1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Need power for a big weight

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by AldoZ, Sep 9, 2010.

1. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hello all.
    In these days i am trying to understand all the major topics of the matter of
    moving platforms. I am very happy to the level i reached for now. Days ago i was in
    the total dark but now (thanks to your help) i understand many important things about.

I am seriously looking for the SX3000 starting pack.
    But there are some things that don't aim perfectly with my objective:the power and the maximum number of handled actuators.
    The SX3000 handle up to 3 SNC5 actuators (12kgf). Sure is good but i am looking for a biggest power.
    So, in the end of september there will be the SX4000. This is a big forward step because it can handle up to 4 SNC6 actuators (44kgf)

My questions:
    1) I think the 44kfg is the maximum wheight supportable by the actuator, so, 44 kg right?
    one Actuators 44kg*3 = 132 kg. Can this be ok if i think to build a 3actuators platform ?(as the image show to you)

2) The SX3000 (i think the SX4000 too) can handle ModBus RS485 standard actuators too.
    Ok, So Firgelli actuators follow this standard? And if these Firgelli actuators are compatible with SX3/4000 device, are these actuators fastest as (so and so) the SNC6 actuators (example, the Firgelli 18 Stroke 200 lbs Force Linear Actuator [FA-240-S-12-18] )

In other words, can i find something like SX3/4000 (a very friendly starting kit) working with more powerful (and i hope fast) acutators?
    What is the best way i have to follow if i would to build a platform as the one showed on the picture?

Thank you in advance. Immagine4.JPG
  2. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    If there would be such a starting kit, I'm pretty sure you would know about it.

I don't see any problems why you couldn't use other RS485 devices with the SX3000/SX4000, but IMO it wouldn't be very practical. You would need a stronger power supply for stronger actuators, possibly 2. You could use the USB-Serial converter that is in it, but everything else would need to be changed. Further more, other actuators might need a completely different plugin to operate, which is not available for you.

In other words, don't strip apart the Starter Kit, you won't be using much from it in the end.

You can put one larger spring under the whole seat, or smaller ones for each actuator to eliminate the force of gravity. If the springs are the right weight, the actuators only have to work when they move the platform. Even then you might run into trouble.
  3. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hi Frakk, so you mean that with the appropriate springs i can use SNC6 (44kg) for a platform as the one I have shown? This is very simple but in last great!. Are there some example (pics, tutorials) from witch i can see the that?

And again, are Firgelli actuators RS485 standard?
  4. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I didn't say the SCN6s will work with a spring. It will greatly depend on the weight and how aggressive the motion profile is.

No tutorials I know of. Building motion platforms is a very new hobby.

I have no idea what a Firgelli actuator is. (I do, but why don't you look up the details yourself?)
  5. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    AldoZ mate i found linear actuators pricy here in australia so i followed the line of the wiper motor then converted it to a 900kg Winch and Im 80kg and i can stand directlty on the moving arm plus simulators weight and it doesnt slow or produce heat, by spec the motor can lift 200kg vertically and pull 900kg horizonally will drawing 20amps, inturn used the Jrk12v12 Motor Controller to drive the winch in x-sim.
  6. sn4il

sn4il New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think Firgelli actuators are too slow, if I remember corectly they move at 1/2 per sec.
    SCN5 can go as fast as 400mm/sec (~15/sec)
    sn4il
  7. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Not only are the Firgelli too slow, I've had conversations with engineers there. The consensus is that they are not designed for this duty cycle and after a short while, would sieze to internal heat build-up.
  8. iamcanadian2

iamcanadian2 Member

floating docks
    Balance:
    52Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
  9. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hello eaorobbie, can you provide me specifications about these actuators? Speed under load, price ecc
  10. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Well mate ya proberly read ya pm by now but here is the video of winch in action, this is only a $99aus, and using a Jrk12v12 controller once shipped is about $100aus queit cheap considering $400 for ya mechanics gets ya up and running queit quick.
    By the way the motor is only running at 50% duty cycle cause power unit in video was only an 8amp unit have upgraded to a 20amp power supply (about $160aus) and 5 turn pot geared dircectly to motor. And wow if ya hit the bump too fast ya gunna put ya neck out, yea a sim seat thats wound up can delivers wiplash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zojT1ioxnSo

Works for me not too good in the electronic dept but can fabricate that how i earn me crust. :thbup: