II X4 965 B.E. 3.4 Ghz
    -8 GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz
    -Hard Disk 250 GB Western Digital
    HArd Disk-40 GB Seagate
    -Video Card Nvidia Geforce 650 2GB GDDR5
    -Motherboard ASUS M4A88T / M
    650-Watt Power Supply Corsair
    -CD-DVD Burner Sony Optiarc
    -Monitor Philips 227E LED 22 "widescreen
    -Sound System Creative Inspire P580 5.1
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    900Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    Another offer:
    Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-3330 CPU@3.00GHz
    Video card: GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Boost DVI-I Dual Link / Single Link DVI-D / Display Port / HDMI DirectCU II OC
    1 1 TB HDD - Barracuda 7200.14 1TB SATA III 6Gb / s 3.5 "64MB Buffer 7200 rpm
    1 HDD 500 GB
    1 HDD 250
    2 Burners
    Front USB, Cardreader (Micro SD, xD, MS / MS PRO DUO, CF / CFII, M2, SD / SDHC / MMC)
    Memory Dimm HyperX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz NON-ECC CL9
    Cooler Master Case
    Mouse "Classroom" Gaming Mouse White 4 DPI: 800/1200/1600/2000 with the "double click"
    Multifunction keyboard 4tech
    Price used 400euro

Sorry but but I really do not understand anything about pc gaming. Which oneof the this three you suggest?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    this one would be good, as it has a quad core cpu. Graphics card is ok, it may struggle a bit under higher resolution (thats every setting maxxed out) with the codemasters titles (just turn down the settings a bit), but will run fine with Simbin titles, rfactor 1.
    comparison between GTX 650 and Raedom 6970
    http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=681&card2=638 , raedon is better.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    good pc , but you would need to find a quad core CPU for it. Graphics card is good.
    doesnt say what HDD is has in it.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    AMD CPU computers are cheaper to buy overall than INTEL CPU computers. AMD more than does the job for what we are doing. I cannot afford INTEL , so I use AMD and it works perfect all the time.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    plenty of HDD space, but would would best look for a quad core CPU to replace the dual core. And the graphics card is ok, but as said for the other machine with a similar GPU , it may struggle a bit under high resolution depending on the game.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Latest AMD cpu's mixed with AMD (Raedon) video is what I use for gaming , my coding pc is a i5 handles vb.net better than the AMD unit.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    900Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    Many thanks also to robbie. In this we Ill decide regards these 3 options. Regarding ..i decided...motors the ones suggest from bsft, 2 jrk 12v12 and two power supply (40a each) one for each jrk. two of these should be ok...what do you think?
    http://www.ebay.it/itm/ALIMENTATORE...sori_da_videosorveglianza&hash=item338cbbd125
    Regardin the potentiometers do you have some suggest? wich type and model? and how to connect? directly or using two gear with ratio 1:2 ? Do you know a correct way to testing the moviment without broken the potentiometers? .
    Sorry guys I Know...a lot of questions!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, those power supplies are good. I have 2 similar, so does a friend of mine and I think several others. They work well. One power supply per motor for sure.
    As for pots, heres what I use http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/potentiometers/1642661/ , continuous turn and cannot break. Or look for something similar, but be prepared to spend a bit of money.
    For mounting, the popular choice is directly into the back of the motor shaft bolt.
    Drill a hole in the centre to allow the pot shaft to fit in, then a smaller hole, say 2mm through the pot shaft and the bolt, a bit of wire through all that to hold the pot. Mount the pot on a flexible bracket and mount the bracket on the motor housing so it moves with the motor.
    2014-03-28 10.35.20.jpg
    Ask as you need to.
    Cheers, David.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    900Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    Hi guys! very busy in these days for my work, I haven't time to think my project.
    Another time...thanks to bsf for his support.
    Regarding pc what do you think about this one?
    used price request 470euro
    AMD FX 6300 6-core 3.5 GHz OC
    - Video Card AMD Radeon HD 7870 "OC Edition" 2 GB dedicated RAM
    - 8 GB RAM @ 1600MHz GSKILL ARES
    - Motherboard ASROCK PRO3 970
    - SAMSUNG 500 GB HDD @ 7200 rpm
    - Cooler Alpine artic pro
    - DVD-ROM RW SONY
    - AeroCool homes StrikeXone advance USB 3.0 with 2 fans
    Operating system: Windows 8.1 in Italian PRO enabled.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    I would rip Window 8 off but SimTools will work with it, I have tested 8 and 8.1.
    Maybe later increase the RAM from 8 - 16 at least.
    Would serve as a good base to start on. Should run most racing games well too.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    900Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    i could instal windows 7 instead windows 8...
    • Like Like x 1
  18. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    900Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    It's a 6 core...it's not better than the other 3 confiruration I posted last week?
    • Like Like x 1
  19. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ah yep , post #5 is a dual core, wouldn't got there, #6 is only a 4 core , base , same as the #7 is only a 4 core.
    I personally was a n intel person until I bought my x6 3.9 AMD which is now my sons sim machine and I enjoy my AMDx8.
    I have found AMD handles the games better, lacks a little in power for code building thou, catch it thinking now and again. Specially in AutoCAD. Which I use me i5 laptop for, crunches numbers better.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Windows 8 working well here with all games that I have installed.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1