1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom My SCN5 sim

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Gelatin, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Gelatin

Gelatin Active Member

Balance:
    - 376Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    Halo Everyone!

As all of you, I built a sim too :)
    Asked me to post some picture, so I post here, I think this is the best place to do this.

So, here some pictures about my sim.

I started with Frex basics but I quicly changed parts to my DiY trials.
    It's about 4-5 years old, so it's used a bit. I do hardtest on it all the time, must be strong because of the trainings.
    That is why I modded a G25 and I changed everything inside to metals and steels :) Modded pedalkit and H-shifter to make it stronger and made a hydraulic brake system for pneumatic feelings as well.
    Dropped expensive japanies controll system for a cheapest version: I use a simple rs232 to rs 485 for actuators (couple of euros in Hungary...) so I can use this great software called Simtool. :D

The simulator is massive, strong machine, no problem with it at all. I can recommend by heart, really.
    I know, time to renew some parts and a save money to change my displays to 3D led Tv's, change g25 to at least a Thrustmaster t500 rs (off course it will mod immadiately) and I'd like to build a pro sec-shifter (like in racecars) and a hidro-handbrake for my stepson.
    I decided long time ago beside SCN5, because it's so simple and great developping. More than enough speeding, more than enough informations about g-forces, and it has lot of benefits against others. Only one wrongside is the price of actuators...

Anyway, this is a neverending story, if you start, you can not stop building and developing at all :)

100_8012.JPG 100_8011.JPG 100_8010.JPG 100_8013.JPG 100_8014.JPG 100_8015.JPG 100_8016.JPG 100_8017.JPG 100_8018.JPG

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great looking build there
  3. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Wow! That is a great rig.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Gelatin

Gelatin Active Member

Balance:
    - 376Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    1st video about tune Simtool.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gelatin

Gelatin Active Member

Balance:
    - 376Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    my set is:

speed: 19000
    accel. 890

Axis assign.:
    sway: 70
    surge: 70
    pitch: 20
    heave: 20
    roll: 20

It's quite fast and strong, but the car is 490 HP. It is smoother with small cars :)
    I like to feel more forces. I always use this intensity like this and there's no any problem with actuators for ages at all. Must note, I set amount of actuator axis level 90% all the time, I think this is the most important if you wanna protect your SCN5s

What you think bsft or any of you? Any suggestion?
    Do you tune filters?
  6. Barry

Barry Active Member

Web Developer
    Balance:
    3,877Coins
    Ratings:
    +251 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Great setup. I like how the movement isn't huge but it appears to be very accurate. I'm not a fan of the rigs that seem to move far too much. That one looks very realistic.
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Gelatin , motion is personal preference. It looks good from the video, not sure what game you are playing. Nor the car.
    It is a balance to find a motion that suits most. If you have a setting thats smoother with smaller cars, say like a STCC car , where as you can still feel road vibration and a decent bit of sway and surge, and then again, if you jump into a radical, which is small and powerful for its size, well, they are a handful.
    Short story long, motion looks good and as long as you are happy with it, then thats the main thing. Different tracks, different cars produce different results.
  8. Gelatin

Gelatin Active Member

Balance:
    - 376Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    Thx. It's Getting better. I'm just starting to learn game engine about filtering and tuning center. I enjoy so much this software.

The SCN5 moves a lot and very quick indeed, but the rig moves only your bust, not your whole body, thats the second thing why you can feel the forces, traction loss, sliding almost immediatelly. You can feel the car via your muscle and your center of gravity. You feel movements of car's bodyweight in your belly :)
    SCN5 could be a quite pro solution to get more realistic feelings, if you have a good program to set up well.
    I've been tried couple of solution before, but I think this is the best 'till now.
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    without hacking the thread too much, if you want sheer fast forces, and yes granted its GRID2 which is an arcade style game, have a look at this.

I am still playing with tuning centre numbers almost all the time.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Gelatin

Gelatin Active Member

Balance:
    - 376Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    I agree with that. Thx, your notes :)
    I started with small cars of course as you suggested. I feel all road details, bumps, downhill, uphill.
    I drive a FZ50 GTR in LFS. The track is Westhill.
    I waited so much to try other programs as well.

Tomorrow I'll start download plugins and try Simtool with rFactor and GTR2 to feel different.
    I'll post further video's if you interest in it :) But sorry for lowrate videos, have to find my camera...
  11. Gelatin

Gelatin Active Member

Balance:
    - 376Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    :) Never stop learn
  12. Gelatin

Gelatin Active Member

Balance:
    - 376Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    Cheap hydraulic brake, priceless feeling.

I made this one year ago, so this period was an endurance test. I was thinking simply, nothing special...
    It works perfect without any problem.

Sorry to say that have no any picture of mounting, it's a relatively old project. I can post only about finised product by now, if anyone interested to build one.

What could be more realistic than the real carparts.
    I did not spend lot of money to buy good quality simulator components for that and make some kind of expensive pressure sensor one.
    The pot still more than enough for me. It is true, pot send linear data, even I got good result in feeling. I think enough to feel the pneumathic impact (in my opinion).

Totally cost around 30 euro (present).

Fortunatelly eastern carshops still alive in Hungary :)
    I use a trailer master cylinder and a LADA's caliper, what is works against valve spring.
    I recommend to go a shop of used car parts who's wanna feel great braking and don't want to spend lot of money.

One great thing. Smells like real cars :)
    (Just kidding) only at install

100_8043.JPG 100_8044.JPG 100_8045.JPG 100_8046.JPG
    • Like Like x 4
  13. seppel

seppel Member

Balance:
    224Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    hi joseph,
    great work with your rig !!! especially your pedals are great. i get some good inspiration for my pedalproject.
    if you try gtr2 youll see that the game support only surge, sway and heave and is no comparison to rf.
    i play gtr2 long time but now i prefer rf1&2 and ac, cause for our rigs its a lot more fun!
    best regards
    seppel
  14. Gelatin

Gelatin Active Member

Balance:
    - 376Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    Thx, do it, you won't regret it. ;)
    I'm a GTR2 fun too :) and of course I like rFactor as well. Have some favorit mods for that.
    I saw that GTR2 has only 3 forcec, but it's enough for shake a nice one in it.
    But, My first and best favorit is the LFS. I haven't found any better sim yet. LFS forever!!!

Perhaps we will meet on a nice server one time :)
    But still tune my rig
    R, Joseph
  15. Gelatin

Gelatin Active Member

Balance:
    - 376Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    Seppel, have you tried LFS?
  16. seppel

seppel Member

Balance:
    224Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    no not yet :(
  17. Gelatin

Gelatin Active Member

Balance:
    - 376Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    If you love to drive, love online racing, I think you should try. Demo version is free, but only three car in it with one track. Two small street cars and a Formula BMW FB02. I recommend, even not easy at all. A different dimension (personal opinion) :)
    • Like Like x 1
  18. shannonb1

shannonb1 Well-Known Member

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor, Arduino, JRK, 4DOF
    nice break mod
  19. Gelatin

Gelatin Active Member

Balance:
    - 376Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    cheers shannon
  20. Gelatin

Gelatin Active Member

Balance:
    - 376Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    The new Simtool values are:

Speed: 18000
    Acc.: 799

Surge: 75% (one of Dir is inverted)
    Sway: 75% (Both of Dir are inverted)
    Pitch: 11%
    Roll: 13% (one of Dir inverted - opposit as Surge in my case)
    Heave: 7% (both of Dir inverted -better feeling at very low values)

I feel each forces so clearly and precise even I tuned used set such an intense.
    I use totally 75mm of the 100mm SCN'5's axis.
    I've not used any Filter yet, perhaps later, together with tunecenter.

I'll start to build the Traction loss axis soon, so rig will has a 6th Force too: extra1
    Not too bad at all at the moment. I know that sway and surge a bit high, but I like to feel more different between streetcars and racecars. Let it move strong if I have a 500 HP car under me. It's not a Kindergarten anyway.
    I can drive formula1 car only 40-50 minutes at racespeed and must to rest a bit after that :) quite strong, but what a fellings :)

Almost working well, so If I'll have time than I start to learn tunecenter at last, to make better and better and smoother and smoother... :)
    • Winner Winner x 1