1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Need a little help getting started

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Zion64, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Zion64

Zion64 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey! I've just become a member and I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few suggestions. So me and my brothers are wanting to build a 3DOF motion simulator platform and right now we are just in our planning stage. Mostly what we need right now is a budget plan so we can do product and pricing research. The design we are thinking about emulating is something like in this video

http://ph.video.yahoo.com/watch/2135256/6745965

so I've been doing a little bit of research from your site and others and I've got a couple of questions.

1) Would it be cheaper to build the kind of platform we want using linear actuators or electric motors? would they have the same basic performance?
    2) In general what specs should i be looking for in the actuators/motors to give me proficient and satisfactory motion?

before answering those let me tell you what our situation is...
    We are trying to go very thrifty on this project and our budget is around $1000 if need be we will go over but that's what we are shooting for (If its at all possible!). We have this idea that we want to use this platform for multiple simulations for example racing, flight, maybe even snowboard/skateboard etc. So we would still like which ever motion source (actuator or motor) to give us enough torque and speed for jerking motion if a full sized man were to sit or stand on it plus the weight of any simulation gear (racing wheel and accessories) so estimating around 250-300lbs. We are also leaning more toward the motor driven motion and a metal chassis like in the video from the link.

I'm a relative noob on this subject and basically just any suggestions or pointers in the right direction would be much, much appreciated.

Thanks for your time!