1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

My simple sim motion chair

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by ApacheXMD, May 31, 2009.

1. adbgg

adbgg Member

Balance:
    132Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your quick response ApacheXMD :

1) Because I can see that my motherboard doesn't support directly RS232 (I must add an additionnal card, not expensive it is not really a problem), do you think an USB version of the pololu card should work with X-sim ? Easiest to connect to the PC.

2) Do you thing it could occur problem of speed communication because of USB connection ? I know that RS232 can provide 38400 bauds, but what about USB connection ? I don't know exactly what is the speed ? Perhaps USB is quick enough to communicate with little servo. But with others bigger motors like DC motor or biggest like AC motors (connected to a servo without motor, as you explained in your graph) ? What do you think about this ?

I give you the link to the USB card I'm thinking about => Micro Maestro 6-channel USB Servo Controller : http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1350

3) Do you think you can drive very big AC motors (like AC motor 500 watts for example) with your idea ?

Sorry, but I have a lot of questions concerning your idea, because it seems to be a great and a new possibility to make easily a DIY motion simulator, also with big motors.
    Thanks in advance ApacheXMD. See you.
    Adbgg
  2. adbgg

adbgg Member

Balance:
    132Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Forget my question ApacheXMD.
    I've already placed an order for a USB micro maestro card, which is presented on the pololu website as the new version of the previous RS232 one.
    First, I will try to build a prototype with little servo (like you), and I hope it will work with X-SIM softawre.
    I'm a newbie in this kind of DIY motion simulator.
    See you.
    Adbgg
  3. ApacheXMD

ApacheXMD New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That Micro Maestro servo controller looks very nice. It looks like it should work with X-Sim because it has virtual serial ports that will get installed on your host computer. X-Sim should interface with the virtual ports.

In order to drive larger AC motors, you will need to look for an AC motor drive. If you want to follow my idea and use a hacked motorless servo, the AC motor drive will somehow have to interface with the servo. I'm not sure that it can be done in a simple manner. Plus AC motor drives (VFDs) are usually very expensive.
  4. adbgg

adbgg Member

Balance:
    132Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes, DIY with big AC motors is a certainly an expensive solution. I've read some posts from Riton and Scottlolo (2 french guys) and they have realised awesome 2 DOF, based on AC motors. Very impressive but also expensive solution, that's right.
    Your solution is cheaper (servo controller card + little motors), but it could be interesting to test servo controller + large AC motors. I don't know exactly at this time, I will start with a little prototype first, like you. Just to understand and to test your idea with X-sim.

I know also that large AC motors will need certainly others components, maybe variateurs de fréquence (in french). Riton and Scottlolo have developped 2 DOF motion based on VM110 + VM129 and AC motors connected to variateur de fréquence. Very expensive solution (around 2 or 3 K€ I believe) but also impressive results. But finally, not so expensive compared to the solutions you can find from business company (Force-dynamics, Blue-Tiger, etc...).
    I've ordered my card (micro maestro USB servo controller) yesterday, from pololu website. I live in France, so I will received the package in several days. I will let you know about connection with the PC and if it is recognized easily by the softawre X-sim.
    Thanks again ApacheXMD.
    Regards.
  5. theboemio

theboemio New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ApacheXMD hello!

your simulator seems unbelievable to me, now I'm trying to build one, but I have several problems not solved yet.

I have a servo controller as yours and I have two servos power model hd hd-1800th to Pololu also purchased

for example: get directions to the servo at the USO but nothing happens the green light only flashes of the servo controller, I'm missing some step? It would be kind enough to conpartir your configuration of the USO?

What should I do with the DTR and RTS?

I hope I can answer my questions thank you very much!